Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: northern california the equivalent of upstate ny and downstate il?
yes 33 15.64%
no 178 84.36%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 12:25 PM

68 posts, read 123,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
I don't think so. Chicago is similar in NYC's metropolitan area where it spills into 3 states and I also think the difference is Chicago and NYC's location are at the very furtherest corners of their states. California is much too balanced IMO.
This isn't really similar to the NY area.

The NY metropolitan area covers four states, not three.

And Chicagoland, while technically in three states, is OVERWHELMINGLY in Illinois.

The NY area is very different. NJ has, by far, the largest suburban population in the NY area. In fact, the NJ part of metro NY has slightly greater population than the suburban parts in NY State and Connecticut combined.

Imagine if Chicagoland would primarily sit in Indiana. That's the NY area in terms of suburban population.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:29 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
Does LA dominate California? No!

LA is the biggest metro in our state and perhaps our most popular city to outsiders but LA does not make up California, especially when there are several other major cities/metros (SF, SJ, Sac, SD).

NYC and Chicago or Minneapolis or Atlanta dominate their respected states, because they are the cultural, political, and economic hub of NY, IL, MN, and GA.

But in California, LA is entertainment dominant, SF is political and social dominant, SJ is technology, SD is military, and Sac is where laws are passed which not only affects our cities in CA but around the nation. Each metro is unique.
I dont think that No. Cal and Upstate are alike, but reading the above quote actually makes me think they are more alike then I first realized. The NYC region contains about 65% of the New York State population, very close to LA/San Diego (60% of Cali's population).

NYC is the entertainment, media, financial, social, and arts center for the state but the laws are made in Albany, all the military bases are upstate, the tech centers are all around Rochester/Syracuse/Buffalo. They're actually more similar then you realize at first but they're still worlds apart. Cali is just too big to compare to anywhere else, IMO.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
NYC is the entertainment, media, financial, social, and arts center for the state but the laws are made in Albany, all the military bases are upstate, the tech centers are all around Rochester/Syracuse/Buffalo. They're actually more similar then you realize at first but they're still worlds apart. Cali is just too big to compare to anywhere else, IMO.
Albany is only 100 miles from Manhattan, and is culturally more linked with downstate.

There aren't a ton of military bases in NY, and I don't see why that matters anyways. The most important military facility, by far, is West Point, which is right next to NYC.

And tech is obviously mostly in the NYC area, not in Buffalo or Rochester. NYC is second nationally to the Bay Area in tech-related venture capital dollars.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:38 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
Quote:
I dont think that No. Cal and Upstate are alike, but reading the above quote actually makes me think they are more alike then I first realized. The NYC region contains about 65% of the New York State population, very close to LA/San Diego (60% of Cali's population).

California's financial center is also in the north, in San Francisco. San Diego and LA are not the same city either...it really isn't that much like New York.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:45 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:

And that's where it is that the whole notion falls apart. New York's #2 city, Buffalo, is upstate and has 260k people. That's less than our #10 state, Anaheim, has 336k. The Bay Area has 7.5 million in it, and it's over 300 miles away from the LA area.

All things considered, it's more like if NYC and Boston were in the same state, but retained their characters and industry. If Boston was in Upstate NY, the extra people from it and its MSA would make a huge, indelible impact on Upstate, whose whole character would change. Boston would be doing its own things politically and with biotech, education, etc, and wouldn't necessarily be "overshadowed" by NYC's massive cultural orbit anymore.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:50 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonWI1 View Post
Albany is only 100 miles from Manhattan, and is culturally more linked with downstate.

There aren't a ton of military bases in NY, and I don't see why that matters anyways. The most important military facility, by far, is West Point, which is right next to NYC.

And tech is obviously mostly in the NYC area, not in Buffalo or Rochester. NYC is second nationally to the Bay Area in tech-related venture capital dollars.
Albany is not culturally linked with downstate. Anyone who has ever lived in NY does NOT consider Albany downstate. Its an upstate city, no question.

And most of the forts are indeed upstate, West Point is a college, not a fort. I was trying to make the comparison with the large military bases in San Diego.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Albany is not culturally linked with downstate. Anyone who has ever lived in NY does NOT consider Albany downstate. Its an upstate city, no question.
Yes, but not for the purposes of this conversation. Everything north of the Bronx is obviously upstate. White Plains is upstate for NYC purposes.

Albany is much closer geographically and much closer economically and culturally with NYC than with Buffalo.

Buffalo is an industrial Great Lakes city with Midwest-style housing and accents. Albany is a service-oriented Northeast Corridor city with rowhouses, East Coast accents, and spitting distance from Massachusetts.

And Albany is practically in the NYC metropolitan area. Metro North may be expanded north to Albany. Buffalo is halfway to Chicago from NYC.
Quote:
And most of the forts are indeed upstate, West Point is a college, not a fort. I was trying to make the comparison with the large military bases in San Diego.
Ok, I see what you're saying, but most forts everywhere in the country are in rural areas. The big forts in Texas aren't anywhere near Houston or Dallas, for example. It's just a function of forts needing lots of open space.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:00 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
I grew up in Dutchess County, New York (Hudson Valley). Every time I visit the Napa/Sonoma Area it reminds me of "home", with Palm Trees.

With the Culinary Institute of America having schools in both areas, the quality of food in both areas is probably the best in the country. Hudson Valley Wines are no whee near as good as Napa/Sonoma Wines, but still pretty decent.

San Frrancisco reminds me of a small scale NYC.

Downstate Illinois reminds me of nothing in CA and the maybe a little geographic bit southwest tier of NYS. Culturally Downstate Illinois is nothing like anywhere NY or CA

Old 07-29-2011, 01:40 PM

161 posts, read 182,254 times
Quote:

exactly. its not like upstate ny has nothing. it has stuff, but it cant come close to nyc.

just like nothing in northern cali can come close to even being in the same conversation as la

Old 07-29-2011, 02:06 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollster31 View Post
exactly. its not like upstate ny has nothing. it has stuff, but it cant come close to nyc.

just like nothing in northern cali can come close to even being in the same conversation as la
As usual, you latch on to the one post that sort of, passively, kind-of agrees with a bit of what you're implying and are all like "SEE? SEE? OTHER PEOPLE AGREE WITH ME!!"

In any case, you're still wrong, and still 14 points behind out of a total 18 votes

Why don't you come visit some time? Take advantage of out awesome Asian offerings and sunshine...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.