Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban?
Center City 162 68.94%
Downtown Los Angeles 73 31.06%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 04:55 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Center City is almost certainly better (I've never been to Philly, but the town looks great). How could it not be? It has insane history, and it's the undisputed heart of the city. It's just that DTLA has such scary potential, it's hard not to get stoked. LA with a great downtown?!! Thats a sign of the end isn't it?

I've been VERY guarded in my optimism for the future of DTLA all of my life. However, I was Downtown LA Friday night for the opening of an exhibit at MOCA, part of the Pacific Standard Time collaboration. I go there all the time for work, but it had been awhile since my last evening visit. The increase in foot-traffic and establishments opened in just the last year was noticeable. This is even more surprising because this trend has continued through this crap economy. There's now an energy that has been missing for decades. I'm sure some reader of this will say he/she recently visited and it was Podunk. Others will say it'll never be "City X". Well, its not and never will be. But its arc over the over the last 10-20 years is simply amazing, particularly to someone acutely aware of the long-held, blind, suburbian fear of this particular downtown. Sometimes its the journey, not the destination, that brings excitement.

Last edited by nslander; 10-03-2011 at 06:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 05:08 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
The best thing about the dt LA renaissance is that it's happening all over downtown and not just 1 or 2 areas.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:20 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
Downtown LA:

34.044481,-118.252201 - Google Maps

34.05017,-118.24688 - Google Maps

34.044481,-118.252201 - Google Maps

34.047379,-118.24954 - Google Maps

34.047379,-118.24954 - Google Maps

Old 10-04-2011, 06:41 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Downtown is poised for greatness. Projects like the Grand Avenue project, Farmers Field, the Figueroa Corridor and the Wilshire Tower (1250 ft skyscraper To be completed in 2015) will add even more credibility to the area. Once the economy improves, the place will explode.
Do you have any proposed pictures of the Grand Ave Project? How long will it take to be completed if you know? And once (if) the Wilshire Tower is built that'll be the tallest in L.A right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
To live, Id pick an environment like Center City over an environment like Downtown LA. It is just a bit more refined to my personal taste. However Im very pleased to see all the positive improvements taking place in Downtown LA.
I agree with this.

To answer the question I'd have to go with (based off pictures alone) Center City. Even though I never went to Center City, yet, I can tell it's more urban. L.A, to me seem like a different type of urban. I haven't been to San Francisco yet either but I can tell it's more urban than L.A. at the core if anything. & this is solely off pictures so correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:54 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Default Wish I spent more time in CC

Just been to Philly once, the downtown reminds me of a more urban Downtown Boston. It seemed very livable, has all those historic landmarks, great amenities, we stayed in a great hotel.

To me, Downtown LA is much grittier particularly east of San Pedro St. As stated before, Farmer's Field, Downtown Connector and Expo Line, Grand Project will all really enhance the area. Also, the amazing stock of mid-rise office buildings (ever played LA Noire? Most of those buildings are still there man!) are just sitting there waiting to be re-used. By some stroke of luck LA didn't tear these buildings down, going against every idea they had in the 60s to 80s. They have some work to do and a bunch of them have cheap stores at street level retail (I actually don't know, are most of the buildings empty in the upper levels?) but some like Clifton's Cafeteria and The Orpheum have or are great landmarks and have been renovated. (Cliftons just closed to start remodeling)

Anyways, I voted LA cause I know more about it, plus it was losing But Philadelphia is better right now; in fifteen - twenty years, we'll see.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:58 PM

129 posts, read 264,243 times
There is more things to do near downtown LA. From what I see Phidelphia has nicer area within the boundiers of center city.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:56 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balmain View Post
Downtown Los Angeles is very scary. I was walking the streets and everyone was looking at me like they wanted to rob me. Remind me next time to ditch the Gucci and raid a salvation army consignment bin the next time business brings me back to that dump again.
Do you have something against people who shop at consignment stores? Get off your high horse.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:58 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,326 times
I'd much rather visit Philly than Los Angeles. Less materialistic a place for one thing and theres still ITALIAN sections.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:30 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
To me, Downtown LA is much grittier particularly east of San Pedro St. As stated before, Farmer's Field, Downtown Connector and Expo Line, Grand Project will all really enhance the area. Also, the amazing stock of mid-rise office buildings (ever played LA Noire? Most of those buildings are still there man!) are just sitting there waiting to be re-used. By some stroke of luck LA didn't tear these buildings down, going against every idea they had in the 60s to 80s.
My understanding is those blocks remained intact because the city fathers and the investors who owned them decided to relocate the financial district to Bunker Hill, and razed the Victorians there instead. The destruction of that residential area was a loss (and largely motivated by antipathy to the brown people and native americans living there), but it also spared the old financial core.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:37 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Some interesting videos from a group called the CCD - has been very instrumental in the revitalization of Center City.

Center City District- 20 Years of Downtown Transformation - YouTube

Managing Success in Center City: Reducing Congestion, Enhancing Public Spaces - YouTube

Center City's Residential Revival- 50 years in the Making - YouTube

More info on the group - honestly they have made a huge difference and is a model for other places in need of a facelift so to speak

http://www.centercityphila.org/

Last edited by kidphilly; 10-05-2011 at 01:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City