Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 01:10 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,420,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
local whole foods isn't in a high rise:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Whole...313.8,,0,-5.97
I know this WF and it is in a highrise. It's just that the highrise is set back from the retail base.

If you look around the back of the building, you will see a 40 floor or so tower on the other end.

Also, one could argue this WF is sorta in "downtown" Manhattan, if we mean Wall Street area. It's kind of on the border of Tribeca and Financial District.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 01:11 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
I know this WF and it is in a highrise. It's just that the highrise is set back from the retail base.

If you look around the back of the building, you will see a 40 floor or so tower on the other end.

Also, one could argue this WF is sorta in "downtown" Manhattan, if we mean Wall Street area. It's kind of on the border of Tribeca and Financial District.
I don't understand why NYC doesn't have the 45 degree option on Google Maps.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I don't understand why NYC doesn't have the 45 degree option on Google Maps.
Parts of it do. Manhattan roughly a bit below Houston St north to 20th street. Bing has 45° for the whole city. You check my first street view?

Old 12-04-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Parts of it do. Manhattan roughly a bit below Houston St north to 20th street. Bing has 45° for the whole city. You check my first street view?
This one? http://goo.gl/maps/3dYjU

Old 12-04-2013, 02:21 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,599,691 times
In relation to the WF being in Detroit, uhh, there's a whole neighborhood closer to downtown based around food distribution. Sure, it's not open 12 hours each day, but it does have a lot of independent food vendors.

Detroit Eastern Market

In addition to that, there's actually a few grocery stores around downtown... depending on if you think it's downtown proper or just in the vicinity. The only thing special about WF is that it's one of the first national chain grocers to open in Detroit in the last 15 years or so.

Lafayette Foods
University Foods Midtown
Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe
Food Pride Detroit | 2010

Old 12-04-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
In relation to the WF being in Detroit, uhh, there's a whole neighborhood closer to downtown based around food distribution. Sure, it's not open 12 hours each day, but it does have a lot of independent food vendors.

Detroit Eastern Market

In addition to that, there's actually a few grocery stores around downtown... depending on if you think it's downtown proper or just in the vicinity. The only thing special about WF is that it's one of the first national chain grocers to open in Detroit in the last 15 years or so.

Lafayette Foods
University Foods Midtown
Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe
Food Pride Detroit | 2010
haha I was waiting for you to comment, I know you are the number #1 source for all things Detroit on here.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:38 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,237,301 times
Quote:
Nob Hill isn't downtown SF, nor is SoMa.
I think many people would say that they are. Much of SOMA and the south side of Nob Hill at least. I consider "downtown SF" to be the financial district, most of SOMA (excluding the most southern/southwestern parts), the Tenderloin, civic center, and the southern parts of both nob hill and Chinatown.

Quote:
Those areas are not referred to as downtown SF. They aren't the office or commercial or governmental cores of the city. They're both peripheral residential zones.
SoMa also has tons of office space, existing and under construction, and a lot of it is quite clearly part of downtown. That includes plenty of government stuff too. Nob Hill is mostly residential yes (so what, since when could downtown areas not include residential parts?), but it also includes some very busy/large/famous tourist hotels, all of which is right next to "the office or commercial or governmental cores", as you put it.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
I think many people would say that they are. Much of SOMA and the south side of Nob Hill at least. I consider "downtown SF" to be the financial district, most of SOMA (excluding the most southern/southwestern parts), the Tenderloin, civic center, and the southern parts of both nob hill and Chinatown.

SoMa also has tons of office space, existing and under construction, and a lot of it is quite clearly part of downtown. That includes plenty of government stuff too. Nob Hill is mostly residential yes (so what, since when could downtown areas not include residential parts?), but it also includes some very busy/large/famous tourist hotels, all of which is right next to "the office or commercial or governmental cores", as you put it.
In cities like San Francisco, Boston, Philly where the neighborhoods sort of bleed into the core, it is harder to tell where downtown begins and ends. Other cities like Los Angeles and Chicago it is pretty cut-and-dry.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:52 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,757,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
In cities like San Francisco, Boston, Philly where the neighborhoods sort of bleed into the core, it is harder to tell where downtown begins and ends. Other cities like Los Angeles and Chicago it is pretty cut-and-dry.

Wouldn't it be easy to tell where downtown stops and ends in Philly and Boston? I could understand San Fran because it's built up more. Seems like Center City is pretty cut and dry going from a mix of highrise's and rowhomes to straight rowhomes.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Wouldn't it be easy to tell where downtown stops and ends in Philly and Boston? I could understand San Fran because it's built up more. Seems like Center City is pretty cut and dry going from a mix of highrise's and rowhomes to straight rowhomes.
I don't know, maybe that is true - only been to Philly once. Boston is a little ambiguous because Back Bay is so built up though is not really considered the traditional "downtown", though many people consider it to be downtown Boston.

BTW I'd put DC with the other cities that it is hard to tell where downtown begins and ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City