Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 04:35 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,713,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Hippy View Post
Atlanta has the lowest population density of any urban area in the world of over 2 million people IIRC. Atlanta IS too spread out.
Thats because of the trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 10:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,906,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Werd. I live in SF, and I go over to Oakland for bars frequently since I have friends there. Pound-for-pound, I actually prefer the bar scene over there to the one over here.
Haha, me too.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:37 PM

30 posts, read 55,402 times
Default Just a little country...

I'm from Knoxville, TN and I've actually been asked (by a NYer) if we wear shoes every day in TN. Apparently some people think Tennesseans are inbred, uneducated people who walk around barefoot all day...ouch.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:52 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,961,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantanative83 View Post
ATLANTA

People think its a city filled with ghetto hip hop wannabes and cars everywhere and traffic traffic traffic. Also Ive heard we are the next detroit, we are too spread out, and so on.
I agree with all but this, Traffic in Atlanta is very bad

Old 08-17-2011, 11:06 PM

635 posts, read 1,511,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I agree with all but this, Traffic in Atlanta is very bad
This is the one stereotype about Atlanta I agree with and the sprawl, but I don't consider the sprawl bad, I love being 45 minutes away and still have the amenities of the city.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:25 PM

144 posts, read 270,984 times
Sometimes I have to call places out of state for my job. I have to make calls to the northeast a lot and for some reason, the people I talk to start to slow their speech and treat me like I am idiot when they find out I am calling from Alabama. This one woman from Pennsylvania said I sounded too smart to be from Alabama. (I was born in Georgia though.)

At my former office job in Atlanta, my last boss was from New Jersey and would not hire any native Atlantans or southerners. He said they were "stupid, slow, and backward." I was the last native Georgian left but quit because I couldn't stand his management style.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:47 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,098,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
I'll use where I'm from, instead of where I'm at. Georgia - my wife is from los angeles, and she was very surprised that I was from Georgia, because I didn't have a truck that was lifted with giant mid tires on it, that I didn't have an accent or have a confederate tattoo or terrible "teef". When she associated any person from Georgia it was either redneck white people or really ghetto black people. When I took her to georgia to see my family she was shocked that it was alot like l.a. minus the mountains and beaches with palm trees. We went to Atlanta and she had so much fun at world of coke, Georgia aquarium, and stone mountain. Theres so much more to Georgia than people think.
I think some people would prefer it if the stereotypes were true. I'd be disappointed if I met a 'Georgia Peach' who sounded like Paris Hilton .

Old 08-18-2011, 04:19 AM

208 posts, read 412,012 times
NYC - rude. We're not rude, we're indifferent. Leave us alone we leave you alone.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:31 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,574,518 times
Where I was born (Northwest Arkansas) I guess the "cousin marriage/young marriage" thing. First cousin marriage I believe is outlawed in Arkansas and anyway I found more in-breeding in the rural Midwest. (Not that it's common there or anything) The "young marriage" thing is mostly true, but even then Idaho looks to be lower and it's not exactly in the Deep South. Utah looks the same as Arkansas while Kansas and South Dakota look to have the same average for men with a one-year-older average for women.

Marriages and Divorce: A 50-State Tour | Pew Social & Demographic Trends

Old 08-18-2011, 08:28 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,656,907 times
NYC: There are NO trees! Everyone pays $5000 a month to live in a closet in a giant building! It's so dirty! It's just so busy and crazy everyplace! Everyone is a hipster or a yuppie or a stock broker! It's not livable! Everyone is so rude!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City