Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Toronto 160 53.87%
Atlanta 137 46.13%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 08:44 PM

242 posts, read 510,749 times

Advertisements

One thing I gotta say, Yorkdale and Eaton Center are better or equal to any mall that I've been to in the US. Toronto has some awesome shopping.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:55 AM

880 posts, read 2,861,769 times
For me no contest, Toronto hands down. Much higher population density, very diverse population with many cool neighborhoods, very good public transit that actually goes to the suburbs, lower violent crime rate, and more liberal vibe especially compared to the very conservative suburbs of Atlanta

Old 12-18-2012, 09:37 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Born View Post
For Toronto consider the entire downtown (Bathurst to Don River, Lake Ontario to Dupont/Davenport/Church/Bloor East streets) PLUS the Yonge Street corridor up to say Lawrence Avenue.

For Atlanta, consider downtown PLUS midtown PLUS the "core" of Buckhead (anything close to Peachtree Street up to about "Peachtree Dunwoody Road NE". Hell, you can throw in Atlantic Station if you want even though it's across the freeway.

These areas are similar in many ways. They both include a "traditional downtown" at the south end, connected to a "midtown/uptown" area further north by a subway line (Atlanta also has a freeway connecting these areas, Toronto does not). The both include the regions most noteable areas for office towers, nightlife, "urban shopping/dining", and highrise living. The Yonge Street corridor north of downtown Toronto is much wealthier than the region on average, and I suspect Atlanta's corridor also has a much higher average income than the city as a whole.

Compare:

-cityscape/architecture
-"urban living"
-shopping
-dining
-nightlife
-safety
-pedestrian friendliness (which includes continuity of pedestrian friendliness along the corridor)
-which street pattern you prefer (Toronto's strict north-south/east-west grid with shorter blocks vs. Atlanta's meandering streets with huge blocks)
-transit (public transit, bike lanes/paths, ease of catching a cab)
-anything else you find relevant
Anyone voting ATL here has not been to Toronto. This is NO CONTEST. In fact, Toronto comes close to beating Chicago. If Toronto were in the US, it would be considered the 3rd or 4th best urban core. I wouldn't even put Atlanta in the top ten.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:31 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Anyone voting ATL here has not been to Toronto. This is NO CONTEST. In fact, Toronto comes close to beating Chicago. If Toronto were in the US, it would be considered the 3rd or 4th best urban core. I wouldn't even put Atlanta in the top ten.
Ive been to Toronto a few times.Toronto comes NOWHERE close to beating Chicago.Chicago has a real sense of history and a soul.Toronto is a "on paper" city.It does many thing right but its nothing overwhelming.
Toronto's nightlife is nothing great.Shopping is no better or worse than in Atlanta.I can find anything in Atlanta as I could in Toronto.
Atlanta has flaws but because of those flaws,it has a realness to it.Toronto is just pleasant.Sterile.Now if we were talking Montreal vs Atlanta...thats another story.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:52 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,240,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Ive been to Toronto a few times.Toronto comes NOWHERE close to beating Chicago.Chicago has a real sense of history and a soul.Toronto is a "on paper" city.It does many thing right but its nothing overwhelming.
Visiting Toronto a few times isn't enough to make such ridiculous claims. Of course Toronto has a sense of history, it's just as old as Chicago and it has plenty of "soul". Most of the neighbourhoods in the inner city are dripping with character and are as far from "sterile" as you can get. Take a walk through Parkdale, Roncesvalles village or Kensington Market sometime and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:09 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Visiting Toronto a few times isn't enough to make such ridiculous claims. Of course Toronto has a sense of history, it's just as old as Chicago and it has plenty of "soul". Most of the neighbourhoods in the inner city are dripping with character and are as far from "sterile" as you can get. Take a walk through Parkdale, Roncesvalles village or Kensington Market sometime and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Been all those places over the years.Nice but seen it all before in many other cities,Great multicultural atmosphere and urbanity.but beyond that?Just not enough for me

Well i did not mean literal about having any history. I mean on a world stage how does Toronto compare on a historical level?Chicago is well known for many things.Atlanta is also.Atlanta does not have the name recognition of Toronto but people know of events and cultural things Atlanta has produced.They just do not realize they are products of Atlanta until they get here.
Toronto gets by solely on its name as Canada's city of commerce.

My best friend who is Canadian moved back after living in Atlanta for 10 years.He says the same thing and he grew up in Toronto.I have been all over because I like Toronto but its not anything special like Montreal.Yes it has history but nothing on the scale of Montreal.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:39 AM

7 posts, read 9,345 times
Montreal is special in North America. But for European, Montreal is very much like any other American Cities the only different is they speak French. Montrealers also love their suburbs, they are more relax like people in Vancouver or Portland. They have a lot of old building but New York City and Boston also got them. a lot of big tall building in downtown Montreal. On the weekend business district is quiet (like Chicago, Toronto and NYC ), they have tons of American Brands than European brands ( Toronto ). And History they are less than 500 years old like most big cities in the USA.

I neverbeen to Atlanta, Heard great things about Atlanta.

Again, I live in Toronto, It's a great city to live and I do not want to move anywhere else even Paris or NYC because I have a good life here. The city is ugly, clean, exciting ( it is exciting for everyone either you love eating, clubbing, musical, opera, shopping ( Toronto has their own designers maybe not as many as other cities like Paris, NYC, London, Milan or Tokyo but they do have Torontonian own designers ), sport ( snowboarding and ski not too far from Toronto, bunch of activities to do around the area and even just to watch them), History ( of course we do have history maybe not as old as Europe, Africa or Asia but we do have one) a lot of exciting festivals in the spring summer falls ( like everywhere else I guess ), one of the best medical treatment you can get in is here and It's free, and ONE thing makes me proud and happy is the city grows like mushroom. Towers and building popping up everywhere, downtown life is so much better now with almost new shoppings and restaurants opening and closing at the same time.

Most of mid size American cities are famous because of Hollywood. Any where in the world like Toronto, Vancouver, Seoul, Osaka, Manila, New Delhi,etc are usually famous because of they have something that stand out than the rest of other cities ( negative or positive things ).

Old 12-22-2012, 11:50 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Been all those places over the years.Nice but seen it all before in many other cities,Great multicultural atmosphere and urbanity.but beyond that?Just not enough for me

Well i did not mean literal about having any history. I mean on a world stage how does Toronto compare on a historical level?Chicago is well known for many things.Atlanta is also.Atlanta does not have the name recognition of Toronto but people know of events and cultural things Atlanta has produced.They just do not realize they are products of Atlanta until they get here.
Toronto gets by solely on its name as Canada's city of commerce.

My best friend who is Canadian moved back after living in Atlanta for 10 years.He says the same thing and he grew up in Toronto.I have been all over because I like Toronto but its not anything special like Montreal.Yes it has history but nothing on the scale of Montreal.
You're saying this as if Atlanta can compete on the world stage in history when that's also far from the truth so how can you say this about Toronto?

Toronto is much more known world wide then Atlanta is and much more interesting. It also has a massive urban core larger then the size of Chicago's urban core.

And who cares if Toronto is known solely because it's Canada main city. Isn't that the reason cities become so well known? This is a silly argument of yours and in no way proves that Atlanta is a better city...just that you are trying to ridicule Toronto. It seems more like desperation in my eyes.

And who cares what your best friend had to say? She is one person...she does not represent everyone from Canada.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:40 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,850,028 times
I sampled the posts, they seemed to be overwhelmingly pro-Toronto, as I'd expect. But Atlanta got over 40% of the vote. Come out of the closet, pro-Atlanta voters, and explain your vote!

Old 12-22-2012, 02:12 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
You're saying this as if Atlanta can compete on the world stage in history when that's also far from the truth so how can you say this about Toronto?

Toronto is much more known world wide then Atlanta is and much more interesting. It also has a massive urban core larger then the size of Chicago's urban core.

And who cares if Toronto is known solely because it's Canada main city. Isn't that the reason cities become so well known? This is a silly argument of yours and in no way proves that Atlanta is a better city...just that you are trying to ridicule Toronto. It seems more like desperation in my eyes.

And who cares what your best friend had to say? She is one person...she does not represent everyone from Canada.
What is your definition of urban core?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City