Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 11:21 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
In response to Gateway Region:

This is how I would rank the U.S. cities.

Alpha++ : New York

Alpha+: Chicago

Alpha: San Francisco, Philadelphia

Alpha-: Los Angeles, Boston, Washington

Beta+: Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami

Beta: Minneapolis, Seattle, Detroit
this is getting more and more interesting.

Why did you bump up Philly to Alpha, ahead of Boston, LA and DC??? Why did you bump down DC and LA to Alpha neg?

The rest I can see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 11:22 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
If I made this list; this is how it would go:

Alpha+: Chicago, Los Angeles

Alpha: San Francisco, Washington

Alpha-: Dallas,Atlanta, Boston, Houston, Philadelphia

Beta+: Miami

I just can't take Miami serious on a business or economical level. Yes it has strong ties with Latin America, but that just helps my point even more. The cities listed above it are more World players [such as their importance isn't as one sided and more balanced].

The issue with Dallas/Atlanta vs Houston is simply more about popularity. Houston's importance is obviously more superior [don't even try to dispute it; you're lying to yourself if you think otherwise]; however, Dallas and Atlanta have more appeal and presence on a international level. It evens itself out when you put everything into perspective. Houston is in a position to where it could move ahead and leave the other major southern cities in it dust; it's just that the city leaders haven't realized its potential.

I think this makes more sense to me actually though if Miami is moved down I would also place Atlanta in the same tier - to me they are basically equals as to me are Houston/DFW and Philly/Boston

Old 09-20-2011, 11:30 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I think this makes more sense to me actually though if Miami is moved down I would also place Atlanta in the same tier - to me they are basically equals as to me are Houston/DFW and Philly/Boston
What influenced my placing of Atlanta was simply due to the fact that it's pretty much the powerhouse of the southeast and regionally it does more for this country than Miami. Its international importance isn't that significant, but it's there and not as limited as Miami's.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:31 AM

528 posts, read 1,184,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
this is getting more and more interesting.

Why did you bump up Philly to Alpha, ahead of Boston, LA and DC??? Why did you bump down DC and LA to Alpha neg?

The rest I can see.

Alpha: San Francisco, Philadelphia

Alpha-: Los Angeles, Boston, Washington

Beta+: Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami

Beta: Minneapolis, Seattle, Detroit

Personally, I think that Chicago has always been America's second city. Even though it has been surpassed in population by Los Angeles, it remains a very diversified economy, with the second largest stock exchange and second most comprehensive public transit system in the nation (behind NYC, and NYC - respectively). Chicago also just has a richer history than LA, and its skyline proves that. Chicago's GDP also beats Los Angeles'. Global Cities 2010: The Rankings | Foreign Policy

Below that, I looked at cities that have very established urban cores. I think that SF and Philly are a head & shoulder above the rest. Both of them have very diversified economies, are strategically located, have established mass transit, and are hubs for tourism.

I really just don't see Los Angeles as that great of a city. Sure, it's huge. That doesn't make it great. Phoenix is huge too.......

As far as Boston/DC being below SF and Philly, I think the four of them are the most important cities in the US to round out the top 6. I just wanted to distinguish two from two.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:38 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
No because that poster is in some fantasy land where Miami dominates the American southeast over Atlanta.
I never said "Miami dominates Atlanta". Show me where I implied it or flat out said it, I haven't. I believe Miami is one tier or slightly more important than Atlanta.

Now, if you want to call me out I have no problem with doing the same. Your posts come across as chest pounding/boosting Atlanta and acting as if it dominates everything in the Southeast. Actually, your posts come across as if Atlanta dominates the whole south in general, it's called homerism.

Quote:
And I have ideal where he or she getting it should be above DFW either. I can't even think of a global ranking with Miami ahead Atlanta and Dallas. I accept Miami maybe equal in some instance but over them?
Really? I can.

Miami #33
Atlanta #40
Dallas is not in the top 65

Global Cities 2010: The Rankings | Foreign Policy

Old 09-20-2011, 11:46 AM

I think Miami and Atlanta are arguably pretty equal. Miami's location makes it a great port city. Atlanta is pretty landlocked, but has the world's busiest airport.

Both metro's are similar in size, hmm..... I think they're a very good comparison.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:50 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
I never said "Miami dominates Atlanta". Show me where I implied it or flat out said it, I haven't. I believe Miami is one tier or slightly more important than Atlanta.

Now, if you want to call me out I have no problem with doing the same. Your posts come across as chest pounding/boosting Atlanta and acting as if it dominates everything in the Southeast. Actually, your posts come across as if Atlanta dominates the whole south in general, it's called homerism.

Really? I can.

Miami #33
Atlanta #40
Dallas is not in the top 65

Global Cities 2010: The Rankings | Foreign Policy
And as if Atlanta dominate Miami - last I looked FL is by far the largest state in the SE and Miami is the most influential city in FL

Atlanta for the piedmont is the most influential city but does NC really go by way of Atlanta, i mean are Charlotte and RDU some minion to Atlanta, doesnt seem it though I woud agree that Atlanta expounds regional influence further than most cities its size

Honestly and this is not a slight against Atlanta but if truly were as intrumental as some suggest the GDP and Income would be higher IMHO

Old 09-20-2011, 12:02 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
well Honestly there are several things wrong.

Current GaWC nonsense:

Alpha: Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington
Alpha-: Miami, Boston, Dallas, Atlanta, Philadelphia

My Changes in Red:
Alpha+: Chicago, Los Angeles,
Alpha: San Francisco, Washington, Boston
Alpha-: Miami, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Philadelphia

I think the only thing they got right was moving Philly to an Alpha.
Since everyone is including Beta Cities now, this is how I would revise my list

Alpha+: Los Angeles
Alpha: Chicago, Washington
Alpha-: San Francisco (It seems GaWC separated SJ from SF so I dropped it down from Alpha), Boston
Beta+: Houston, Philadelphia
Beta: DFW, Atlanta, Miami
Beta-: Detroit, Seattle
Gamma +: Minneapolis, Denver, San Jose
Gamma: STL, San Diego, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Phoenix, Tampa, Charlotte, Orlando
Gamma- : Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Austin, Columbus, Indianapolis, SLC, Sacramento, Milwaukee, Cleveland
High Sufficiency: Las Vegas, Birmingham, Richmond, New Orleans, Raleigh, Memphis, Jacksonville, san Antonio
Sufficiency: Nashville, Rochester, Buffalo, Providence

Old 09-20-2011, 12:31 PM

HTown, what is your rationale for putting some cities in Gamma and some in Gamma- ?
-in my mind, many of these cities are on the same par. I would make the following changes:

Gamma: STL, San Diego, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Phoenix
Gamma- : Kansas City, Tampa, Austin, Columbus, Indianapolis, SLC, Sacramento, Milwaukee, Charlotte, Orlando

Old 09-20-2011, 01:23 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,949,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
. Chicago's GDP also beats Los Angeles'. Global Cities 2010: The Rankings | Foreign Policy
Chicago's GDP is not greater than that of Los Angeles'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City