Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2023, 08:05 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Is DC going to buy it or something? I watched news clips that stated that Leonsis owns the Capital One Arena outright and that he plans to keep it open and play women's games there.

How badly must he want out of DC to leave an arena that he owns outright?

No, DC gets the arena for free.

Ground Lease

"ground lease is an agreement that permits a tenant to develop a piece of property during the period of the lease. After the lease period, the land and all improvements the tenant makes return to the property owner. Ground leases may also be referred to as land leases since the landlord is leasing out only the land."

Monumental Moment: Wizards and Capitals Leaving DC for Potomac Yard

"Capital One Area opened in 1997 and Monumental’s ground lease is set to expire in 2027. Monumental owns the arena, but leases the land from the District. The two teams are expected to continue playing there until the new arena is ready in 2027."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2023, 08:11 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Why? Arena's are pretty vibrant, especially compared to a mediocre mall. They don't have as much to offer locals but they bring in crowds that support locals businesses which is a great benefit.

Unless you mean that they want taxpayers to build it. That would be a hard no for me.
To clarify, I am not against it, but I question how much an arena will improve the area. East Market Street (8th-11th) is a tired stretch that needs some TLC, and if an arena replaces half the mall, then the area needs a master plan for the adjacent blocks that introduces cohesive residential, hotels, retail, streetscape improvements, etc. It could be a transformative project if done right.

The Sixers owners are making a good effort in addressing residents concerns, and the project would be privately funded (which is huge).

The final plans haven't been fully developed / approved, but demo of the mall would start in 2026 and the arena would open for the 2031/32 season. And at the end of the day, East Market Street needs a shakeup, and an arena will likely be it.

Last edited by cpomp; 12-16-2023 at 08:24 AM..

Old 12-16-2023, 08:41 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
To clarify, I am not against it, but I question how much an arena will improve the area. East Market Street (8th-11th) is a tired stretch that needs some TLC, and if an arena replaces half the mall, then the area needs a master plan for the adjacent blocks that introduces cohesive residential, hotels, retail, streetscape improvements, etc. It could be a transformative project if done right.

The Sixers owners are making a good effort in addressing residents concerns, and the project would be privately funded (which is huge).

The final plans haven't been fully developed / approved, but demo of the mall would start in 2026 and the arena would open for the 2031/32 season. And at the end of the day, East Market Street needs a shakeup, and an arena will likely be it.
My biggest concern is if we get the arena, we'll really be stuck with it. Other development potential is more flexible as businesses come and businesses go, and nothing else is going to dominate the area like an entire arena.

The obvious pushback is that there are no other major potential projects at the moment, and the area is in need of TLC. I get that. I just don't think we need to jump into something that will be (practically) impossible to reverse.

I do think the tale of the Capitol One arena is one to take as cautionary. I love that Philly has a real Chinatown, and I'd hate to see it go in favor of big business commercialization. Yes, Market St. East is in need of revitalization. But not all development is simply 'good' development. With patience, I bet we'll see projects that more gracefully transform the area without putting Chinatown out to pasture.

Old 12-16-2023, 02:26 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
My biggest concern is if we get the arena, we'll really be stuck with it. Other development potential is more flexible as businesses come and businesses go, and nothing else is going to dominate the area like an entire arena.

The obvious pushback is that there are no other major potential projects at the moment, and the area is in need of TLC. I get that. I just don't think we need to jump into something that will be (practically) impossible to reverse.
So the arena is good but your worry is that sometime in the future it won't be wanted anymore? That seems very low risk to me. How often do cities want arenas to leave. Less regret risk than an apartment or office building imo.

Old 12-16-2023, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
No, DC gets the arena for free.

Ground Lease

"ground lease is an agreement that permits a tenant to develop a piece of property during the period of the lease. After the lease period, the land and all improvements the tenant makes return to the property owner. Ground leases may also be referred to as land leases since the landlord is leasing out only the land."

Monumental Moment: Wizards and Capitals Leaving DC for Potomac Yard

"Capital One Area opened in 1997 and Monumental’s ground lease is set to expire in 2027. Monumental owns the arena, but leases the land from the District. The two teams are expected to continue playing there until the new arena is ready in 2027."
Yeah, the end of lease aligns with them moving so there's an opportunity. Hope that it works out. If it were LA, it'd almost certainly become affordable housing.

Old 12-16-2023, 03:19 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,802 times
Quote:
So the arena is good but your worry is that sometime in the future it won't be wanted anymore? That seems very low risk to me. How often do cities want arenas to leave. Less regret risk than an apartment or office building imo.
No, that's not exactly what I said. I guess there's a reason you omitted my final paragraph.

Old 12-16-2023, 03:30 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Just left DC after spending a few days there. Was by the convention center.

Uh… where the **** is “downtown?”

I’ll say I loved the city as a whole, how vibrant the streets/sidewalks are all throughout… But as far as having a “downtown?” Where?

It generally reminds me of a less condensed version of the villages in Manhattan.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 12-16-2023 at 04:20 PM..

Old 12-16-2023, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
No, that's not exactly what I said. I guess there's a reason you omitted my final paragraph.
I didn't understand how it related to your first two paragraphs. DC wants the teams to stay. Their regret is that they didn't do more to keep the team when they had the opportunity.

Old 12-16-2023, 04:54 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,317,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Just left DC after spending a few days there. Was by the convention center.

Uh… where the **** is “downtown?”

I’ll say I loved the city as a whole, how vibrant the streets/sidewalks are all throughout… But as far as having a “downtown?” Where?

It generally reminds me of a less condensed version of the villages in Manhattan.
DC doesn't have a traditional downtown in the sense of soaring skyscrapers criss crossed with narrow one-way street. It's intentionally European in design/layout with strict height limits.

But officially downtown DC is pretty much everything immediately north of the White House to P St. NW (Logan & Dupont Circle).

Old 12-16-2023, 10:55 PM

14,156 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
DC doesn't have a traditional downtown in the sense of soaring skyscrapers criss crossed with narrow one-way street. It's intentionally European in design/layout with strict height limits.

But officially downtown DC is pretty much everything immediately north of the White House to P St. NW (Logan & Dupont Circle).
So does this mean that Metro Center subway station, where both of DC's homegrown department stores were located, is not in "downtown" DC? The station is located three blocks east of the White House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City