Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 09:53 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,017,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnPeace View Post
West Virginia

Myths
-We are all uneducated.
-We are all poor.
-We are nothing more than a bunch of hillbillies and/or rednecks.
-We all own a truck.
-We don't have teeth.
-We are inbred.

I could go on and on and on. Most West Virginian's aren't like this, but a few will give the whole state a bad rap. From my experience of living in other areas, you see all types everywhere. Just for some reason, WV is probably one of the states that gets ribbed the most.
Don't sweat it. I love West Virginia. Sure there is a lot of craziness there (and that is a good part of the charm), but there are a lot more clear thinking, educated and friendly people than most people would think off. Plus it is just a downright beautiful state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 02:50 PM

50 posts, read 142,219 times
Indiana is stereotyped as being flat, boring, hickish, filled with cornfields, and very conservative. Obviously, there are disadvantages and advantages to Indiana, but the reality is that some of these are true. The political landscape is moderately conservative and the state is relatively flat (though pretty much everywhere there are hills and ups and downs, just no mountains) and there is a large KKK following in some of the rural areas. The state is really quite boring. Indianapolis, for a medium sized metro, has little to offer and the biggest attraction is the close proximity to Chicago in the Northwest as far as urban areas go. There is little to do outdoors, too, but the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore is fantastic!

Old 02-05-2012, 02:53 PM

50 posts, read 142,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnPeace View Post
West Virginia

Myths
-We are all uneducated.
-We are all poor.
-We are nothing more than a bunch of hillbillies and/or rednecks.
-We all own a truck.
-We don't have teeth.
-We are inbred.

I could go on and on and on. Most West Virginian's aren't like this, but a few will give the whole state a bad rap. From my experience of living in other areas, you see all types everywhere. Just for some reason, WV is probably one of the states that gets ribbed the most.
I've always loved West Virginia. The mountain scenery is great and many of the people there are very friendly. Though i did find a fair share of rednecks and hillbillies, overall the state is a nice place to live and I hope more people realize this.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:49 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,367,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremybrooks772 View Post
Indiana is stereotyped as being flat, boring, hickish, filled with cornfields, and very conservative. Obviously, there are disadvantages and advantages to Indiana, but the reality is that some of these are true. The political landscape is moderately conservative and the state is relatively flat (though pretty much everywhere there are hills and ups and downs, just no mountains) and there is a large KKK following in some of the rural areas. The state is really quite boring. Indianapolis, for a medium sized metro, has little to offer and the biggest attraction is the close proximity to Chicago in the Northwest as far as urban areas go. There is little to do outdoors, too, but the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore is fantastic!
Indiana dunes are awesome! Few people realize just how awesome it is to climb 500 ft of sand dunes and slide back down again. Whenever I went there I had the Zelda theme stuck in my head (hey I'm a zelda geek, what do you want?).

Not to mention that Purdue is there, which is widely recognized as a top-notch engineering university. And business school. And research incubator. And for the money one of the more affordable top-notch schools out there. And the energy is awesome. ... I could go on.

Indy is sorta small yeah, but I liked broad ripple when I was there. They have a great potential I think. I just wish the state did more to attract businesses and large companies so that the state isn't known as a place for brain drain.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:01 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,535,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Indiana dunes are awesome! Few people realize just how awesome it is to climb 500 ft of sand dunes and slide back down again. Whenever I went there I had the Zelda theme stuck in my head (hey I'm a zelda geek, what do you want?).

Not to mention that Purdue is there, which is widely recognized as a top-notch engineering university. And business school. And research incubator. And for the money one of the more affordable top-notch schools out there. And the energy is awesome. ... I could go on.

Indy is sorta small yeah, but I liked broad ripple when I was there. They have a great potential I think. I just wish the state did more to attract businesses and large companies so that the state isn't known as a place for brain drain.
Coming towards Indiana Dunes..

Lake Michigan

Friendly Midwesterners

Old 02-05-2012, 11:02 PM

282 posts, read 472,474 times
San Antonio...
1. We're all Hispanic.
2. You hear more Spanish then English.
3. Everyone's uneducated and poor.
4. We're that sleepy city of Texas.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:11 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,587,736 times
Well , I have to say that I have never heard anyone say anything bad about Niagara Falls On. On the other hand I don't think I have ever heard anyone say anything good about Niagara Falls NY and they would be mostly correct.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:42 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,886,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Coming towards Indiana Dunes..

Lake Michigan

Friendly Midwesterners
Awesome! I didn't know how dunes related to Zelda without that pic, thanks!

Not to brag (but kind of to brag), but I played Zelda so much as a kid that at one point I could beat the game in 2 hours....all 9 levels.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:30 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,248,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Well , I have to say that I have never heard anyone say anything bad about Niagara Falls On. On the other hand I don't think I have ever heard anyone say anything good about Niagara Falls NY and they would be mostly correct.
Here's someone else who doesn't like Niagara Falls.

Three Stooges - Slowy i Turn - YouTube

Old 02-06-2012, 09:53 PM

67 posts, read 104,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Don't sweat it. I love West Virginia. Sure there is a lot of craziness there (and that is a good part of the charm), but there are a lot more clear thinking, educated and friendly people than most people would think off. Plus it is just a downright beautiful state.
WV is like any state. It has its good and bad. I do like the fact it's not so crowded as it can be in other states. We don't exactly have them lining up to move here. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremybrooks772 View Post
I've always loved West Virginia. The mountain scenery is great and many of the people there are very friendly. Though i did find a fair share of rednecks and hillbillies, overall the state is a nice place to live and I hope more people realize this.
Yes, you will find a many redneck or hillbilly here. I don't think any West Virginian will deny that. If they do, they are in denial. Most are just country folk without a pretentious bone in their body. I've just come to realize that you will see that anywhere you live as I saw many when we lived in Columbus, Ohio as well. Of course that's probably because we all moved up there to find jobs that weren't in WV! But coming from a state that is a wee bit more laid back, Columbus wasn't for us. Some love the rush of it all. We hated it. So, we came back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City