Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 10:53 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Man, this has nothing to do with anything.

If we're just comparing ratholes, slums and ghettos, then what's the point?

I want to talk about urban areas where people would actually want to live.

In fact, a total population and sq mileage of urban areas with 10,000+ppsm in a Metro region would be a SUPERB thread topic imo.

Defining desirability would then be another issue altogether tho.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:54 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
But why are you talking about Montclair when my post that you quoted was in reference to rah? Talk about being unclear about context lol!
Honestly, it doesn't matter since they both share the same opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Ive been to Harlem on several occasions as well as the Tenderloin and rah is correct.
Let's assume that he simply agrees with the fact that it's denser not, more urban. So, as a technical matter, he's just agreeing with a factual assertion made by rah. Harlem's lower density, of course, was something he was able to determine by visiting the area on "several occasions." Yeah right. That's a stupid ass thing to say. Montclair is drawing his conclusion from the stats notwithstanding the fact that nobody with any grounding in reality would agree with him.

The rest of your post is too long to respond to. Y'all are going to f*ck around and get me fired.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:56 AM

381 posts, read 862,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Honestly, it doesn't matter since they both share the same opinion.

Let's assume that he simply agrees with the fact that it's denser not, more urban. So, as a technical matter, he's just agreeing with a factual assertion made by rah. Harlem's lower density, of course, was something he was able to determine by visiting the area on "several occasions." Yeah right. That's a stupid ass thing to say. Montclair is drawing his conclusion from the stats notwithstanding the fact that nobody with any grounding in reality would agree with him.

The rest of your post is too long to respond to. Y'all are going to f*ck around and get me fired.
Show me an area of Philly that is more urban that this - at a similar scale.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:58 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
I think a better name would be the, "Douchiest-way-to-prove-a-tired-point Tower."

A gun without ammo really doesn't hurt anyone when you shoot them with it. Lol.
Nice comeback!

I was going to suggest "Tenderass" instead, but then realized that that would really be more fitting for San Francisco, ya know.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:01 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldojernkins View Post
How exactly has it been won? I think the pictures posted by SLO a few pages back vs. the pictures of Rittenhouse Square demonstrate how much more is going in downtown SF.

It's a denser city, it's a more vibrant city, it has far fewer parking lots and more bustling streets, etc. Pound for pound, San Francisco feels more like a "big city" than Philly - especially in downtown and the inner neighborhoods. I love Philly - don't get me wrong - but I think it's a losing cause to try and win this argument.

You do realize the picture from Dub was from the edge of Rittenhouse away from the neighborhood. I think we all have agreed that SF has a few more dense areas but am not sure I totally agree that is any more vibrant or even noticeably more vibrant honestly. And pictures only go so far as the only way to feel vibrancy is at the street level. But FWIW this gives a btter view in on rittenhouse, approx the left half of this picture. of which the vast majority of buildings on the left are residential

Our City of Brotherly Love | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiascapes/5432539013/ - broken link)

Old 08-04-2011, 11:03 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,717 times
Well then you do love the smell of your own farts. I think South Park satirizes many things quite accurately, and whenever somebody is the subject of that satire, and it is accurate, they get offended as is appropriate. That's what satire is all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldojernkins View Post
It's called subjectivity, yes. Are you saying you are somehow above subjectivity - that your opinion is the objective truth?

The point is the numbers, the pictures, etc. all point to SF being the more urban, cosmopolitan city. It seems pretty obvious to me, as well, having spent time in both places.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:03 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
You might as well be talking to a wall.

First Bajan hinged his entire argument on the fact that Philadelphia is just soooo much bigger than SF but then when its proven that SF and the surrounding areas of a similar size to the city of Philadelphia are actually on par with Philly, then he changes it to who is more ghetto so he puts up a bunch of embarrassing vids showing neighborhoods that quite frankly should be razed.
Yeah, unfortunately I saw that happen as well. The gloves always come off the Philly posters the second they begin to come in second in one of these oh-so-important comparisons. But he teeters on the edge of rationality occasionally, so I was hoping to see him stay there. Guess I was being too optimistic.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
The mere possibility that the point can not merely be argued, but won... that Philly is more urban that SF... is apparently is too much to handle. Frothing at the mouth has occurred.
Really? Trolling now? You didn't strike me as the type at first. That's disappointing.

Quote:
What a bore you are being, sir. Are you a cop? How exactly do you force admissions out of people? Get over yourself.
Oh you found me so boring that you were motivated to reply to me when I wasn't talking to you? Ouch, I'm wounded.

I can't even seem to recall anything you've said so clearly you're not too interesting yourself.

Oh wait I forgot, you were the first person of the day to post the South Park episode. Bully for you, sir.

Quote:
I did not say Philly 'won' just that the argument could be made, that it is debatable, so by definition one could win a debate arguing on behalf of Philly. That's all I said. You frothed.

You say SF wins because you 'think' you are right and you 'feel' you are right. That really works for you in real life?
"...and I see your true colors shining through...."

Old 08-04-2011, 11:13 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,717 times
You're like a guy in a restaurant who talks far too loudly and gets offended when other guests complain. Let it be.

Quote:
Really? Trolling now? You didn't strike me as the type at first. That's disappointing.

Oh you found me so boring that you were motivated to reply to me when I wasn't talking to you? Ouch, I'm wounded.

I can't even seem to recall anything you've said so clearly you're not too interesting yourself.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I was responding to a post specifically regarding that topic.

If there is an issue of relevancy, take it up with Dub King who now has abandoned the topic and apparently has become a champion of the poor.
Yeah ya know, I actually tuned out several of his posts and I guess I must have missed that. My bad, that's my fault.

That dude seemed to have about the same expiration date that most Philly posters have. You can try and keep things civil with them for a short bit, but after not too long they'll turn sour and impossible to deal with. Its actually gotten predictable, but I keep mistakenly giving them the benefit of the doubt. There's only like 2 or 3 that I am not currently applying that to at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City