Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Economist 'Most Liveable': Pittsburgh, Washington DC and Honolulu - which would you choose to live?
Pittsburgh, PA 47 38.84%
Washington, DC 53 43.80%
Honolulu, HI 33 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 12:19 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Pittsburgh is 55 square miles and DC is 61 square miles. I would think they are pretty much the same size. DC just has way more people and way more transportation options. I don't really know if they are comparable for lifestyle. They are definitely the same size but DC is built denser and more compact with way more people. DC also has a massive transit system which Pittsburgh does not. Pittsburgh does offer a slower laid back way of life though which is attractive for some people that don't like the hustle and bustle of major cities.
Good points. DC's metro area is far larger to note. Transportation in DC is certainly better than Pittsburgh. I could see convenience/inconvenience one way or the other between the two (or three...especially if you're talking about beaches), depending on what convenience is relevant to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
I read that Pittsburgh has 20,000 jobs available and locals don't qualify. Out of town people are reluctant to move here. Salaries are quite low.
COL is pretty low too, right? I can't understand why people wouldn't want to go there. The city has so much to offer.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:41 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
COL is pretty low too, right? I can't understand why people wouldn't want to go there. The city has so much to offer.
Because Pittsburgh's still has a nasty far out-dated sigma wrapped around its neck which people still believe is true to this day.

I don't care how many time its explained the population change that Pittsburgh is going through, people still cannot look deeper than raw numbers and that equate that with whether a city is an 'IT' spot or 'dying and dead with no life'...

So until US Census officially shows Pittsburgh 'growing' it will be plagued by continued outdated misconceptions...

Take Philly for example officially showing a small population gain after the last 50years population loss, all of sudden Philly is completely different city from 2010 to 2011 in the eyes of many

Old 09-14-2011, 04:56 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Because Pittsburgh's still has a nasty far out-dated sigma wrapped around its neck which people still believe is true to this day.

I don't care how many time its explained the population change that Pittsburgh is going through, people still cannot look deeper than raw numbers and that equate that with whether a city is an 'IT' spot or 'dying and dead with no life'...

So until US Census officially shows Pittsburgh 'growing' it will be plagued by continued outdated misconceptions...

Take Philly for example officially showing a small population gain after the last 50years population loss, all of sudden Philly is completely different city from 2010 to 2011 in the eyes of many
Philadelphia had reached its inflection point by the mid-1990's. It just took the rest of the country 15 years to notice, and apparently many still haven't if this message board is indicative of anything.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post

Yeah, I can say from my recent visit, I was very surprised at the vibrancy of downtown Pittsburgh, and the adjacent neighborhoods (I didn't get outside of those). Tons of workers, and we were out till 1 in the morning and there were still people downtown. Combine that with good food, dense, beautiful architecture, great landscape with the rivers and hills, sports teams and a good job market.

Very underrated (and I plan to keep echoing it because I don't think people do know).

Old 09-16-2011, 07:35 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsing View Post
No DC is #1 on all accounts.
Pittsburgh is more comparable to Baltimore, Cleveland, St. Louis, Detroit.
But, it's 'most liveable'...

So, Pittsburgh would compare to DC.

DC beats Pittsburgh in most other categories, as it's the bigger city.

But, liveable...some people might sacrifice the more interesting jobs for the much shorter commutes and much larger houses at very cheap prices.

On the other hand, short commutes and big houses at cheap prices might not matter much if a person is more career-minded and into all the other larger city amenities.

In that regard, they become compareable in the 'liveability' category.

Personally I think they are both great cities for different reasons, and I'd be happy to live in either one of them.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:31 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,561,662 times
I'm pretty sure I could be happy living in Pittsburgh if it weren't for the persistent gray weather. I'm not someone who's typically affected by SAD, but I think I need more sun than Pittsburgh offers.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:17 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Looks like Washington DC wins this one with 23 votes.

Pittsburgh not too far behind with 17.

Honolulu taking up the rear with 11.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:19 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,766,739 times
I voted all 3, because I wouldn't make a single complaint after overstaying my welcome in rural Ohio.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:53 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsing View Post
NYC, Boston, SF, Philly, Chicago and Baltimore are the only cities that are more urban than DC.
If you think Baltimore is more urban than DC, then that would make cities like Seattle, Minneapolis, Denver, St. Louis, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, etc.--which are all at least as urban as Baltimore, some more so--more urban than DC as well, and I don't think that's the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City