Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 12:31 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Milwaukee or Detroit but I thought Baltimore would've came ahead of the two. Oh well, I guess you can't judge a book (skyline in this case), you have to read the pages (walk the streets). I've Always been a huge fan Seattle though (I've only been for two days sadly though) so I'm not contesting it's spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 01:42 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
That list is absolutely ridiculous.

New York City "cleaner" than Chicago? Are you kidding me?

Yes, it wins at most things but NOT that.

The list has been officially disregarded.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:01 AM

573 posts, read 1,050,430 times
I have spent quite a bit of time in downtown Milwaukee and have been there several times and i can say that if downtown Minneapolis is not on this list then Milwaukee definitely should not be.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:38 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_TC View Post
I have spent quite a bit of time in downtown Milwaukee and have been there several times and i can say that if downtown Minneapolis is not on this list then Milwaukee definitely should not be.
Maybe you're right. I'm originally from Minnesota, and speak from some experience too. There's a difference between the two, and maybe that difference fit the criteria better. Minneapolis isn't as lively outside of work hours. Maybe it's because of skywalks, but it's downright pedestrian-free a lot of the time on week-ends, even when it's not cold out. It doesn't have anything to compare to Lake Michigan downtown, either.

On that Lake, sits one of the most unique structures in the entire country, the Milwaukee Art Museum. Next to the museum is a sandy beach, with volleyball nets set up all summer long. Just down the river that disects, is the Third Ward - one of the more unique urban neighborhoods you'll find anywhere.

I think downtown Milwaukee is, perhaps, more unique. The Twin Cities metro is a lot bigger than Milwaukee's, but the city proper population of Milwaukee is a lot bigger than Minneapolis'. That said, who knows why it was chosen (other than the reasons given).

Old 01-24-2012, 06:10 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
That list is absolutely ridiculous.

New York City "cleaner" than Chicago? Are you kidding me?

Yes, it wins at most things but NOT that.

The list has been officially disregarded.

NYC has become very clean, some people feel too disneyish in ways, DT Chicago is clean as well but to me NYC is equally if not cleaner

This isnt 1980 anymore

Old 01-24-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8loody View Post
Downtown Chicago not clean?
Dc more vibrant than Chicago?

Yup this article has just lost all credibility.
It isnt awful by any means but DC still to me is a level behind the top 5 (NYC/Chi/Philly/SF/Boston) on vibrancy (especially when all hours day into night are considered)

Last edited by kidphilly; 01-24-2012 at 07:01 AM..

Old 01-24-2012, 06:51 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
It isnt awful but DC still to me is a level behind the top 5 (NYC/Chi/Philly/SF/Boston) on vibrancy
This list seems accurate to me! DT DC is more vibrant during the day than all of the other DT's with the exception of NYC & Chicago. DT DC is bigger than all of the other DT's with the exception of NYC & Chicago. DT DC has a much higher daytime population than all of the other DT's with the exception of NYC & Chicago. DT DC has higher transit ridership than all of the other DT's except NYC. DT DC has more things to do and see than any of these other cities with the exception of NYC. DT DC lacks shopping and a huge residential base.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
This list seems accurate to me! DT DC is more vibrant during the day than all of the other DT's with the exception of NYC & Chicago. DT DC is bigger than all of the other DT's with the exception of NYC & Chicago. DT DC has a much higher daytime population than all of the other DT's with the exception of NYC & Chicago. DT DC has higher transit ridership than all of the other DT's except NYC. DT DC has more things to do and see than any of these other cities with the exception of NYC. DT DC lacks shopping and a huge residential base.
And is still lacking relative to others after business hours, not bad but still not consistently at the level

Another thing is the daytime population is higher but spread over the footprint, so not as dense. I think DC is very good, still to me overall (all things and hours considered) is still behind the top 5 IMHO

And not totally sure I agree on things to see and do; especially after daytime hours. DC excels with museums and monuments but does not fare as well on others aspects, especially those after 5 relative to some other cities.

Last edited by kidphilly; 01-24-2012 at 07:10 AM..

Old 01-24-2012, 07:12 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
And is still lacking relative to others after business hours, not bad but still not consistently at the level

Another thing is the daytime population is higher but spread over the footprint, so not as dense. I think DC is very good, still to me overall (all things and hours considered) is still behind the top 5 IMHO

And not totally sure I agree on things to see and do; especially after daytime hours. DC excels with museums and monuments but does not fare as well on others aspects, especially those after 5 relative to some other cities.
That's where we disagree!
There are over 500 non profits and associations in DC. They all host countless parties in DT DC. You don't understand the make up of DC. Where you see a museum that closes at 5 p.m., some association has rented the place out to host a party. Prime example: The National Association of Black Journalist is having a party at the Newseum to show the movie Red Tails on Thursday. I was on 14th & K at 3am on a Thursday night. It was 25 degrees but there were people all over the place at three parties (The Park, Lima and Lotus) on the same block.

Where DC lacks in shopping, it makes up for it in things to do and see. No other city has (except NYC) more things to do in its DT area.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
That's where we disagree!
There are over 500 non profits and associations in DC. They all host countless parties in DT DC. You don't understand the make up of DC. Where you see a museum that closes at 5 p.m., some association has rented the place out to host a party. Prime example: The National Association of Black Journalist is having a party at the Newseum to show the movie Red Tails on Thursday. I was on 14th & K at 3am on a Thursday night. It was 25 degrees but there were people all over the place at three parties (The Park, Lima and Lotus) on the same block.

Where DC lacks in shopping, it makes up for it in things to do and see. No other city has (except NYC) more things to do in its DT area.
Actually I lived in DC and have been to many such events (Personally my favorite (well also a rooftop party at the Kitano in Mid Town) was a reception (warm weather) on the roof at the Library of Congress with unbelievable views down onto the Capital and mall); But you do realize these such events are not unique to DC correct? More politically focused typically yes, but unique to DC in this type of event, no and this is where others have more other types of evening stuff IMHO that are more cohesive generating more consistent after hours street vibrance.

DC has some pockets of activity (we have been through this before, and yes you always bring up basically the same location) but overall does not maintain the level of consistency; and yes the spread of the DT diminishes the overall vibrancy. It is getting better but doesnt have the density of vibrancy that some others do after business hours.

But yes we will likely continue to disagree. DC is not bad by any means, but as a city that goes day into night it just does not yet maintain a consistent level of activity like some others.

Sounds like DC is actully geeting more shopping though (though to me overall shopping is good but is another aspect that dies down by 7/8 typically)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City