Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 11:25 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times

Advertisements

Their take:

Quote:

Best Cities to Be Young and Broke

Artsy, Cheap, Liberal Oasis: Austin
Others: New Orleans, Omaha, Kansas City, Nashville, Tucson

Easy-on-the-wallet alternatives near huge cities: Philadelphia
Others: Oakland, Jersey City, Milwaukee, Baltimore

Ultra Cheap Industrial In Need of TLC: Detroit
Others: Pittsburgh, Newark

Young Cities with Low Unemployment: Washington DC
Others: Madison, Boston, Richmond

The GOOD Guide to Hustlin': The Best Cities for the Young and Broke - Culture - GOOD
I strongly disagree with Philadelphia being characerized as an 'alternative' to a nearby huge city. That's dumb. Its a massive city in its own right.

I like the inclusion of New Orleans and Kansas City in the list of artsy places and agree.

Pittsburgh does not really need TLC imHo. It seemed nice enough to me.

Boston and DC are expensive arent they? I guess the logic is at least you'll find a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 02:13 PM

10,754 posts, read 23,832,257 times
Meh, poverty sucks any way you slice it. Ramen noodles and Big Macs taste the same in Philadelphia as they do in New Orleans. If one is broke, I'd say go for an area with plenty of good parkland and ample recreational opportunties.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:27 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times
I don't think "liberal oasis" is a great description of Tucson. In fact, I think "conservative desert" would be better.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I don't think "liberal oasis" is a great description of Tucson. In fact, I think "conservative desert" would be better.
Isn't it fairly liberal compared to the rest of AZ? The University being a big part of that? That was my impression anyway.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:51 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Cool, they did a list like this and for once didn't include Portland. That's good, we've already got too many un-employed liberal arts majors from East Coast colleges overcrowding our town. No need for anymore to come here expecting some sort of Mecca for their corny broke-ass fixie-bike ridin' lifestyle. Stay in Brooklyn or move to Austin, but please don't come here.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Cool, they did a list like this and for once didn't include Portland. That's good, we've already got too many un-employed liberal arts majors from East Coast colleges overcrowding our town. No need for anymore to come here expecting some sort of Mecca for their corny broke-ass fixie-bike ridin' lifestyle. Stay in Brooklyn or move to Austin, but please don't come here.
Wasn't that same message broadcasted from Portland in the 90's? Didn't work out so well did it? LOL.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:05 PM

815 posts, read 1,858,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Isn't it fairly liberal compared to the rest of AZ? The University being a big part of that? That was my impression anyway.
If you are moving from a true liberal area, to a "liberal compared to the rest of the state" type place...my experience is that it just isn't going to cut it.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:06 PM

93,401 posts, read 124,052,832 times
I would have put Buffalo in between the second and third categories, if not the third category.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:17 PM

8,631 posts, read 10,155,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
If you are moving from a true liberal area, to a "liberal compared to the rest of the state" type place...my experience is that it just isn't going to cut it.
What experience do you actually have there anyways?

Old 09-07-2011, 08:29 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,168,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Meh, poverty sucks any way you slice it. Ramen noodles and Big Macs taste the same in Philadelphia as they do in New Orleans. If one is broke, I'd say go for an area with plenty of good parkland and ample recreational opportunties.
You must have been in the upper crust of poor people if you could afford a Big Mac. You're not really poor unless you have to steal condiment packets from fast food joints to use on the stale bread you got from the bakery dumpster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City