Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Economist 'Most Liveable': Pittsburgh, Washington DC and Honolulu - which would you choose to live?
Pittsburgh, PA 47 38.84%
Washington, DC 53 43.80%
Honolulu, HI 33 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 06:21 PM

815 posts, read 1,857,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
i prefer the big city too...but i just don't get that vibe from DC. Not a big fan.
hehe...same here. Pittsburgh has a pretty good local community and nice neighborhoods and very scenic, smart crowd of people, people are just unaware of Pittsburgh. I like Boston/NYC/Philly...just not DC so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
DC is definetly an aquired taste. If you are from Chicago, I can understand that you're probably used to a slower more laid back city. Many people like the fast pace in DC. Tons of people running on and off metro and wall to wall people walking on the streets. Some may feel people in DC need to slow down but that pace of life is apart of DC. Just make sure you don't stand on the left side of the escalator on Metro. That could get you pushed down by the rush of people. Now, if only we could get NYC to implement that unspoken rule. I thought I was going to go crazy waiting on people standing on the escalator in the NYC subway. In DC, people would have acted like a fool if people were just standing enjoying the view on the escalator relaxing with people behind them trying to get where they are going.
He isn't talking about that. DC Metro is just a more suburban oriented place, less culturally developed, and less people involved or who care about DC. The place is full of transients/transplants and has a less developed city culture than NYC, Chicago, etc etc... Nothing to do with the pace mang. DC doesn't have that big metropolis vibe, it's not that type of place, though they are working on it through public works projects. Your rant was a terrible insight by the way, I know exactly what the other posters are talking about. When it comes down to it, nobody cares about DC footprint, pace, transportation, it's more about the vibe and people. Let me put it this way, Chicago has that swagger, DC doesn't, sorry.

Last edited by Garfieldian; 09-12-2011 at 06:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 06:46 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
I'd take Honolulu. Island fever can be mitigated by attractive women, which Honolulu definitely has.

Though I'm prone to cruise for long distances at woefully inappropriate hours, I would, all told, rather cruise around Oahu a few dozen times a year with a hot hapa girl in the passenger's seat next to me, than drive from DC to Anapolis or Pitt to Philly.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:57 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
Quote:
DC is definetly an aquired taste. If you are from Chicago, I can understand that you're probably used to a slower more laid back city. Many people like the fast pace in DC. Tons of people running on and off metro and wall to wall people walking on the streets. Some may feel people in DC need to slow down but that pace of life is apart of DC. Just make sure you don't stand on the left side of the escalator on Metro. That could get you pushed down by the rush of people. Now, if only we could get NYC to implement that unspoken rule. I thought I was going to go crazy waiting on people standing on the escalator in the NYC subway. In DC, people would have acted like a fool if people were just standing enjoying the view on the escalator relaxing with people behind them trying to get where they are going.
I'm originally from Pittsburgh but I get what you're sayin

Old 09-12-2011, 09:40 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
hehe...same here. Pittsburgh has a pretty good local community and nice neighborhoods and very scenic, smart crowd of people, people are just unaware of Pittsburgh. I like Boston/NYC/Philly...just not DC so much.

He isn't talking about that. DC Metro is just a more suburban oriented place, less culturally developed, and less people involved or who care about DC. The place is full of transients/transplants and has a less developed city culture than NYC, Chicago, etc etc... Nothing to do with the pace mang. DC doesn't have that big metropolis vibe, it's not that type of place, though they are working on it through public works projects. Your rant was a terrible insight by the way, I know exactly what the other posters are talking about. When it comes down to it, nobody cares about DC footprint, pace, transportation, it's more about the vibe and people. Let me put it this way, Chicago has that swagger, DC doesn't, sorry.
Well to each his own. For an educated black man or woman, DC is tops for career opportunities an living. For someone else, maybe not. I can't look through your eyes so Im sure the city you live in is best for you.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:58 PM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
Pretty much all U.S. cities have different strong and weak points. D.C. is more of a jobs city, a tourist city, and a diverse and cosmopolitan metro area.

As for "urban living," I'd say D.C. is in the top 10 U.S. cities, but not top 5.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:01 PM

815 posts, read 1,857,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Pretty much all U.S. cities have different strong and weak points. D.C. is more of a jobs city, a tourist city, and a diverse and cosmopolitan metro area.

As for "urban living," I'd say D.C. is in the top 10 U.S. cities, but not top 5.
Yeah I'd agree with that, DC is certainly much better than other choices.

Quote:
Well to each his own. For an educated black man or woman, DC is tops for career opportunities an living. For someone else, maybe not. I can't look through your eyes so Im sure the city you live in is best for you.
Fair enough. I agree, and yes, just not so much what I am looking for.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:36 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Cost of living
1. Pittsburgh
2. Honolulu
3. Washington DC

Job opportunities
1. Washington DC
2. Pittsburgh
3. Honolulu

Weather
1. Honolulu
2. Washington DC
3. Pittsburgh

Pace of life (fastest to slowest)
1. Washington DC
2. Pittsburgh
3. Honolulu

Glamour
1. Honolulu
2. Washington DC
3. Pittsburgh

Convenience
1. Pittsburgh
2. Washington DC
3. Honolulu

Old 09-13-2011, 07:39 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
I would put DC above Pittsburgh for convenience..but I agree otherwise

edit- except for weather..Honolulu is too hot for me. Give me Pittsburgh/DC weather

Old 09-13-2011, 08:11 PM

443 posts, read 600,600 times
only tools look for glamour and a fast pace of life.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:13 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
I would put DC above Pittsburgh for convenience..but I agree otherwise

edit- except for weather..Honolulu is too hot for me. Give me Pittsburgh/DC weather
But sitting in traffic is not very convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City