Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you choose to live?
DC 89 44.06%
San Francisco 113 55.94%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 12:48 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times

Advertisements

San Francisco over D.C. on all counts. San Francisco has culture, ethnic diversity, topography, an extremely impressive skyline, is not riddled with the political turmoil of DC, in terms of crime is much safer, and is a great place to live for those who can afford to, although DC is very expensive as well. And as a plus, it doesn't get the cold, snowy, and icy winters DC gets, nor does it get brutally hot in the summer. Its climate is perfect. Never too hot or too cold. And for those who claim proximity to other cities is an issue, it's pretty close to Sacramento...other than that, San Francisco is such an amazing place that really, why would you care about its proximity to other cities, even to Los Angeles? DC just does not have that kind of allure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 12:51 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
SF - i don't know the specifics. i think DC may have better restaurants, museums

but overall city vibe goes to SF

i just like dirty downtowns
San Francisco has restaurants every bit as good as DC if not better...not to mention DC has nothing on Chinatown. And San Francisco was one of the cleanest cities I've ever been to. And the bums in SFO I've found are much friendlier and less aggressive than in DC. In fact, many of the ones I've seen in SF could pass for middle class in other cities.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:52 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
San Francisco has restaurants every bit as good as DC if not better...not to mention DC has nothing on Chinatown. And San Francisco was one of the cleanest cities I've ever been to. And the bums in SFO I've found are much friendlier and less aggressive than in DC. In fact, many of the ones I've seen in SF could pass for middle class in other cities.
Personally I find SF to be dirtier or grittier than DC.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:54 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Yeah kid, geography has nothing to do with the fact why Puerto Ricans traditionally settled on the East Coast--a short distance away from the Carribbean itself or why Haitians and Cubans settle in Florida...

Thanks for proving my point about the redundant East Coast vs. West Coast posts on here... Get ready for 500 more pages of ethnic demographic stats!
Jamaicans are the most represented black group in Toronto despite Toronto being far in distance from Jamaica. Jamaican slang is even rampant in London.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:55 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
Monclaire-

This might be an apt time to post your link about the rate of self-employment in SF, and contrast that to the national expression of dependency that is DC.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:57 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Jamaicans are the most represented black group in Toronto despite Toronto being far in distance from Jamaica. Jamaican slang is even rampant in London.
Yeah, Jamaicans settled in British Commonwealth countries like Canada and the UK. However, you don't find many Jamaicans in Western Canadian cities like Calgary and Vancouver. Hmm...why might that be?

Old 02-14-2012, 12:59 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Yeah, Jamaicans settled in British Commonwealth countries like Canada and the UK. However, you don't find many Jamaicans in Western Canadian cities like Calgary and Vancouver. Hmm...why is that?
Nope, there are Jamaicans in the western parts of Canada even Haitians. Tons of Haitians in Montreal.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:00 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
SF has nothing on Little Ethiopia and Little El Salvador. You lose credibility with your post. SF is one of the dirtiest major cities.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:01 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Nope, there are Jamaicans in the western parts of Canada even Haitians. Tons of Haitians in Montreal.
Montreal is about the easternmost major city in Eastern Canada.

I lived in Edmonton for four years and go to Vancouver BC on a regular basis. Trust me, there's no real sizable Jamaican population there compared to Toronto.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:10 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkKnick11390 View Post
I also don't care about how the natural appearance and urban context of my hometown, because my conception of relating to any urban environment is limited to "driving in a car." Nor do I care about proximity to urban environment, mostly because there is nothing within many hundreds of miles that has distinctive urban traits to warrant a visit. Also, I can do more relevant things like taking a 2 hour car ride to a polluted national park to stare at some rocks.

An SF liberal talking about DEPENDENCY ON THE GOVERNMENT?
I biked to down along the beach to DT long Beach last weekend and worked in my garden, and went parasailing in Catalina the weekend before that. I hope you enjoyed the bus trip to go shopping.

Not from SF, and you implied liberal, which is a fatal tell of your ignorance. SF has the highest rate of self-employment in the nation and exists in the country's largest net donor state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City