Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 09:23 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
It's not even in the city of Las Vegas. By that rationale someone can just call Miami Beach, downtown Miami, or basically anywhere in Los Angeles, downtown Los Angeles, or Midtown Atlanta or Buckhead, downtown Atlanta. And then this thread dissolves into anarchy.
Okay I see your point. IDK why it's a big deal I didn't rank it Number 1. I thought I'd through it in there because the strip has good nightlife, restaurants and shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 09:25 PM

1. Manhattan
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco
4. Philadelphia
5. Boston
6. DC
7. Seattle
8. San Diego
9. Los Angeles
10. Portland
11. New Orleans
12. Baltimore
13. Denver
14. Miami
15. San Antonio
16. Minneapolis
17. Pittsburgh
18. Austin
19. Nashville
20. Sacramento

Do we agree then that THIS would be the top 20? In whatever way you would want to put them. Would you throw Dallas and Houston in there? Even though they are basically 9-5 business districts and nothing more?

Old 11-21-2013, 09:55 PM

979 posts, read 2,094,390 times
^
Sacramento in top 20? I'm flattered my hometown made your list. But Sac's downtown closes shop at 5 p.m too. Dallas, Houston, Milwaukee, even Oakland probably rank better than Sacramento

Old 11-21-2013, 10:04 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,422,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
? Haha that is not even remotely the same thing. The Strip is the center of Las Vegas' business, nightlife, restaurants, tourism, EVERYTHING!
My point was that it's irrelevant whether the Strip is important or not; the fact is that it isn't downtown Las Vegas; in fact it isn't even in Las Vegas. We were talking downtowns, not suburbs.

The most important retail center in the Philly area is at King of Prussia. By this logic, King of Prussia could be considered "downtown Philly" because of its primacy in retail? I think you would agree this doesn't make much sense.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
^
Sacramento in top 20? I'm flattered my hometown made your list. But Sac's downtown closes shop at 5 p.m too. Dallas, Houston, Milwaukee, even Oakland probably rank better than Sacramento
Really? Never been but to me it looks like there is a good amount of bars.

Dallas and Houston close at 5PM too. Milwaukee is def a contender. How is Oakland downtown? Never been.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:06 PM

274 posts, read 470,596 times
Listen guys, I'm just a Tupelo, Miss, guy who has his own likings. This is what I feel about the rankings of downtowns. Yes, Indianapolis is top 10. Even some surveys said the same thing. To me, Philly is a knockout and more interesting than Manhattan. I just visited Manhattan and Philly this past Summer. I didn't know Philly was that good. I was an original skeptic of Philly before I went and saw this city. I stand by this list. Downtown San Diego is awesome but can be quiet in the afternoons since most people are in the North county area for work.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:09 PM

592 posts, read 828,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
^
I can't speak on speak the other cities you mentioned, but yes, Oakland does have a better downtown than Sacramento imo. Out of the major cities in California(400,000 or more) I'd actually rank Oakland 5th behind SF, SD, Long Beach and LA. That doesn't mean I think one should casually stroll around downtown Oakland at night not knowing where you're going.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:09 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,422,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bird View Post
Listen guys, I'm just a Tupelo, Miss, guy who has his own likings. This is what I feel about the rankings of downtowns. Yes, Indianapolis is top 10. Even some surveys said the same thing. To me, Philly is a knockout and more interesting than Manhattan.
If you think sprawly, sparse Indy has a Top 10 downtown, and Philly has a better downtown than NYC, then I highly recommend you get your eyes checked.

Indy probably wouldn't be Top 10 even in the Midwest. Philly has a great downtown, but is like a tiny fraction of Manhattan. Philly + every other major U.S. downtown (Boston, SF, Chicago, DC, etc.) doesn't match up with Manhattan.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
If you think sprawly, sparse Indy has a Top 10 downtown, and Philly has a better downtown than NYC, then I highly recommend you get your eyes checked.

Indy probably wouldn't be Top 10 even in the Midwest. Philly has a great downtown, but is like a tiny fraction of Manhattan. Philly + every other major U.S. downtown (Boston, SF, Chicago, DC, etc.) doesn't match up with Manhattan.
Don't even bother with him. Seriously. You know what I want to call him but I'll get an infraction and suspended from the site for three days if I do.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:21 PM

1. Manhattan
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco
4. Philadelphia
5. Boston
6. DC
7. Seattle
8. San Diego
9. Los Angeles
10. Portland
11. New Orleans
12. Baltimore
13. Denver
14. Miami
15. San Antonio
16. Minneapolis
17. Pittsburgh
18. Austin
19. Nashville
20. Milwaukee

Is this a good list then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City