Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like better to live or visit?
San Diego 133 64.56%
Houston 73 35.44%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 09:21 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,334,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Instigator View Post
Is that you SoCalBrad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR View Post
Yes, that's him.

LMAO. We missed you Bradley.
Who are you?

Old 08-19-2013, 09:47 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,623 times
Gotta go with San Diego. I am sorry, Houston has all the amenities of a big city, but I just find it to be so bland for it's size. For a city it's size it really is unimpressive. Doesn't mean it's a bad place to live in, just that it really lacks character. I find places like Ottawa Canada or Madison Wisconsin to be more colorful and with more character than Houston. Houston just feels like a big ol suburb that has a lot to do.

San Diego on the other hand, while no LA, Chicago, NYC, SF, etc. Has a lot more character and is more intersting. It's doesn't have world class amenities, but it has a lot more going and imo more interesting.

More world class amenities in my book does not equal more interesting or more things to do. Milan is more world class than Florence, but I think Florence is a lot more interesting. Toronto is more world class than Vancouver, but I think Vancouver is a lot more intereting and dynamic than Toronto.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:34 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
Comparing America's Finest City to the Armpit of America seems rather unfair, IMO.
San Diego is a tourist city.

Houston is a big business city.

Houston's GDP ranks as the 5th largest in the nation while San Diego's is much further down the list at 16th.

Houston is also more diverse than San Diego. Sure it may not have the weather or ocean going for it, but Houston is by far the superior city in terms of culture, COL, economy, & amenities.

Unemployment rates:

Houston - 6%

San Diego - 7%

Old 08-19-2013, 01:15 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Gotta go with San Diego. I am sorry, Houston has all the amenities of a big city, but I just find it to be so bland for it's size. For a city it's size it really is unimpressive. Doesn't mean it's a bad place to live in, just that it really lacks character. I find places like Ottawa Canada or Madison Wisconsin to be more colorful and with more character than Houston. Houston just feels like a big ol suburb that has a lot to do.
And just how much experience do you have with the core of Houston? Not to invalidate what you're saying, but many people who express similar opinions are those people who have little to no experience with Montrose, Houston Heights, Midtown, West U, Museum District, "The Wards", etc. There's plenty of character to be found in Houston, but it's not so easily apparent if you're spending the majority of your time in the Galleria or the suburbs.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:32 PM

507 posts, read 806,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
Who are you?
Don't worry who I am but I know who you are

Old 08-19-2013, 01:37 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
A certain troll who spends way too much time here, and incidentally takes the time to send me a nice reputation message (and even nicer message on my YouTube channel)...can be interesting:

Exactly what has Houston lost? We should not count CD polls and threads as real, relatively.

Simply put, WAY more people go flock to Houston than San Diego. Houston has grown the largest in the last 10 years. Houston must be doing a few things right. San Diego is not even in the top 20. "Cost of living." Sure seems like more people are heading out to the Los Angeles environs compared to San Diego...

Smart Planet, July 14, 2011

Houston named fastest-growing city in U.S.; here’s the top 25 | SmartPlanet
Lol! Somebody sent me the same thing telling me to vote for San Diego!

Old 08-19-2013, 01:42 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Comparing America's Finest City to the Armpit of America seems rather unfair, IMO.
Don't you live in like Phoenix? Lol.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:37 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
And just how much experience do you have with the core of Houston? Not to invalidate what you're saying, but many people who express similar opinions are those people who have little to no experience with Montrose, Houston Heights, Midtown, West U, Museum District, "The Wards", etc. There's plenty of character to be found in Houston, but it's not so easily apparent if you're spending the majority of your time in the Galleria or the suburbs.
I lived in the Heights and Montrose for about 16 years combined. Owned property in both areas. I spent lots of time in West U., Museum District, etc. I agree with him that, for its size, Houston lacks character.

Even so, its a big place with a lot of places to eat, drink and shop. There are city amenities, to be sure. The character and sense of place part is lacking, though. That's a tough hurdle and Houston hasn't gotten over it yet.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:54 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times
Quote:
Wow what a very original post. Can you please give more details on why Houston can't be compared to America's so called finest city?

Old 08-20-2013, 05:06 PM

542 posts, read 1,682,780 times
So many people are moving to San Diego that the whole city may just fall off into the Pacific Ocean from all the extra weight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City