Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 10th most influential US City
Atlanta 40 53.33%
Denver 10 13.33%
Detroit 6 8.00%
Honolulu 3 4.00%
Miami 4 5.33%
Seattle 12 16.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 11:26 AM

704 posts, read 1,791,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwavies View Post
Your ignorance is laughable. Why in the world should New Orleans be involved in these discussions??? That's the funniest thing I've EVER read.

And if you doubt Denver's importance...

GLOBAL CITIES

Make sure you READ the criteria of being a global city and the overall influence they have on the global economy. Notice where Denver is placed relative to other major US cities. Also notice that New Orleans doesn't place at all. Denver absolutely deserves to be in discussion. Should it win the poll...probably not (top 15 most influential for sure). But New Orleans??? What a joke.
Denver is not even in the top-20 in terms of media markets. And, frankly, Denver is a bit of a cultural backwater, unless culture is defined in terms of "pass interference" and "first down."

I was born and raised here, and I'm still living here, but never could I seriously contend that Denver is important to anybody other than those living in Colorado and the surrounding rural areas, or the many tourists who drive, without stopping, through Denver on the way to the mountains for a ski trip.

By the way, I do shop at Walmart. In fact, in my Denver suburb there is a Super Wal-Mart and a regular Wal-Mart roughly 2.5 miles apart. On the same street. Because I'd much rather run an errand to buy a box of Honeybuns and and a pair of jeans at Wal-Mart than visit an art museum. Give me Hostess over Picasso any day of the week. Maybe that's pathetic and parochial, but it's why I live in Denver and not San Francisco (or any of the other cities mentioned in this discussion).

Last edited by GoneNative; 03-09-2012 at 11:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 03:17 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Denver is not even in the top-20 in terms of media markets. And, frankly, Denver is a bit of a cultural backwater, unless culture is defined in terms of "pass interference" and "first down."

I was born and raised here, and I'm still living here, but never could I seriously contend that Denver is important to anybody other than those living in Colorado and the surrounding rural areas, or the many tourists who drive, without stopping, through Denver on the way to the mountains for a ski trip.

By the way, I do shop at Walmart. In fact, in my Denver suburb there is a Super Wal-Mart and a regular Wal-Mart roughly 2.5 miles apart. On the same street. Because I'd much rather run an errand to buy a box of Honeybuns and and a pair of jeans at Wal-Mart than visit an art museum. Give me Hostess over Picasso any day of the week. Maybe that's pathetic and parochial, but it's why I live in Denver and not San Francisco (or any of the other cities mentioned in this discussion).
Where do you come up with your facts?

Denver is a top 20 media market and has been for quite some time. We're actually #18.
Top 100 Television Markets - Station Index

And your claim that no one would want to stop and spend time in Denver is completely bogus. The Colorado Convention Center alone draws in visitors from all over the world. Denver actually ranks as the 11th most popular convention destination in the U.S.

http://www.meetingsource.com/convention_centers.htm

Old 03-09-2012, 09:28 PM

38 posts, read 76,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post

Denver has been a top 20 media market in the US for DECADES. Anyone with adequate research abilities and a brain knows that. Also, the GaWC ranks Denver as the 15th most influential US city globally which I find much more creditable than the opinion of a nobody regardless of where you were born and raised (unless you have some credentials you would like to share).

Also, I'm confused as to what you're eluding to with the Wal-mart/art museum comment. If you believe that having Wal-marts in the suburbs of Denver is something unique then you're truly sheltered. Forgoing art history and shopping for garments at Wal-mart is a personal prerogative rather than insight into Denver's culture. There's people like you in every city, even San Fransisco. How that has anything to do with influence is beyond me.

I would recommend a little research before posting considering you came off extremely clueless.

Last edited by Dwavies; 03-09-2012 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-10-2012, 11:13 PM

422 posts, read 815,395 times
Denver is the most important city in an entire time zone.
Denver has the 5th busiest airport in the US.
Denver has the 5th highest concentration of Hispanics amongs major cities.
Denver has 6 billionaires in its metro.
Denver has the 12th highest concentration of fortune 500 companies.
Denver has the 2nd most government jobs outside of DC.
Denver has the 4th most IT jobs outside of Boston, The Bay and Seattle.
Denver is sort of a big thing. Definitely a top 15 city. Some would argue a top 12.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City