Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you choose to live?
DC 89 44.06%
San Francisco 113 55.94%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:47 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,760,072 times

Advertisements

The craziest thing about this is the development doesn't stop at the D.C. line. When I say D.C. is booming, it's booming!

Tyson's Corner is the largest redevelopment project ever administered in this nation.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3165/...92dd10d2bf.jpg
Tysons Tomorrow
**Contains 4 metro stops**

White Flint is another Major Redevelopment
http://fallschurchtimes.com/wp-conte...whiteflint.jpg
Montgomery Planning: Interactive maps - Montgomery County Master Plan Staging
**Contains one metro stop**

Wheaton Redevelopment
Wheaton Redevelopment Concept Drawing | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rob_goodspeed/299577474/ - broken link)
Wheaton's New Downtown | Creating a vibrant, transit-oriented, mixed use community

New Carrolton Redevelopment
Move of Md. housing department to New Carrollton officially announced - The Washington Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/01/re...the-metro.html

Potomac Yard 7.5 million square foot Redevelopment
http://www.mccafferyinterests.com/re...ion%20%20r.pdf
http://www.sgalliance.org/images/Nor...e1.sm.crop.jpg
**Building new Infill Metro Station**

These are all major redevelopment projects with million upon millions of square feet of redevelopment. D.C. is just on another level man.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 02-24-2012 at 12:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 12:52 PM

515 posts, read 986,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
These are all major redevelopment projects with million upon millions of square feet of redevelopment. D.C. is just on another level man.
How so? Redevelopment projects like these are not unique to DC.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:53 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
That's not what he's saying. DC just has much more currently going on than most cities.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
So lets see, its projected that the total value of construction projects in SF btwn 2007-2011 is around $35 Billion.

San Francisco Construction Information | California Construction Projects | McGraw-Hill Construction

LOL@ the fool who thinks that nobody else has money to get anything done. Yawn.
Honestly, as a smart growth proponent and planner, I only get excited about urban construction. I don't get excited about roads. I don't get excited about highways. I don't get excited about grocery stores unless they are on the first floor of a residential/office building with below grade parking. You continue to post all these non-smart growth projects which is pushing San Francisco backwards in my opinion. Think about how many more Bart stations could have been built instead of spending that money on highways and bridges. Just sad really! And you wonder why we are light years ahead of San Fran in Public transit. By the way, stop building single family houses, the future is urban living.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's not what he's saying. DC just has much more currently going on than most cities.
Wow....Thank You so much! Is it really that hard to understand?

Old 02-24-2012, 12:56 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

And so much as others may not believe; yes this absolutely is very true

SF does not have the same total level of activity as DC; has a lot but not as much

Old 02-24-2012, 01:02 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
They seem to think its not happening anywhere else. An amusing folly.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
They seem to think its not happening anywhere else. An amusing folly.
I never said it wasn't happening anywhere else. I said we have more happening than anywhere else. MAJOR DIFFERENCE!

On a side note, how do you feel about all the non-urban construction going on in the Bay Area? Do you think highways and bridge construction over subway construction is a good thing? Do you think strip malls with surface parking is a good thing? Do you support smart growth or single family home cul-de-sac construction?

Old 02-24-2012, 01:34 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,609,068 times
Oh please, can we stop pretending that the DC area doesn't invest heavily in single family homes and highways? Ever heard of the Intercounty Connector, a brand new 14-mile highway/freeway that's being constructed in the DC suburbs? I don't think the Bay Area has any new freeways even on the radar screen. Improvements to existing roads, yes. But completely new highways?

Let's not forget the hundreds of millions that were spent on the Springfield Mixing Bowl Interchange and the billions being spent on upgrading the Woodrow Wilson Bridge.

As for housing, the DC suburbs have done a stellar job with transit-oriented development around the metro stations, probably far better than any other region in the nation. It's amazing how places like Bethesda, Silver Spring, Ballston, Pentagon City, etc. are more urban than the supposed "inner city" neighborhoods of most American cities. It's unbelievable how much of a difference the presence of a metro station can make in that region. However, travel away from these metro lines and you'll see that the vast majority of the DC suburbs are pure single family home dominated suburbia just like everywhere else. Let's not kid ourselves.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:40 PM

515 posts, read 986,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayanYankee
Based on previous posts, I believe he's saying DC has more going on than all U.S. cities, ever. Which is complete hyperbole. I full-heartedly agree that DC has more going on than most cities. San Francisco? Maybe. New York? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Honestly, as a smart growth proponent and planner, I only get excited about urban construction. I don't get excited about roads. I don't get excited about highways. I don't get excited about grocery stores unless they are on the first floor of a residential/office building with below grade parking. You continue to post all these non-smart growth projects which is pushing San Francisco backwards in my opinion. Think about how many more Bart stations could have been built instead of spending that money on highways and bridges. Just sad really! And you wonder why we are light years ahead of San Fran in Public transit. By the way, stop building single family houses, the future is urban living.
Are you even looking at the links being provided? Clearly not.

Transbay terminal is a multi-modal transportation hub. Explain to me how this is pushing the city backwards?

Mission Bay includes an Muni light rail extension? How is that not smart growth?

The Bay Bridge reconstruction is incredibly important, as the existing span is not seismically safe, and needs to be replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City