Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best food city after NYC?
Los Angeles 46 22.44%
Chicago 53 25.85%
Washington DC 5 2.44%
San Francisco/Bay Area 26 12.68%
Dallas-Fort Worth 5 2.44%
Philadelphia 25 12.20%
Houston 18 8.78%
Atlanta 6 2.93%
Miami 7 3.41%
Boston 4 1.95%
Other 10 4.88%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 03:50 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post

People grow their own food in the Northeast as well. It's not solely a California thing. There are a box of grapes next to me that says "Product of New York" on them...
This is true, I have some inlaws that live near New Bedford and they are diehard 'local-vores'.... they pay an arm and a leg for it but it is available year round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 04:18 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
In the Valley, South LA and of course OC I guess this is true, but in my experience there are vastly more locally owned restaurants in LA than there are chains. Plus other than in SF, there are just as many of these exact same chains in places like San Leandro, Richmond, Oakland, etc.
Yes, downtown area, westside, the southern parts of SFV (north hollywood especially), east la, and a good chunk of the SGV are good, but that leaves out a large chunk of LA's population and area. I found the Bay Area to be consistently better overall with SF being especially great (which I think has to do with municipal restrictions on chains in general). A lot of parts of Oakland was actually pretty great. San Leandro I just kind of cruised through, but seamed about on par with better parts of the SGV. Didn't go to Richmond though--couldn't really see why I would.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:21 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,903,148 times
Los Angeles= Good mexican.

Chicago= Deep Dish Pizza/Hotdogs.

DC= Good Ethiopian food/soul food.

SF= Best Chinese food in the country/Seafood.

Dallas= Barbecue/tex-mex.

Philadelphia= Good Italian/Cheesesteaks.

Houston= Tex-mex/crawfish.

Atlanta= Hot wings.

Miami= world class caribbean food/Seafood

Boston= Clam chowder/Seafood

Every city has a specialty, what city is the best is subjective.

I like seafood and chinese so I choose San Francisco.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yes, downtown area, westside, the southern parts of SFV (north hollywood especially), east la, and a good chunk of the SGV are good, but that leaves out a large chunk of LA's population and area. I found the Bay Area to be consistently better overall with SF being especially great (which I think has to do with municipal restrictions on chains in general). A lot of parts of Oakland was actually pretty great. San Leandro I just kind of cruised through, but seamed about on par with some SGV areas. Didn't go to Richmond though--couldn't really see why I would.
What about Hollywood, Koreatown, Echo Park and the rest of central LA? Maybe you are referring to that as the Westside or East LA... While they have some chains (like all cities do) these places consist of almost all local restaurants. Even then, a lot of the chains (Carl's Jr, In and Out, Fatburger, etc) are homegrown.

I agree with the San Leandro/Castro Valley/SGV connection, suburban but still quite dense. Oakland has a lot of great restaurants, not trying to sell it short by any means, but there are large areas of it that are like South LA. LA and Oakland are eerily similar in a lot of ways.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
You ignored "year-round". It goes to availability. Which is greater here.
Shipping is everywhere though and NYC is a major port area. Also, there's a growing season for California as well, but it's about two months longer than New York's so that's good though it also relies heavily on water from elsewhere. I think maybe Hawaii is the only part of the US with longer growing seasons.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
What about Hollywood, Koreatown, Echo Park and the rest of central LA? Maybe you are referring to that as the Westside or East LA... While they have some chains (like all cities do) these places consist of almost all local restaurants. Even then, a lot of the chains (Carl's Jr, In and Out, Fatburger, etc) are homegrown.

I agree with the San Leandro/Castro Valley/SGV connection, suburban but still quite dense. Oakland has a lot of great restaurants, not trying to sell it short by any means, but there are large areas of it that are like South LA. LA and Oakland are eerily similar in a lot of ways.
Yes, I guess I mean to say the downtown area consisting of downtown and adjacent areas such as westlake, koreatown, hollywood, echo park, wilshire, mid-wilshire, mid-city (just recently went back and ate at chef merilyn's again), whatever you want to call it etc. i.e. all of central LA and its adjacent areas are good, as well as the previously mentioned parts of SFV, much of SGV, and the Westside. I think LA is a top contender and comes out on top in a lot of categories and is first, second, or third in the nation depending on how you weight different factors. That being said, a lot of LA outside those areas are saddening. My most recent trip (last week) included going to Long Beach and some of the surrounding areas. The little cambodia section was great, but what was incredibly sad was the slop they were selling near downtown Long Beach and the aquarium with a long run of unremarkable chains sitting right next to each.

Oakland is fairly diverse and what I've had in Oakland was fantastic. South LA actually does have some bright spots for food

Old 03-16-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yes, I guess I mean to say the downtown area consisting of downtown and adjacent areas such as westlake, koreatown, hollywood, echo park, wilshire, mid-wilshire, mid-city (just recently went back and ate at chef merilyn's again), whatever you want to call it etc. i.e. all of central LA and its adjacent areas are good, as well as the previously mentioned parts of SFV, much of SGV, and the Westside. I think LA is a top contender and comes out on top in a lot of categories and is first, second, or third in the nation depending on how you weight different factors. That being said, a lot of LA outside those areas are saddening. My most recent trip (last week) included going to Long Beach and some of the surrounding areas. The little cambodia section was great, but what was incredibly sad was the slop they were selling near downtown Long Beach and the aquarium with a long run of unremarkable chains sitting right next to each.

Oakland is fairly diverse and what I've had in Oakland was fantastic. South LA actually does have some bright spots for food
Speaking of South LA, I am pretty sure an ordinance was passed that made it so no new fast food chains can come into the area... I could be wrong though but this sounds very familiar to me. It would be really great for the area.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:22 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,802 times
So Chicago is #1 according to this thread. Seems right, considering that Alinea and other high end restaurants are there, while having great ethnic cuisines (Polish, Italian, Mexican, Indian, etc.)

Old 03-16-2012, 05:39 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
So Chicago is #1 according to this thread. Seems right, considering that Alinea and other high end restaurants are there, while having great ethnic cuisines (Polish, Italian, Mexican, Indian, etc.)
Chicago has great Mexican? Compared to NE cities, I guess. Also, it's Asian offerings are pretty weak. Being strong in Polish doesn't make up the difference.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:40 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Chicago has great Mexican? Compared to NE cities, I guess. Also, it's Asian offerings are pretty weak. Being strong in Polish doesn't make up the difference. The quality of its low end places must be suspect during this time of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City