Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like better to live or visit?
San Diego 133 64.56%
Houston 73 35.44%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 12:48 AM

64 posts, read 154,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
Already stated. You seem to have comprehension and detail issues.
No you haven't and all I saw in those vids was people at restaurants that proves nothing, you have not given anything but your opinion, saying stuff like people shopping in wanna be ______ or people drinking at a pretend_______, its all opinion worldlyman show me one video of lively areas in Houston, you haven't and you wont because they don't exist

Old 07-09-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
You really show some things in the thinking department, don't you?

How old are you? Seventeen?

These "fortune 500 companies" and "foreign consulates" are part of a larger picture which keep Houston a major player...a player with such "lame" things like...REAL JOBS, better quality of life? This is "real life."

Better quality of life and economic growth (for better or worse) mean MORE and VARIED bars, cafes and other such "lame" hangouts. Things which Houston has a better and more varied quality and quantity of compared to tourist-centric and Navy-boy oriented Sun Deeeeagah.

I lived in San Diego four years...and saw the real place for what it is. Enjoy your "lame" checkpoints provided by the San Diego, Escondido, Chula Vista, El Cajon or whatever PD jurisdiction you happen to be going through. Hope you got your driving papers on you , comrade.
You really are delusional worldlyman how does this affect ones quality of life again? As in people like me and you?

Old 07-09-2012, 01:32 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdivide View Post
No you haven't and all I saw in those vids was people at restaurants that proves nothing, you have not given anything but your opinion, saying stuff like people shopping in wanna be ______ or people drinking at a pretend_______, its all opinion worldlyman show me one video of lively areas in Houston, you haven't and you wont because they don't exist
Houston doesn't have just one area where there is "liveliness". There probably aren't many people on the street because it's too Hot.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:37 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
You really show some things in the thinking department, don't you?

How old are you? Seventeen?

These "fortune 500 companies" and "foreign consulates" are part of a larger picture which keep Houston a major player...a player with such "lame" things like...REAL JOBS, better quality of life? This is "real life."

Better quality of life and economic growth (for better or worse) mean MORE and VARIED bars, cafes and other such "lame" hangouts. Things which Houston has a better and more varied quality and quantity of compared to tourist-centric and Navy-boy oriented Sun Deeeeagah.

I lived in San Diego four years...and saw the real place for what it is. Enjoy your "lame" checkpoints provided by the San Diego, Escondido, Chula Vista, El Cajon or whatever PD jurisdiction you happen to be going through. Hope you got your driving papers on you , comrade.
I am completely with you when it comes to Houston being a better place, but don't oversell it! Houston is a really great city (better then some people on this thread are suggesting), but making it out to be more then it is makes people feel like they have to put down Houston.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:51 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I am completely with you when it comes to Houston being a better place, but don't oversell it! Houston is a really great city (better then some people on this thread are suggesting), but making it out to be more then it is makes people feel like they have to put down Houston.
I put down Houston (and Dallas) because - as I wrote before - they actually represent what is wrong with flyover (conservative) America.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:56 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
How is SD misrepresented by me? Isn't the one poster who says San Diego is better than Houston, Phoenix, Cleveland, Dallas, etc. misrepresenting?
No, that's an opinion.
Quote:
Isn't the one poster (but even S.D. media have that delusion) who says San Diego is "America's Finest City" misrepresenting?
That's just a stupid slogan like "The Big Apple", people take that dumb marketing slogan way to seriously and over use it.
Quote:
I actually stated the truth how San Diego doesn't measure to Houston in REAL URBAN qualities, and I'm not talking about cute sidewalk storefronts that happen to have more people strolling them. That does not make one city more urban than the other.
Yes we know you have some obsession with sidewalks that use different materials, 80% of your posts comparing SD to Houston constantly mention that. But that doesn't mean that SD can't compete with Houston regarding "REAL URBAN" qualities even if they are not to your liking.
Quote:
Am I misrepresenting that there is a noticeable number of economically-challenged San Diego Filipino households all across Chula Vista and National City and Imperial Beach that cannot afford Lexuses and BMWs but must have them anyway? I lived with Filipinos like that. In Houston, at least our Filipinos tend to be more professional class. And the service class Filipinos that are here in H-town can at least afford many more things. Talk about "ghettos" which supposedly exist in Houston...but not San Diego?

See, all these San Diego boosters CONVENIENTLY ignore that the working class can afford decent houses in Houston. Their labor equivalents in San Diego live in quite filthy ranch home 'hoods. But these SD boosters talk about "ghettos." San Diego is so desirable that Houston is one of the leading two or three cities for new residents.
If you actually looked at what I quoted, I was referring to all this BS about Latinos being social outcasts and not interacting with whites, all that was an exaggeration.

Like I said San Diego faces many of the same problems as other large cities in the US but Houston does too and it actually worse in some cases. Nobody said SD didn't have ghettos. You act like Houston is so integrated when it faces issues of racial and income segregation as well and is statistically worse than SD in most cases.

The 22 Most Segregated Cities In America - Business Insider
In the 2000s, family income segregation grew greatly in nearly all U.S. metro areas | Stanford University School of Education
http://www.s4.brown.edu/us2010/Data/Report/report2.pdf

Many have recognized Houston having a better economy and better cost of living but you have continue to misrepresent San Diego's people.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:44 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What double standard? My point was your posts lack objectivity and come off as very arrogant.
I don't ask you how long you've lived here, where you went to school, or your motives. You have your opinions and I think they're wrong but I don't pull you aside asking you what your intentions are. You're being humble to the point of selling out, you give other places to much credit for what they cant compare to.
Quote:
What the hell are you talking about? So if someone prefers warmer water and the beaches of Florida how does that make them a liar?
Same people that say they prefer 4 seasons and subzero tundras. It's obviously a lie to diminish the quality beaches in California. Ok so the water is cold, people grow up the beaches are scenic and there's plenty to do in them without having to get in the water.

Try surfing in Florida.
Quote:
You really think if someone doesn't choose CA as their #1 preference for whatever that makes them a "liar"?
No, not preferring California is one thing but diminishing California's features is another.
Quote:
Just accept CA isn't the best at everything and not everyone shares your opinion of it, including myself.
Then why live here?
Quote:
I'm kind of wondering at this point if you're actually trying to make CA look bad with your over-the-top arrogance.
I love California, I bleed for the great bear flag republic. My only issue with California is that its in a country with the other 49. California's potential competition are countries like Brazil, Turkey, India, Canada, Australia, Germany, and France.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I don't ask you how long you've lived here, where you went to school, or your motives. You have your opinions and I think they're wrong but I don't pull you aside asking you what your intentions are. You're being humble to the point of selling out, you give other places to much credit for what they cant compare to.

Same people that say they prefer 4 seasons and subzero tundras. It's obviously a lie to diminish the quality beaches in California. Ok so the water is cold, people grow up the beaches are scenic and there's plenty to do in them without having to get in the water.

Try surfing in Florida.

No, not preferring California is one thing but diminishing California's features is another.

Then why live here?

I love California, I bleed for the great bear flag republic. My only issue with California is that its in a country with the other 49. California's potential competition are countries like Brazil, Turkey, India, Canada, Australia, Germany, and France.
Yeah I agree I'm getting the feeling he is playing good cop bad cop with his posts

Old 07-09-2012, 05:49 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,811,395 times
San Diego without hesitation for me, but Houston is clearly the higher tier city.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:19 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I never asked you where you went to school, so I don't know what the hell you're talking about. The reason I asked you how long you lived here is because you mentioned you were from Albany, NY so I thought it was ridiculous that someone not even from here originally would be such a homer. But there is something in the water in CA that tends to do that to transplants, especially in the Bay Area.

You simply just don't get it. Not everyone wants or thinks what CA has to offer is the best. Being able to admit other places strong suits is not selling out. Economically Houston is indeed a tier above SD, it may not have the climate and scenery but it's a much bigger city with a much more diverse and robust economy. Admitting that is not "selling out", it's called being objective. You seem to focus on artificial things a lot in this thread.
Quote:

Try surfing in Florida.
No one said there isn't stuff to do but some of us actually like getting in the water rather than walking along some cold, foggy (yet scenic) beach. I grew up going to the Northern CA coast ALL THE TIME and it was fun. But we also took a lot of trips to Hawaii. I much prefer warmer beaches that I can actually swim in at least part of the year, which is why I'll take the coast of SoCal over NorCal anyday. You have to be incredibily narrow minded and thick headed not to see that.

Trying swimming in the water in CA during winter or spring w/o a wetsuit and not getting hypothermia after 30 minutes. Also do you surf? Probably not so what the hell do you even care if the surf in FL isn't as good as CA. I don't surf so I don't care. BTW, people actually do surf in parts of FL too.

Some people do indeed prefer 4 seasons. When you look at the fall in some places you can see why. CA's weather can be too monotonous and boring for some people. The lack of rainfall can make things dry and dusty. I like Ca's climate but some more rain would be nice, wouldn't mind a thunderstorm or two every now and then, fall leaves/colors, some heat and warmth along our Northern CA coast, etc..

Funny thing is there are people in CA that prefer seasons; plenty of people prefer NorCal's weather over SoCal's because it's more seasonal and rains more. Then there are the Californian's that prefer the "frozen tundra" and seasons of the mountains here and love the snow. Ironic how you're pretty much trashing other Californian's preferences right now.
Quote:
You clearly don't get that not everyone shares your opinions and that doesn't mean they are diminishing CA. Sure some people like you on the opposite end of the spectrum do but many don't, they just don't think as highly of it as you. This seems to be one of the roots of your problem, you simply can't see any perspective aside form your own.
Quote:
Then why live here?
It's where I am from. I was born and raised here, all of my family is here, most of my friends I grew up with are here. It's HOME for me whether or not I think it's the greatest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City