Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 08:22 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
That's 1.5-2 months!

The longest streaks in history where the temperature didn't get above freezing in Chicago:

1977: 6 weeks
1985: 4.7 weeks
1879: 4 weeks
1905: 4 weeks

To say the city goes 6-7 straight weeks below freezing every year is a gross overstatement. The longest in the past 125 years is just 6 weeks! On average it won't make it more than 1-2 weeks below freezing in any given year.

Although I find the frequency of snow to be the biggest stereotype people have about the city. People think it snows all the time...like every day.

If you look up the averages, from December 1st to March 31st, the city has a fairly consistent 2% to 3% chance of seeing 3" of now or more on any specific date. The highest rates are the 2nd week of January, where there is over 4% chance of getting 3" of snow or more. The chances of getting 2" or more of snow on any given date is 4% to 6%, and the average chance of getting even a dusting of snow is around 10% to 14%, with the highest chance peaking at the end of January at around 15%.

Today was 50 degrees. All my summer flowers are actually still outside blooming right now and it's December. I just put a picture of them on Facebook congratulating them on making it to winter
Yeah but with those 4 weeks, you might see like 2 days, then another 2 weeks...No need to be so accurate, you obviously know what I'm getting at.
Anyway, I find it funny people trying to defend Chicago winter. Most people know winter in Chicago sucks balls anyway you frame it. I might boost other aspects of Chicago, but I certainly will never boost the weather. It's a terrible winter, no doubt, and the summer isn't that great either, the temps were in the 120s heat index this summer. Midwest weather in general is the most extreme in the country. Everybody knows this. Not a secret. And Chicago has the worst weather of any major city in the U.S. outside Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 08:38 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
And Chicago has the worst weather of any major city in the U.S. outside Minneapolis.
And Milwaukee.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:20 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Why does every chi denver comparison thread end up with better weather being denver.

Denver has earlier snowfalls and subzero temps and also they go away later.
Denvers temperatures have wild swings which keeps one from adjusting to the weather.

Why is chicago weather always blown out of proportion?
Got any facts to back up your claims?

It's funny that you think the fact that it's currently snowing in Denver and not in Chicago trumps the general consensus nationally that Chicago has crappy winters and Denver has comparatively mild winters.

It's not a City Data conspiracy dude, it's reality no matter how you and your Chicago buddies choose to spin it.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:36 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
And Milwaukee.
True, but it's more or less right up the street from Chicago.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:18 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,468 times
Last week in Denver it was sunny and in the 60's..If I wanted to post every winter day in Denver at 55-70 while Chicago is in the 20's or below it would become laughable..Denver's winters are much better..ya it snows and gets very cold here though. Denver has wayyyy more winter sun as well..

Old 12-03-2011, 11:03 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
It actually snowed earlier this week here in Memphis, it didn't stick, but it stuck at my parents' house in the suburbs. Looked like a snow day.

A picture that my friend took:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/393583_10150978098095461_679820460_21386329_196781 8485_n.jpg (broken link)

Not bad for a really early snowfall in Memphis

Old 12-03-2011, 11:41 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Got any facts to back up your claims?

It's funny that you think the fact that it's currently snowing in Denver and not in Chicago trumps the general consensus nationally that Chicago has crappy winters and Denver has comparatively mild winters.

It's not a City Data conspiracy dude, it's reality no matter how you and your Chicago buddies choose to spin it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Last week in Denver it was sunny and in the 60's..If I wanted to post every winter day in Denver at 55-70 while Chicago is in the 20's or below it would become laughable..Denver's winters are much better..ya it snows and gets very cold here though. Denver has wayyyy more winter sun as well..
Yes and then the next day it'll be in the teens again. Big whoop.

The winters last longer in Denver.

Chicago does not have 6 months of winter as many City-data'ers claim.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:42 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,501,513 times
Wow some of you are just misinformed whilst some are blatant homers.

I grew up in the Midwest, same latitude as Chicago but further west in Iowa. I have also been in Chicago in the winter for about a month before. I moved to Denver a few years ago and it is MUCH milder in the winter.

Chicago is a great place, much more a city than Denver, but to argue that the winter is milder in Chicago is just asinine. I can't even believe this is a debate... isn't this common knowledge?

In Denver it does snow earlier, but that doesn't mean that there is a white coat on the ground October - May. A poster mentioned it snowing in Denver in October... I live here and if it did snow it did it once and I barely noticed it. How many snow storms in November? 1? Snowing early does not mean often.

In the coming months some of you will be enjoying your third week in a row of gray skies, sub-freezing temperatures, and ugly hard packed plowed snow. I will be walking around in a t-shirt in 60 degree weather, with no snow in sight... and you will still say Chicago is milder.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:43 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Snow? It's stll mid 50's here tonight.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:29 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,288,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
And Chicago has the worst weather of any major city in the U.S. outside Minneapolis.
I don't know if you're serious or not, but:

Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland to name major cities. There are plenty just a step or two down from those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City