Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 09:33 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times

Advertisements

St. Augustine needs a mention here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 09:50 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,181,799 times
Northeast: Boston, Philadelphia
West: San Francisco, Portland
Midwest: Cincinnati, St. Louis
South: New Orleans, Charleston

Old 01-20-2012, 09:57 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,442,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
St. Paul, MN is not at all a "European" city. In fact, there are no cities or towns really that fit the description in Minnesota.
Northfield.
On that note, I'd say the MOST European cities are probably all within the 5k-25k range. The bigger they get, the more "American" they are.
I think of Northfield, MN; Decorah, IA; and Pella, IA for my region.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:01 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,315 times
Northeast: Boston, Philadelphia, Washington DC
Midwest: Cincinnati, St. Louis
South: New Orleans
West: San Francisco, Seattle

Old 01-22-2012, 02:30 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,745 times
Northeast: Boston
Midwest: None
West: L.A.
South: D.C.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:59 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxontwinz View Post
So, what are the most European-like U.S. cities in each of the major regions?

Mountain West: is there any?
Santa Fe, NM: Though aestheticly it looks New Mexican and not anywhere like Europe; with its abundance in artistry, narrow streets, and cohesive downtown core surrounding the plaza, and a beautiful cathedral it's as close as it gets to a European model for a city in the Rocky Mountain West.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:07 PM

976 posts, read 2,242,569 times
for the midwest, st. louis wins in a landslide. cincinnati would be next.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:26 PM

69 posts, read 174,955 times
The funny thing is if you go up to Canada, Canada feels so much more European than the U.S. does. For example, Vancouver and Victoria, British Columbia are so much more European than Seattle and San Francisco are. Not to mention how European Montreal feels compared to Boston or how European Toronto feels compared to New York.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:36 PM

958 posts, read 1,197,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJoeDavola View Post
The funny thing is if you go up to Canada, Canada feels so much more European than the U.S. does. For example, Vancouver and Victoria, British Columbia are so much more European than Seattle and San Francisco are. Not to mention how European Montreal feels compared to Boston or how European Toronto feels compared to New York.
Of course they are. Canada seems to embrace their European colonial roots whereas the US has its own distinct identity, good or bad. Even our most European cities are still majorly US cities first and foremost.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:09 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,246 times
I don't think there are really any European feeling cities in the U.S. I mean, sure there are some superficial similarities in places like Boston and New Orleans, but scratch the surface, and they seem to have more in common with other American cities. Most of the cities people have named in this thread are very good cities, very urban, very walkable, great places for enthusiastic urbanists. But that doesn't mean they are European, just because European cities happen to meet those same criteria.

Let's drill down into a few of the popular choices. DC, is in my opinion, the quintisential American city. It has broad avenues, a distinctly non-European architecture (unless by European we mean Roman, but I suspect most would mean gothic), and is populated by people who desire a different pace and form of living than you'd find in Europe. San Francisco, is a modernistic city filled with sky scrapers and a uniform street grid. What is European about that? Certainly there is quite a bit of Victorian architecture, but does that mean European, or 19th century? When I think of San Francisco, I think of American ingenuity (eg cable cars, Apple, etc.), gold rush, asia/pacific orientation. None of that says Europe to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City