Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: northern california the equivalent of upstate ny and downstate il?
yes 33 15.64%
no 178 84.36%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 10:22 AM

68 posts, read 123,381 times

Advertisements

Downstate Illinois (really all of Illinois outside of Chicagoland) looks exactly like Indiana. No difference, really. Same accents, attitudes and landscape.

So no, it has nothing to do with Northern California or Upstate NY.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:24 AM

161 posts, read 182,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I don't think so. What I would equate Northern California to is Southern Japan. Much like the San Francisco/Bay Area, Japan has the Kansai region which is the 2nd most populated metro in the country and which Osaka is the core. The Kanto area (Tokyo Metro) is more like Los Angeles/Southern California. Yokohama is actually Japan's 2nd largest city proper but sits in Tokyo's shadow, and is actually considered a suburb, much like how San Diego (California's 2nd largest city proper) sits in LA's shadow and is more like a glorified suburb.

Areas that are equivalent to Upstate New York are Washington State outside of Seattle, and England outside of Greater London.
nah, metro tokyo isnt more than twice the size of metro osaka. thats the point im trying to drive home here.

17>7
sure 35>18, but 35 isnt even twice the amount of 18.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:31 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,859,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollster31 View Post
http://www.aaroads.com/california/im...it_008a_05.jpg

http://www.aaroads.com/california/im...xit_537_03.jpg

2nd picture, as far as i know, is in far northern cali.

lol, as far as i know, there arent any freeway or highway signs in los angeles of how to get to san francisco or anywhere in northern cali.

and isnt virtually most of the immigration and ethnic diversity in socal? i mean, i think everyone will agree with me that by far, socal is mad diverse compared to norcal, even if most of it is mexican and central american.
What are you talking about? Both the Bay Area and Sacramento are extremely diverse with no majority ethnic groups. In fact, Sacramento was even named the most diverse city in the country.

Welcome to America's Most Diverse City - TIME

Why do you always completely ignore facts and figures?

Old 07-30-2011, 10:43 AM

161 posts, read 182,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
What are you talking about? Both the Bay Area and Sacramento are extremely diverse with no majority ethnic groups. In fact, Sacramento was even named the most diverse city in the country.

Welcome to America's Most Diverse City - TIME

Why do you always completely ignore facts and figures?
because californians are always apt to point out how special they are. no, you guys arent. you are like every other state, at the end of the day, just with a lot more land to work with. especially northern californians, who cant admit that their state is pretty much half la area/half everyone else.

there were european immigrants who also went to buffalo, rochester, and syracuse. there are hispanic and blacks who live in those cities, and in cities in downstate illinois.

again, agree to disagree, but cali is pretty much set up in the same way. at least one other person agrees with me

how come there hasnt been any southern californians who have commented on this thread? in real life, they probably agree with me as well

Old 07-30-2011, 10:58 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,242,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
2009 Gross Product
Bay Area $535 Billion
Sacramento $93 Billion
Stockton $19 Billion
Salinas $17 Billion
Modesto $14 Billion
Total GDP $678 Billion
here's another map of the megaregion:

One thing i like about the Northern California megaregion vs. some of the others is that it has a relatively small population, but it's packed tight and is still pretty substantial at the same time, including such cities as SF, Oakland, SJ, Sacramento, Berkeley, etc, (14 million people vs. 35, or 50 million for some of the others). Then in addition to that there's huge expanses of wild/rural land, national/state parks, etc, as well...to the point that it's hundreds of miles until you get to the next megaregion (it's nearly a thousand before you hit Denver...and at the same time LA is kind of far, yet still relatively close, which is nice). It's kind of like the best of both worlds. Big, but not giant in terms of population, and with huge swaths of rural areas and the diverse California/Nevada/Southern Oregon wilderness all around it. Climates ranging from Mediterranean, to temperate, to Alpine, to deserts, etc.

It's going to be interesting to see how this region grows in the future. Some of the parts in the central valley could be added to SF's metro eventually, such as Stockton.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:17 AM

611 posts, read 1,601,804 times
Quote:

how come there hasnt been any southern californians who have commented on this thread? in real life, they probably agree with me as well
We don't agree, and we don't care.
Anyone from southern california even remotely familiar with the two cities would be foolish to think LA dominates the state.
We have two world class cities that play an important role. The only other state I can think of that is comparable is TX and both mainly due to the sheer size of the state.
LA = SF, Dallas = Houston, is not the same as NYC = Buffalo/Albany

Last edited by Nightscape; 07-30-2011 at 11:27 AM..

Old 07-30-2011, 11:34 AM

611 posts, read 1,601,804 times
Quote:
because californians are always apt to point out how special they are. no, you guys arent. you are like every other state, at the end of the day, just with a lot more land to work with. especially northern californians, who cant admit that their state is pretty much half la area/half everyone else.
Last I checked, you seem to be the one that has some odd obsession with California. Seriously, all you have been doing is instigating and stirring up drama with your constant California bashing by starting ridiculous polls and rehashing year+ old threads. By now, you should realize by the result of the polls how incorrect your assumptions might be?

Old 07-30-2011, 03:30 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,859,826 times
Quote:

there were european immigrants who also went to buffalo, rochester, and syracuse. there are hispanic and blacks who live in those cities, and in cities in downstate illinois.

again, agree to disagree, but cali is pretty much set up in the same way. at least one other person agrees with me

California is special. We have more to offer than any other state. Live with it.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:49 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,519,925 times
nah, CA is more balanced out.

and LOL at the random poll end date

Old 07-30-2011, 04:23 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,387,963 times
Quote:
http://www.aaroads.com/california/im...it_008a_05.jpg

http://www.aaroads.com/california/im...xit_537_03.jpg

2nd picture, as far as i know, is in far northern cali.

lol, as far as i know, there arent any freeway or highway signs in los angeles of how to get to san francisco or anywhere in northern cali.
What are you talking about?
Google Maps

Google Maps

In fact, it may surprise MOST people on CD, there actually aren't any freeway signs and control cities on freeway signs in the city of Los Angeles and LA County that have San Diego as the primary destination, except for I-405 south of I-710 in Long Beach. For I-5 south, it's Santa Ana.

Hell, Phoenix is even closer to Downtown LA than Sacramento is, but you won't see that as the primary destination until you drive on I-10 past Indio, a full 140 miles away.

Instead, some "small, irrelevant" NorCal town is listed. Fancy that: a place 380 miles away gets more priority on freeway signs than a place 370 miles away (Phoenix) and one that is only 120 miles away (San Diego)

On US 101, Los Angeles is listed as the primary destination once someone gets to Santa Clara County, 40 miles south of SF. San Francisco is listed as the primary destination starting in Ventura, 65 miles away from LA, but it begins to appear on mileage signs right after CA-23, only a scant 35 miles away from DTLA.

I've driven all over California to know all this

Anyways, what does that have to do with anything?

Quote:
and isnt virtually most of the immigration and ethnic diversity in socal? i mean, i think everyone will agree with me that by far, socal is mad diverse compared to norcal, even if most of it is mexican and central american.
When I have more time, I'll post numbers. This is starting to become a bit ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City