Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cleveland or Boston
Cleveland 48 24.37%
Boston 149 75.63%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 09:45 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
According to US News Report:

Boston has 12 Hospitals in Nationally ranked categories: Best Hospitals in Boston, MA - US News Best Hospitals

Cleveland has 5
Best Hospitals in Cleveland, OH - US News Best Hospitals

So explain to me how they match up?

NIH Funding:

Boston: $2.1b - 16 straight years as highest ranking city in the country
BOSTON CONTINUES TO LEAD THE NATION IN NIH FUNDING | Boston Redevelopment Authority News

Entire State of Ohio: $643m
Top NIH grant funding by institutions, states for 2010
I could care less if Boston has 112 hospitals ( let alone an alleged 12 ) to our world renowned facilities in Cleveland. The point is that Cleveland is NOT inferior to Boston when it comes to healthcare, the arts, education, economy or quality of living.

Yet, so many of you Boston supporters will over inflate data about your city ... why is that!?

It's because you've had to live in the long shadows of New York City for your entire existence. So, it's easier to get irritated when other prominent cities like Cleveland have something to brag about ... we certainly do have many superlatives in Cleveland.

Does Boston have the 2nd largest performing arts / theatre district in the world?
No, Cleveland does. So, next time you're saying how Boston just makes a clean sweep on all fronts, just remember that it's all a fallacy in your minds.

Oh, and I could care less about the alleged billions in funding that Mass. General receives ... it doesn't equate to quality care or being superior in any way.
Perhaps, Cleveland Clinic doesn't require as much funding as Mass. General ... afterall, they're sitting on a venerable "gold mine" at CCF.

One more thing, Cleveland doesn't have to base it's importance or status on our prestigous, world renowned healthcare ... as one errant poster suggested.
Cleveland stands very tall due to its incredible legacies. It's about name recognition too ... Cleveland is widely regarded all over the world for our cultural riches, superior living, healthcare, technology and again ... our fascinating history and legacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 04:37 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
If Clevelands so great why did nearly 20% of the population leave from 2000-2010
Boston has much better theatre/ arts but we don't really have a district it's sorest through Downtown

Old 11-18-2011, 04:59 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
I could care less if Boston has 112 hospitals ( let alone an alleged 12 ) to our world renowned facilities in Cleveland. The point is that Cleveland is NOT inferior to Boston when it comes to healthcare, the arts, education, economy or quality of living.

Yet, so many of you Boston supporters will over inflate data about your city ... why is that!?

It's because you've had to live in the long shadows of New York City for your entire existence. So, it's easier to get irritated when other prominent cities like Cleveland have something to brag about ... we certainly do have many superlatives in Cleveland.

Does Boston have the 2nd largest performing arts / theatre district in the world?
No, Cleveland does. So, next time you're saying how Boston just makes a clean sweep on all fronts, just remember that it's all a fallacy in your minds.

Oh, and I could care less about the alleged billions in funding that Mass. General receives ... it doesn't equate to quality care or being superior in any way.
Perhaps, Cleveland Clinic doesn't require as much funding as Mass. General ... afterall, they're sitting on a venerable "gold mine" at CCF.

One more thing, Cleveland doesn't have to base it's importance or status on our prestigous, world renowned healthcare ... as one errant poster suggested.
Cleveland stands very tall due to its incredible legacies. It's about name recognition too ... Cleveland is widely regarded all over the world for our cultural riches, superior living, healthcare, technology and again ... our fascinating history and legacy.
Johnny, I did not even post once about any of the other categories, I am dealing with Healthcare and Healthcare only.

Quality of care is measured in the US News Report and MGH is the 2nd highest ranked Hospital in the Nation of the Honor Roll after John Hopkins, Cleveland Clinic places 4th. Just so you dont run to your calculator, 2nd is 2 places higher than 4th. Then in addition to Cleveland Clinic (which is an incredible institution) We also have BWH 8th on the honor roll. Which makes Boston the only city in the country with 2 Hospitals in the Top 10.

Best Hospitals 2011-12: the Honor Roll - US News and World Report

Then you have to look into Childrens Hospitals and Children's in Boston was ranked 1st along with Children's of Philadelphia.

2011-12 Best Children's Hospitals: the Honor Roll - US News and World Report

Unless you want to claim Cincinnati, then you don't have a Top 10 ranked Childrens Hospital in Cleveland.

So once again explain to me how they are equal?

Also I mentioned in another post that Partners Healthcare has an International presence you keep implying they dont. When that is incorrect. This is our International Project list (Partners Harvard Medical International - The Global Leader in Transforming Health Care and Education) Then our International Client List (Partners Harvard Medical International - The Global Leader in Transforming Health Care and Education)

I personally work for the International Wing in Healthcare Finance for Partners.

Your comment about CC sitting on a Gold Mine and that is why they do not need is so incredibly ignorant of how Healthcare Finance works its mind blowing. CC is a revenue machine, everyone in the Industry knows that, they have an endowment of $2.7b. Partners Healthcare which is the system that owns MGH and BWH has an endowment of $4.1b. We are talking about 2 systems that hardly "need" money, but the way NIH funding works is Hospital Systems compete for the funds, aggressively and trust me CC has just as many people tied into Washington and the NIH as Partners Healthcare. So if you told them that money isnt important, they would laugh at you.

The bottom line is Cleveland Clinic is an incredible institution, one of the best in the world, but MGH is just as prestigious. If you add our other world renowned Hospitals in the area, it makes Boston the clear Healthcare Capital of America and arguably the world.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:27 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Oh nowwwwwwww I remember where I've seen John before

Family Guy Roadhouse - YouTube

It doesn't matter how many facts we present. He's going to ignore all of it. He's made up his mind.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 11-18-2011 at 06:35 AM..

Old 11-18-2011, 06:47 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post

Oh, one more thing that is certain about Cleveland. We sure know how to fill in any gaping craters in our downtown.

Witness the progress here ...
Web Cam - Cleveland Medical Mart
Funny because in the photos you provided it looks like there are more parking lots than medical buildings. In addition it looks as though the medical center is surrounded by slums.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:53 AM

Also, John when have Boston forumers been inflating numbers here?

Old 11-18-2011, 06:53 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
I'm not a fan of Boston, but can only think of one aspect Cleveland is superior to Boston, and that's Great Lakes Brewing > Samuel Adams. Cleveland does have a great deal to boast about, still.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I'm not a fan of Boston, but can only think of one aspect Cleveland is superior to Boston, and that's Great Lakes Brewing > Samuel Adams. I do think it's close where heath care and the arts are concerned, however.
I don't think I've tried Great Lakes Brewing...but if you're going to choose a Boston brewing company, you definitely don't want to choose Sam Adams, as most of it is brewed in NC or Ohio or something like that. The true Boston brewery of choice is Harpoon, which is a damn good beer. If you can get your hands on it, their Leviathan Imperial IPA is to die for, as is their Leviathan Big Bohemian Pilsner.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:11 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
Harpoon sells over here...didn't really think much of the IPA. Honestly I'd say the only thing the Midwest has over the East Coast in general is corn and beer. There are some quality breweries in the Northeast, such as Smuttynose and Ithica, but as a whole they don't quite stack up to Bell's, Great Lakes, Founders, Three Floyds, or the Wisconsin & Minnesota breweries. It's about the only boasting point for this part of the country these days...

Old 11-18-2011, 07:23 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Harpoon sells over here...didn't really think much of the IPA. Honestly I'd say the only thing the Midwest has over the East Coast in general is corn and beer. There are some quality breweries in the Northeast, such as Smuttynose and Ithica, but as a whole they don't quite stack up to Bell's, Great Lakes, Founders, Three Floyds, or the Wisconsin & Minnesota breweries. It's about the only boasting point for this part of the country these days...
You should probably try these next time over Sam. I also agree that Harpoon makes some great beer tmac.

Pretty Things: Pretty Things Beer and Ale Project, Inc
Ipswich Ale Brewery: Ipswich Ale Brewery | Microbrewery of Quality Beer and Soda, Ipswich MA
Wachusett Brewing Company: Wachusett Brewing Company
Berkshire Brewing Company: Berkshire Brewing Company
Cambridge Brewing Company: Cambridge Brewing Co. | Kendall Square, Cambridge MA

Also Beer Advocate, seems to think pretty highly of New England as well Top Beers - New England (US) - BeerAdvocate

Great Lakes /Midwest has some great stuff too. I do disagree though about all the Midwest having is beer, when you have Chicago in your region you have alot to boast about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City