Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2013, 10:16 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,824,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
UrbanCheetah, I figured you have some sense. You should really look into the museums in NYC. I understand museums aren't everybodies thing, or that they are unaware or whatever, I get it. This is crazy talk though, both in terms of quality, quantity and positioning. Obviously neither one of you have walked by Central Park on 5th ave or you wouldn't be saying this. One of the most absurd claims I've *ever* seen on this board. Can't we go back to arguing architecture, skyline, pizza, nightlife? Chicago can at least put up a fight in those areas and posters claiming things won't look so embarrassingly misinformed.
I actually wasnt claiming anything. If you look back at my post I was only clarifying what the poster had posted. But I never made a claim bout anything.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:17 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancheetah View Post
i actually wasnt claiming anything. If you look back at my post i was only clarifying what the poster had posted. But i never made a claim bout anything.
np.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:29 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,824,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
np.
And we can discuss pizza, skyline, and architecture all we want but im starting to realize its just a pissing party by both parties and these arguments go nowhere, especially when you have tard and sur showing up in each thread that has Chicago and bash it. These city vs. city threads while entertaining are pretty trivial and a waste of time. Im trying to stay away from it, and spend time on more useful threads, esp when the mods do nothing.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:07 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Wow....thanks for the obsession. Urban Cheetah was right....I did not intend to say that Chicago has better museums, just that they are better positioned, especially for tourists.

Where in New York is there a combo like the Art Institute, the Field Museum, Aquarium and Planetarium? All four are within walking distance and can be enjoyed by a family in one full day.

And I've stepped foot in NYC dozens of times, yet still I manage to agree with myself....imagine that!
Well, the distance between the Metropolitan Museum in NYC to the American Museum of Natural History (which features the Hayden Planetarium) directly across Central Park is about the half distance between the Art Institute and the Planetarium in Chicago. The Met itself is part of Museum Mile which is a less than a mile stretch of many museums with several major institutions with the Guggenheim and the Cooper Hewitt Design Museum (a Smithsonian institution) being the most notable (though Neue Galerie is my favorite).

Basically, those are all places bordering or close to bordering the southern half or so of Central Park (really picturesque setting and embedded in the great neighborhoods of the Upper West Side and the Upper East Side) and also include in close walking distance the American Museum of Natural History are the Whitney, the Frick Collection, the American Folk Art Museum, the Museum of Art and Design, and Lincoln Center (with the Metropolitan Opera). MOMA is somewhat out of that area, but it's really not that long of a walk, and it's really easy by taxi or transit. I think these together are a much larger collection of famous cultural institutions in an equivalent area to what you're referring to.

Now in terms of what I find really interesting about Chicago, I'd say its interplay with both the lakefront and the riverfront as well as the infrastructure downtown. The multiple decks and the alleyways are fantastic. I think Chicago especially in the Loop and just north of it is really picturesque--I just wish it went on like that for a somewhat greater area. Also, the new (newer?) constructions towards the south and west of the Loops are garbage compared to other parts. I kind of wish Chicago would just completely go balls out and try a bunch of different things. Narrow down LSD and make it easy to cross for pedestrians for a while, see how that works. Try putting shops on some of the different decks of the bi or trilevel streets, try converting some of the alleyways to something like what's done with the laneways in Melbourne, do a lot better job of cleaning and signing the underground tunnels in the Loop and try to expand on them, etc.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-13-2013 at 11:22 AM..

Old 10-13-2013, 12:03 PM

There's around 10 other museums than what you listed lining Central Park like el Museum del Barrio, Jewish Museum, National Academy museum, Museum for African Art, Goethe, etc.. Nice eloquent response but I was so surprised by his post I didn't bother b/c it was just an absurd statement. While the Chicago museums are fantastic, it just shows know knowledge of NYC, like the guy has never heard of 5th ave lol. And certainly hasn't walked down it or around central park, b/c he would see how many of them are there and deal with the crowds of pedestrians. It's basically like 2 Michigan avenues lining both sides, and instead of shopping, it's lined with museums and rich pent houses. The number of clustered museums in Chicago pale in comparison, and it isn't even close. Just by itself, the MET is larger than the field museum, art institute, planetarium and aquarium combined. It also has an 8x larger collection than the art institute. I feel like I'm arguing with people off an SNL bears skit on here sometimes that live out in Joliet or something. Frankly, it's making people from Chicago look dumb. Fortunately, in real life, I don't know anybody who would make such outrageous claims.

Last edited by grapico; 10-13-2013 at 12:17 PM..

Old 10-13-2013, 12:14 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,379,341 times
[quote=OyCrumbler;31790700]Well, the distance between the Metropolitan Museum in NYC to the American Museum of Natural History (which features the Hayden Planetarium) directly across Central Park is about the half distance between the Art Institute and the Planetarium in Chicago. The Met itself is part of Museum Mile which is a less than a mile stretch of many museums with several major institutions with the Guggenheim and the Cooper Hewitt Design Museum (a Smithsonian institution) being the most notable (though Neue Galerie is my favorite).

Basically, those are all places bordering or close to bordering the southern half or so of Central Park (really picturesque setting and embedded in the great neighborhoods of the Upper West Side and the Upper East Side) and also include in close walking distance the American Museum of Natural History are the Whitney, the Frick Collection, the American Folk Art Museum, the Museum of Art and Design, and Lincoln Center (with the Metropolitan Opera). [quote]

Awesome response.....I've walked every inch between all of these.

Yet, when one is done with such culture in NYC, you are more than re-enveloped by the sheer urbanity of Manhattan. Within less than a minute or so, you are swept back into the mega-intensity of Manhattan.

With Chicago's Lakefront museums (and Art Institute), you really feel you are taking a break from the urban experience. You can literally see a Van Gogh, dinosaur, aquatic exhibit one second and be staring at a freshwater sea horizon the next. With all due respect to Manhattan, no such contrast is available there.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:20 PM

555 posts, read 592,072 times
Does anybody think that Chicago shameless boosters really care that in New York within a mile or so you have some of the most acclaimed museums in the world and as opposed to Chicago they are easily accessible by subway?

Do they care that new York's Met is considered one of the top three museums in the world and is the second most visited museum on the planet, right after Louvre? Do they care about Guggenheim, Moma or the fact that based on cultural impact, which includes art museums, New York City simply destroys Chicago?

Why is there so many trolls from Chicago area in this very forum?

Last edited by flotard; 10-13-2013 at 12:28 PM..

Old 10-13-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post

Awesome response.....I've walked every inch between all of these.

Yet, when one is done with such culture in NYC, you are more than re-enveloped by the sheer urbanity of Manhattan. Within less than a minute or so, you are swept back into the mega-intensity of Manhattan.

With Chicago's Lakefront museums (and Art Institute), you really feel you are taking a break from the urban experience. You can literally see a Van Gogh, dinosaur, aquatic exhibit one second and be staring at a freshwater sea horizon the next. With all due respect to Manhattan, no such contrast is available there.
Actually you could just walk into Central Park to escape, as it's about 3x larger than Grant Park, the area you claim gets you away from the city, and is much more picturesque and nature like w/o all the automobile traffic cutting through.

I don't believe you at all, or you are just super super prideful at this point. Why can't Chicago just be what it is?

Old 10-13-2013, 12:25 PM

555 posts, read 592,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
And we can discuss pizza, skyline, and architecture all we want but im starting to realize its just a pissing party by both parties and these arguments go nowhere, especially when you have tard and sur showing up in each thread that has Chicago and bash it. These city vs. city threads while entertaining are pretty trivial and a waste of time. Im trying to stay away from it, and spend time on more useful threads, esp when the mods do nothing.
And you show up in every thread about New York. Midwest1 shows up in every thread about New York and make claims that even the least traveled know to be untrue. Coincidence?

There is no contest, remember that New York City is considered one of the top cities on this planet and one with incomparably bigger cultural impact than Chicago. Chicago is no match for New York, neither is any city on this planet bar London and Paris.

All those childish attempts like "New York museums are the best BUT only Chicago has them on the waterfront" are laughable. There is no "but". Waterfront or not, New York museums, like most things about it, do not have a match anywhere n the US.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:36 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,379,341 times
but lacking in beaches and harbors.

http://www.uhsecho.com/wp-content/up...llapalooza.jpg

Travel photos and user photos of Chicago on Concierge.com

http://www.icelandnaturally.com/medi...lapalooza.jpeg

http://www.cheekychicago.com/wp-cont...grant-park.jpg

http://photography-plus.com/website%...ages%5C302.jpg

http://www.weedist.com/wp-content/up...grant-park.jpg

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/im...l.grant.gi.jpg

Travel photos and user photos of Chicago on Concierge.com

http://0.tqn.com/d/chicago/1/0/Z/3/-...ScottOlson.JPG

and just a bit north of the Museums

http://www.skyscanner.net/sites/defa...go-beaches.jpg

http://www.[blocked due to copyright reasons].com/north-.../s/beaches.jpg

Last edited by midwest1; 10-13-2013 at 12:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City