Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 04:59 PM

336 posts, read 768,595 times

Advertisements

Better Hot Dogs

Old 07-06-2011, 06:00 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Thinking of travelling to Chicago or NYC this summer. Went to NYC last summer over the 4th of July weekend to see a few Jays games and check out the ESB etc. Did most of the mainstream touristy things but missed out on a lot of other stuff. I was there only for a few days.

I'm debating whether I should visit Chicago this summer or go back to NY again and really visit and experience the things I had missed out on last year. If I were to visit Chicago instead, what would it have to offer that New York can't?

Btw, I've never been to Chicago before and I've only been to NYC once which was only for a few days. I'm also only 20 so any drinking/clubbing would be out of the question I guess.
If you were from overseas and you only had one chance in a lifetime to visit North America, I would say you should definetely see New York. Then maybe you would hit Washington DC, California, Las Vegas, Florida, the National Parks etc.

But since you already seen part of New York, its not a bad idea to see a different city like Chicago. Chicago is also good for people with limited vacation time because much of the city's attractions are concentrated in the Loop and along the Lake Michigan shoreline. This is in contrast with New York, where the city's attractions are more spread out into the 5 boroughs, especially if you like exploring history and local parks & neighborhoods.

Btw, what attractions did you hit when you were in New York. Might give us an idea what you are missing.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:20 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
here we go ... again

Old 07-06-2011, 06:28 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsing View Post
Better Hot Dogs

Yeah right. NY have the best hot dogs

Old 07-06-2011, 06:34 PM

765 posts, read 1,861,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Thinking of travelling to Chicago or NYC this summer. Went to NYC last summer over the 4th of July weekend to see a few Jays games and check out the ESB etc. Did most of the mainstream touristy things but missed out on a lot of other stuff. I was there only for a few days.

I'm debating whether I should visit Chicago this summer or go back to NY again and really visit and experience the things I had missed out on last year. If I were to visit Chicago instead, what would it have to offer that New York can't?

Btw, I've never been to Chicago before and I've only been to NYC once which was only for a few days. I'm also only 20 so any drinking/clubbing would be out of the question I guess.
Honestly, I'm leaning slightly more to Chicago. You saw New York, felt the vibe, did see some tourist attractions and while I think it is great for you to go back and see more of it, I think you should visit Chicago.

Chicago gives you more variety of things to do. I mean think about it, the downtown area of Chicago is the only place I can think of where you can swim on the beach, enjoy the views of a world-class skyline with world-class architecture, have a variety of places to eat (great food there), walk around to enjoy the scenery, relax on the park, go on top of supertall skyscrapers, visit planetarium/museum/aquarium all without even needing a car or a subway ride....I can walk the entire distances to do all those things. New York is sort of limited in the variety of things you can do, but it makes up for it with sheer size and vibrancy that is unmatched in this part of the world.

Go to Chicago, you'll love it...especially in the summer time. I went there last summer because I already saw NY many times and wanted to explore Chicago...and I truly love that place; I do not regret visiting there and neither will you.

Last edited by Libohove90; 07-06-2011 at 06:58 PM..

Old 07-06-2011, 07:00 PM

336 posts, read 768,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Yeah right. NY have the best hot dogs
NYC has a lot of "best" things, but y'all hot dogs suck ass I'm sorry

Old 07-06-2011, 07:14 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,152,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsing View Post
NYC has a lot of "best" things, but y'all hot dogs suck ass I'm sorry

I don't want to get involved in your argument , but after eating "Chicago style hot dogs" I think it is no contest. I like a simple dog. Meat sauce, mustard, onions-bun, or sauerkraut, mustard-bun, etc. If I wanted a pickle I would buy a pickle. But if I want a hot dog-I'll stick with NY style.

Chicago style hot dogs must be an acquired taste, because I couldn't do it and I tried three times. For what it's worth, I really tried with an open mind to like them.

Let's not even go to pizza. When it comes to pizza I look at it like this. Which one could I eat over and over and on the run, etc. NY style. Because of the thickness of Deep dish, I know I would get sick of it quick. Not something you could eat a lot. Unlike regular pizza which I can't honestly say that I have ever gotten sick of. So Pizza I would give to NY too.

Chicago does better beef on weck.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:15 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Italian beef/sausage, for one. I'm not saying NYC doesn't have it, but the best is in Chicago, and that's not the only thing that Chicago has better than NYC.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:19 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,152,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Italian beef/sausage, for one. I'm not saying NYC doesn't have it, but the best is in Chicago, and that's not the only thing that Chicago has better than NYC.

Agreed. I edited my post and didn't see yours. I put beef on weck in there for Chicago. Chicago does that better and I know they must do some other stuff better too. My brain is fried and I just can't think of it all at this moment.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:42 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,930 times
What does Chicago have to offer that New York can't?

America's tallest skyscraper without a spire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City