Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 11:53 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Yet with all of this crap you just listed experts still lists Miami higher than Atlanta.
I know right, base off No reason just because of because you feel it is LOL. I ask you over and over and can't give me substance. I see.

Quote:
I am aware you never said it, you simply just imply. Anyone who doesn't say "Atlanta is more important than Miami, Dallas and Houston" a child-like tantrum is thrown.

No reference to my link? Yeah, that is now TWO experts who believe Miami is more important than Atlanta. Score: Miami 2 and Atlanta 0.
Dude you are just silly I said Atlanta is higher rank than Miami, your now arguing what you want me to argue, in your head for what ever the reason. Do you know what a fallacies is?

Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Begging the question - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

tantrum No bro I'm laughing.

Not only did I never brought up Dallas and Houston as you point out
1. I literally said southeast, that include Miami
2. I also literally told you stop bring up Dallas and Houston cause it's not southeast.

Again there's a thread with a lot of ranking Atlanta came out ahead of Miami overall dude. Do you not understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Exactly we are looking at cities at a global scale not just in the US. I think people fail to see this.
Global everyone...
On a global scale Miami is even worst in education, media, Healthcare, logistics and etc then Atlanta. I'm not following yall. I understand Miami has influence on the Caribbean like Media and finance but there's more to the world then the Caribbean, I'm mean the American southeast Has a larger population than the Caribbean. I'm trying to diss Miami, in fact I'm not even arguing it's below Atlanta but it's definitely not higher than Atlanta.

------------------------------

Hold up!................ again they are not search rail ridership, they are not searching density, they're not search population growth, They're not search culture uniqueness, they are not searching quality of life. This isn't a urbanist ranking.

They are searching how connected a city is to the World.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 12:07 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Rail transit.
Exactly.

look at your quote it says first several highways.

we have more than enough of those. Far more than ATL, Philly and MIami.

Large mass transit network.

Well Philly comes in first there, then ATL then Houston then Miami and then DFW based on overall ridership.

Then you mention Usage. For Lightrail Usage per Mile Houston beats all in Alpha neg except Boston. Road Usuage, I have no idea how you would calculate that but Houston has some of the biggest Highways in the world and makes good use of systems on it such as the Park and Ride systems and the rapid route systems

Then you mentioned airport Hubs, Houston is the largest hub for the second largest US airline.

You mention major Sea Port. Houston is number one for Foreign Tonnage and I think second overall. Far ahead of Miami's tonnage but less on passengers. ATL and DFW are not even near the sea and thus have no sea ports

Then you mentioned communication networks- I think all cities would rank high there. Houston's downtown is connected with free wifi, I am sure all cities have a similar deal.

I just don't see the infrastructure argument sorry. Especially in relation to Miami, ATL and DFW

Old 09-21-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
2nd to what, not sure what this means.

On the whole these metrics are to be taken with a grain of salt. In 2008 Philly was a gamma and now alpha - trust me things have not changed that dramatically in 24 months for this movement. End of the day there are collection of cities in the US below the first tier that are very important both domestically as well as in terms of commerce.

Unless this building somehow put over the top...

1706 Rittenhouse Square behind Lady Justice, both under construction | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/always-movin/3971165950/ - broken link)
That is what I am hinting at. Most cities took a crash since 2008. Places like Miami and ATL if anything lost wind while Houston has weathered the downturn pretty well.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:26 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
That is what I am hinting at. Most cities took a crash since 2008. Places like Miami and ATL if anything lost wind while Houston has weathered the downturn pretty well.

Actually Philly weathered better than most as well, still silly to see this type of movement on the ranking

Old 09-21-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Actually Philly weathered better than most as well, still silly to see this type of movement on the ranking
you have to admit it wasn't the movement that is ridiculous but the previous ranking.

They had Philly way too low the last time. They just corrected their flaw.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:03 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,814 times
Quote:
I think it has something to do with Real Housewives.

Hasn't all those cities hosted a real housewives TV show ??
Awww no media attention for Houston

Old 09-21-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I am convinced that if Houston were still the same exact city that it is today (plus 40-50 miles of rail) it would be a low or mid alpha. Rail is the only thing that is lacking in Houston. 7.5 miles of rail is rather puny when compared to cities like Atlanta, Dallas, and even Miami (all three having more than 20 miles of rail, with Dallas and Atlanta having MUCH more than 20). There could be other factors as well, but rail seems to be the one that stands out.

Another factor could be our own ignorance when it comes to non-American cities. For example, if we took away the foreign cities, Houston is next on the list after Philly (making Houston an Alpha-). Thanks to competition from other countries, Houston got knocked out of the Alpha- category. There are only 8 cities on the planet that seperate Philly and Houston; none of them are in the US. So in a way, Houston is in the same tier as Dallas, Atl, and Philly. However, on a World view, it gets bumped back just a little by comparable cities in different countries. Being that Houston is America's only Beta+ city, that just makes Houston "special" and "unique".

This debate about these rankings have been argued till there widths end. As much as this is a debate between a few people its still not going to change the rankings..

Old 09-21-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Awww no media attention for Houston
No need for fake representations of the city. We are doing quite fine without it in the real world. Wish I can say the same for yall and some other Alpha cities.

which would you rather? A stronger economy or a TV show?
I will take the healthier economy thanks.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
No need for fake representations of the city. We are doing quite fine without it in the real world. Wish I can say the same for yall and some other Alpha cities.

which would you rather? A stronger economy or a TV show?
I will take the healthier economy thanks.

Oh please if you guys were top in media and were getting awards show tv shows etc we wouldnt stop hereing about it.. I been in Atlanta 7 years on the same job and have no problem being here regardless where Atlanta stands economically.. Even if I lost my job just because Houston is weathered the recession better I still wouldnt move there. Thanks!!! Id rather stay here or somewhere on the East Coast.. And since I work in the entertainment industry Id rather stay where that presence is stronger so Ill go with the TV show..

Old 09-21-2011, 01:38 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Exactly.

look at your quote it says first several highways.

we have more than enough of those. Far more than ATL, Philly and MIami.

Large mass transit network.

Well Philly comes in first there, then ATL then Houston then Miami and then DFW based on overall ridership.

Then you mention Usage. For Lightrail Usage per Mile Houston beats all in Alpha neg except Boston. Road Usuage, I have no idea how you would calculate that but Houston has some of the biggest Highways in the world and makes good use of systems on it such as the Park and Ride systems and the rapid route systems

Then you mentioned airport Hubs, Houston is the largest hub for the second largest US airline.

You mention major Sea Port. Houston is number one for Foreign Tonnage and I think second overall. Far ahead of Miami's tonnage but less on passengers. ATL and DFW are not even near the sea and thus have no sea ports

Then you mentioned communication networks- I think all cities would rank high there. Houston's downtown is connected with free wifi, I am sure all cities have a similar deal.

I just don't see the infrastructure argument sorry. Especially in relation to Miami, ATL and DFW
Not saying anything about overall comparisons, but Atlanta is a major railway hub while Miami has a people mover downtown as well as a fairly extensive commuter rail system (one line, but the Miami metropolitan area is a long and narrow one sandwiched between the Everglades and the Atlantic).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City