Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Toronto 160 53.87%
Atlanta 137 46.13%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 04:29 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Hip hop Atlanta ALL DAY!!R&B,.ditto.Go-Go?lol no way.House is decent but more electronica for sure.One thing I do like better in Toronto is its lounges.Atlanta is getting those but its not nearly as good as they are in Canada.
Hip hop and urban scene in Atlanta is extreme.You either get the hood type clubs with the ghetto characters with gold teeth and big girls on 2inch heels with their feet busting out and heels of the feet hanging well over the shoe and with dresses with cutouts.As if the got some scissors at home with their girlfriends and thought it would be sexy to wear a dress 3sizes too small.

Or you have the clubs (like The Velvet Room ==* VELVET ROOM *== )where everybody thinks their in a Jay Z video shot in Monte Carlo pulling up in valet in a rented Lambo wearing clothes with the tags still on them so they can return it the next day
Don't get me wrong,for every pretender you have those that really do live that life style.

This is why I like Atlanta nightlife.I go to those clubs just like I go to one of my favorite spots like Noni's on Edgewood. Its very diverse and cheap.The music is always a good mix of different genres.

East Atlanta Village is everything Alternative.Even Alternative rap.Then that Scrillex stuff i personally dont understand can be found at The Graveyard.

Little % Points-they have live rockbands and acoustic guitar

I know Toronto has those scenes too but Atlanta has All that Toronto has but has the whole gammit of the black urban scene as well.Thats why people think its better if you are black in Atlanta because not to many cities that cater on the same level to minorities
Hey afonega1, thanks for the great insight! And yeah, Hip Hop ATL ALL DAY!!! Lol at the ghetto cats with gold teeth (so they do still be sporting grillz down there huh? LOL It really must a Dirty South thing!) Lol at the women too! I think I MIGHT try one of those ghetto clubs only if I feel adventurous (If you're gonna try to talk me out of it, please be my guess!) But if I decide to play it safe, I'll definitely try out the more classier Velvet-style clubs. Ah, so people dress up like they're starring in a Jay-Z music vid eh? Lol Well, I am the type of brother who likes to dress classy yet casual with my own sense of style

Noni's sounds pretty interesting too. As for East Atlanta Village, I do love both Alternative Rap and Rock, but really not much of a fan of dubstep (hint:Skrillex). Hmm...the ATL bar/lounge scene leaves much to be desired huh? Well, I can be adventurous sometimes, so I might still check either of those two out.

Atlanta really do sound as rowdy yet classy at the same time as it's often portrayed in the media lol. It will be really interesting visiting the place! Any nice food joints btw that y'all locals often eat at? I love Southern BBQ, International cuisines (Especially Jamaican, Haitian, Vietnamese, Chinese, Thai, Mexican, Indian, Afghani, and Japanese), Seafood, and Vegetarian (I've been developing a strong interest in Vegetarian dishes lately).

Oh, and Happy Holidays btw!

Old 12-26-2012, 07:17 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,713,407 times
Quote:
Dont do me like that.Im not oblivious when something is obviously better.I answer the question how I understand it.A good food city in my opinion should not only have a diverse option,but should also provide regional food presented to represent the taste of the city or region.Toronto is the cultural and historical representative of Canada.So why is it that when I have been there no one has been able to say:'you gotta eat this because it represents the city,province or region".I can in Atlanta eat any foods that can be found in any foodie city including food that represents Atlanta and the South.Is that not apart of the experience in vacationing some place different?Tell me really,what food can I get in Toronto but not Atlanta?

By the way what specialtiy food comes from Toronto?
Actually this article kinda explains better what im saying,
No, These Are the Top Cities in America For Dining Out - Listicles - Eater National
ATL is dead last. And for all that "history" and "culture" and being such a "great good city" ATL ain't even the best food city in the south. Not even ranked higher than HOU or DC, or DAL on the list you provided.

And what specialty food comes from Toronto? Everything. You name it: Greek, Thai, Italian, Portuguese, Carribean, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Ethiopian and all at a high level etc. Toronto just doesn't have one specialty food. Toronto caters to everyone from all walks of life and diversifies food options at a higher level than ATL.
And it's not just restaurants and such but when you discuss food you gotta really talk about food. Various street vendors of different types or foods, high class cuisine, wineries, food markets, etc. It's just too much for ATL to handle when you discuss food as a whole vs. Toronto. When ATL has the best food in the south or is in the top 3 in the south, then maybe we can sorta have a conversation.

Quote:
Well Toronto is much bigger so what is the point?Thats common sense. Architecturally ,Atlanta skyscrapers and High rises blow Toronto out of the water.Toronto is much denser.Atlanta has the tallest building at 1023ft which is BOA building.Toronto tallest is First Bank Tower at 978ft. Hardly anything in Edmonton comes close.That was an obvious insult if anyone knows anything about Edmonton.Montreal is fairer.

Look at Atlanta buildings versus Toronto's
Atlanta Skyscraper Diagram - SkyscraperPage.com

Toronto Skyscraper Diagram - SkyscraperPage.com
I agree. Atlanta really compares to cities on a lower tier than Toronto such as Montreal, Philly, Seattle etc.
But architecturally ATL's skyline is just a copy of ATL. No uniqueness to it. Toronto's skyline is unique and stands out. That's why Toronto's skyline is always ranked highly by experts on many lists whereas Atlanta's is not.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:14 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
People, you need to stop trying to compare Atlanta to Toronto, or Montreal for that matter. The one's that are doing it are either from Atlanta, strong American nationalists, or have never been to either Canadian city. They both simply blow Atlanta out of the water in every category other than shopping, maybe. The only reason that's the case is because American department stores are a lot better and Canada doesn't have any. Toronto and Montreal are both extremely walkable, have great underground cities, great cultural neighborhoods, and great public transportation. Toronto has the 2nd most skyscrapers in North America and the most under construction right now in the entire continent. Atlanta also wins in cost of living, forgot about that one. Bottom line, Toronto and Montreal are both in leagues ahead of Atlanta. Atlanta can be compared to places like Denver and Minneapolis, but not Toronto. Montreal is kind of so unique that no North American city can really be compared to it. Not saying it's better than every other city, but it is just too unique to compare to.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:13 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
ATL is dead last. And for all that "history" and "culture" and being such a "great good city" ATL ain't even the best food city in the south. Not even ranked higher than HOU or DC, or DAL on the list you provided.
It wasnt about the list.There are a hundred list and all of them are different. I posted it for the article.
And what specialty food comes from Toronto? Everything. You name it: Greek, Thai, Italian, Portuguese, Carribean, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Ethiopian and all at a high level etc. Toronto just doesn't have one specialty food. Toronto caters to everyone from all walks of life and diversifies food options at a higher level than ATL.
Umm..Pay attetion,I asked what specialty foods come FROM Toronto.Im pretty sure Greek food comes from Greece.But what food is Toronto known for?NYC,Chicago,Seattle,D.C. ALL have those foods.Why go to Toronto and have good Greek food when I can get it in D.C>?What's special about that?New Orleans has Cajun.Houston/Dallas has Southwestern

And it's not just restaurants and such but when you discuss food you gotta really talk about food. Various street vendors of different types or foods, high class cuisine, wineries, food markets, etc. It's just too much for ATL to handle when you discuss food as a whole vs. Toronto. When ATL has the best food in the south or is in the top 3 in the south, then maybe we can sorta have a conversation.
I gave my take in what I see as a good place for food and placed an article to explain my reason.Did you read it?Im not trying to convince anybody.I been to Toronto about 4 times and it was a wanna be NYC type.It was great but Ive been all over the world,some of the smallest things that have made the greatest impact.This is why everyone I know who has been to Montreal,loves it better than Toronto.It has NOTHING to do with size.

I agree. Atlanta really compares to cities on a lower tier than Toronto such as Montreal, Philly, Seattle etc.
But architecturally ATL's skyline is just a copy of ATL. No uniqueness to it. Toronto's skyline is unique and stands out. That's why Toronto's skyline is always ranked highly by experts on many lists whereas Atlanta's is not.
Actually they both are.Density is usually favored.But was this thread about me copycating what some subjective polls say or was it my opinion?Thats what I thought.You ave your uniformed OPINION about Atlanta.You made some statements that were not just opinion but as if you were informed enough to know what you were talking about.Obviously you were exposed.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:20 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Hey afonega1, thanks for the great insight! And yeah, Hip Hop ATL ALL DAY!!! Lol at the ghetto cats with gold teeth (so they do still be sporting grillz down there huh? LOL It really must a Dirty South thing!) Lol at the women too! I think I MIGHT try one of those ghetto clubs only if I feel adventurous (If you're gonna try to talk me out of it, please be my guess!) But if I decide to play it safe, I'll definitely try out the more classier Velvet-style clubs. Ah, so people dress up like they're starring in a Jay-Z music vid eh? Lol Well, I am the type of brother who likes to dress classy yet casual with my own sense of style

Noni's sounds pretty interesting too. As for East Atlanta Village, I do love both Alternative Rap and Rock, but really not much of a fan of dubstep (hint:Skrillex). Hmm...the ATL bar/lounge scene leaves much to be desired huh? Well, I can be adventurous sometimes, so I might still check either of those two out.

Atlanta really do sound as rowdy yet classy at the same time as it's often portrayed in the media lol. It will be really interesting visiting the place! Any nice food joints btw that y'all locals often eat at? I love Southern BBQ, International cuisines (Especially Jamaican, Haitian, Vietnamese, Chinese, Thai, Mexican, Indian, Afghani, and Japanese), Seafood, and Vegetarian (I've been developing a strong interest in Vegetarian dishes lately).

Oh, and Happy Holidays btw!

Here is something to take in.. Just a few vdeos

Opera Atlanta Nightclub :: Armin Van Buuren - YouTube

NAS shuts down club REIGN!! in ATL!! 5/4/12 "EPIC PERFORMANCE" - YouTube

Jay Z - Live at the Velvet Room - YouTube

GOLD ROOM Saturdays w/ armada Magazine, Atlanta's Hottest Club! [HQ] - YouTube

LED Robot at Sutra Lounge on 02.26.10 - YouTube

Old 12-26-2012, 10:22 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
People, you need to stop trying to compare Atlanta to Toronto, or Montreal for that matter. The one's that are doing it are either from Atlanta, strong American nationalists, or have never been to either Canadian city. They both simply blow Atlanta out of the water in every category other than shopping, maybe. The only reason that's the case is because American department stores are a lot better and Canada doesn't have any. Toronto and Montreal are both extremely walkable, have great underground cities, great cultural neighborhoods, and great public transportation. Toronto has the 2nd most skyscrapers in North America and the most under construction right now in the entire continent. Atlanta also wins in cost of living, forgot about that one. Bottom line, Toronto and Montreal are both in leagues ahead of Atlanta. Atlanta can be compared to places like Denver and Minneapolis, but not Toronto. Montreal is kind of so unique that no North American city can really be compared to it. Not saying it's better than every other city, but it is just too unique to compare to.
I give all the props in the world to Montreal.I love it there.Id move there if it were not so cold and other reasons I care not get into at the moment.I go at least every other year.I know it well.I have many friends in Toronto and Montreal.Toronto is just big.All the question I asked about Toronto,NO one has been able to provide and answer.Yet im just being a nationalist?

If this poll were Atlanta vs Chicago,D.C.,NYC, it would get blown out of water.The fact that its hanging with Toronto must mean some of what I have said is true.
No body has yet to say what is UNIQUE about Toronto!!Nothing.Its a nice big city with lots to do is all anyone can say.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Actually they both are.Density is usually favored.But was this thread about me copycating what some subjective polls say or was it my opinion?Thats what I thought.You ave your uniformed OPINION about Atlanta.You made some statements that were not just opinion but as if you were informed enough to know what you were talking about.Obviously you were exposed.
If you've really been to Toronto 4 times then you would know what the specialty and food culture of Toronto is. A diverse mix of everything. Toronto's cuisine history comes from all over the world and thats what makes the city cuisine so special and well known. It's like gumbo. A mix of everything. Toronto is not known for just one type of cultural/regional food. I'm sure you would know this if you really been to Toronto "four times" as you say. Toronto is not just a one regional food city like Atlanta. But more like Chicago and NYC where you find much much more. Not to mention the various food festivals in the city. If someone whats to attend a special event such as the Taste of the Danforth which is one of the largest Greek food festivals on Earth and attracts over 1 million people, they wouldnt go to DC, they would probably go to Toronto instead. If someone whats authentic Chinese or Thai they would go to NYC, or SF or Toronto. The same can be said about other food events/cuisines in Toronto, or other cities in North America.

Toronto is a "wannabe NYC"? LOL. How so? Speaking of Wannbe NYC, maybe you can view Atl's skyline and think again? Just because no one is agreeing with you, Atlanta's skyline doesn't rank anywhere (not even the best skyline in the south), the food of Atlanta doesn't rank higher than Toronto, and Atlanta ranks on a lower tier than Toronto overall doesn't mean you have to result to call Toronto a "wannabe NYC" (which I really don't get at all). I understand you have to defend your city, but bro, call a spade a spade. Just as everyone else is saying, Atl is not on the same level as Toronto whether it's food or skyline or whatever.
Just be happy you have the busiest airport. Y'all can win that category.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I give all the props in the world to Montreal.I love it there.Id move there if it were not so cold and other reasons I care not get into at the moment.I go at least every other year.I know it well.I have many friends in Toronto and Montreal.Toronto is just big.All the question I asked about Toronto,NO one has been able to provide and answer.Yet im just being a nationalist?

If this poll were Atlanta vs Chicago,D.C.,NYC, it would get blown out of water.The fact that its hanging with Toronto must mean some of what I have said is true.
No body has yet to say what is UNIQUE about Toronto!!Nothing.Its a nice big city with lots to do is all anyone can say.
Toronto is not in the United states. When you compare Atl to other American cities that people know of like DC, Chicago etc, then of course it would get blown out the water. But when you're comparing Atl to a city that some may not know too much about, is in another country, or have most likely have not traveled to, then it's a different story but because there there is more of a familiarity and nationalism towards Atl than that "city in Canada". Even with that said, Toronto is sill winning the poll at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Exactly. But some people still vote for Atl for some reason. LOL. Strange isn't it?

Old 12-26-2012, 11:26 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
Quote:

I didn't specifically call you or anyone out for being a nationalist. I just think that's what is being reflected in the poll. A lot of people are ignorant and think that Atlanta is automatically better because it's in America and no absolutely nothing about Toronto or the rest of the planet.

Toronto has so many things unique about it. Much more than Atlanta and I'd argue even more than Chicago. Toronto has the largest underground shopping complex in the world. It's 17 miles long! Toronto has a very large Chinatown and is home to the largest Chinese Mall in North America. Toronto has the largest streetcar system in North America. Toronto is the most diverse city in the world! Do I need to keep going? How is Atlanta more unique?

Old 12-26-2012, 11:43 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Well Toronto is much bigger so what is the point?Thats common sense. Architecturally ,Atlanta skyscrapers and High rises blow Toronto out of the water.Toronto is much denser.Atlanta has the tallest building at 1023ft which is BOA building.Toronto tallest is First Bank Tower at 978ft. Hardly anything in Edmonton comes close.That was an obvious insult if anyone knows anything about Edmonton.Montreal is fairer.

Look at Atlanta buildings versus Toronto's
Atlanta Skyscraper Diagram - SkyscraperPage.com

Toronto Skyscraper Diagram - SkyscraperPage.com
Actually, Toronto isn't that much larger then Atlanta.

Greater Toronto Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - 5.5M for the CMA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City