Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 05:52 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC1980 View Post
This is what I don't understand about people that tour the Chicago area.. when you order a dog it is possible to order what you want on it, not everyone prefers all the condiments.

I've had Nathans before and it's not a bad dog, but there's really nothing unique about it in flavor and definately doesn't compare to vienna beef..not even in the same league.

Far as pizza goes most Chicagoans prefer the Chicago style thin crust over the deep, unfortunately cause of the tourists we're constantly stuck with the deep dish label.
I always do laugh at that. Tourists come and they scream for the deep dish pizza. When I eat pizza with friends or coworkers, what do we eat 99% of the time? Thin style. Not even pan, but almost always thin.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:54 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,783,320 times
Talking about deep dish in Chicago is like talking about rice a roni in SF. No one who lives there really lives and dies by it, much less eats it. And it makes you sound like a tourist.

If you are in the know, with Chicago eats, it is thin crust all the way.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:07 PM

102 posts, read 155,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC1980 View Post
. When's the last time the Knicks won a championship?
When's the last time Chicago posted a population gain?

Old 07-21-2011, 07:09 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Talking about deep dish in Chicago is like talking about rice a roni in SF. No one who lives there really lives and dies by it, much less eats it. And it makes you sound like a tourist.

If you are in the know, with Chicago eats, it is thin crust all the way.
It makes me wonder if you really are from Chicago or just a long time transplant.

I grew up in the burbs and pretty much everyone I grew up with ate Deep Dish pizza at Lou Malnati's, Giordano's, or even Gino's East. Sometimes we went even more authentic to Bert's Place in Morton Grove. And when I do go back to Chicago, I meet my friends for pizza at those places.

So I'm curious as to where you moved to Chicago from.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:34 PM

314 posts, read 423,112 times
I'm the same way, I'd grab a Lou's or a Gino's once every blue moon but for the most part it's strictly thin crust.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
It makes me wonder if you really are from Chicago or just a long time transplant.

I grew up in the burbs and pretty much everyone I grew up with ate Deep Dish pizza at Lou Malnati's, Giordano's, or even Gino's East. Sometimes we went even more authentic to Bert's Place in Morton Grove. And when I do go back to Chicago, I meet my friends for pizza at those places.

Oh be quiet, you are from the north west suburbs. That's why you just named off three chain pizzarias. I've seen people from Iowa figure out better places to grab pizza.My family has been in Chicago since before the Civil War. There's probably 100 posts, if not more, where pretty much everyone in Chicago says they eat thin crust and hardly ever eat Deep Dish, including several posts in this thread.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Oh be quiet, you are from the north west suburbs. That's why you just named off three chain pizzarias. I've seen people from Iowa figure out better places to grab pizza.My family has been in Chicago since before the Civil War. There's probably 100 posts, if not more, where pretty much everyone in Chicago says they eat thin crust and hardly ever eat Deep Dish, including several posts in this thread.
Bert's Place in Morton Grove is a chain? News to me.

Lou Malnati's is a local chain. What are there? 9 or 10 locations?

Perhaps times have changed in the 30 years since you have been 25 or 30 years old, but that's pretty much the places that are left for solid Deep Dish.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:43 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,715 times
Quote:

Like I said in another thread on another topic, maybe it's a burbs thing? Your impression of Chicago seems to be that of a suburbanite.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Bert's Place in Morton Grove is a chain? News to me.

Lou Malnati's is a local chain. What are there? 9 or 10 locations?

Perhaps times have changed in the 30 years since you have been 25 or 30 years old, but that's pretty much the places that are left for solid Deep Dish.
Good lord, Malnati's is a chain, so is Ginos, and Girdano. That would be three.

And there is a reason that those are the only places left for "solid" deep dish:

There's no money in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
Like I said in another thread on another topic, maybe it's a burbs thing? Your impression of Chicago seems to be that of a suburbanite.
There has been an influx of posters on City-Data recently from the Chicago burbs who for what ever reason are taking out issues with their past, on the city of Chicago.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
It is. So what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City