Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Sports City
San Diego 0 0%
Los Angeles 15 17.05%
Bay Area 12 13.64%
Sacramento 1 1.14%
Portland 1 1.14%
Seattle 9 10.23%
Denver 38 43.18%
Phoenix 7 7.95%
Salt Lake City 1 1.14%
Other 4 4.55%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:00 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times

Advertisements

Denver. It's not really even close.

That city is sports crazy and with under 3 million people it's amazing how well they consistantly support their teams of not only the top four leagues, but also MLS, MLL and minor league hockey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 08:16 AM

117 posts, read 160,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Well, technically, the Arizona Cardinals and Phoenix Coyotes play in Glendale, Arizona not Phoenix. So no, the city of Phoenix does not have the big 4.
Absolutely idiotic arguement. By your logic the Dallas Cowboys should actuall be the Arlington Cowboys.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:01 AM

637 posts, read 1,014,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyspameamil View Post
Absolutely idiotic arguement. By your logic the Dallas Cowboys should actuall be the Arlington Cowboys.
If you guys have been paying attention to the thread instead of personally attacking me, it's in response to the whole "Bay Area shouldn't count as one" idea because each of the teams play in a different city despite being in the same media market.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:28 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,217,194 times
i think the only thing nuttier than putting rubio ahead of chris paul is stating that ryan howard is a better hitter than albert pujols

not sure what metric you are using for that.........

Howard is a power hitter and if you take away his first two seasons (one was a call up and the other he didn't play the full year) he has put up 44 HRs per year over the past 6 years ...... works out to be about 1 HR per every 13 ABs over that time

However, Pujols puts up 40 hrs per year on average for his 11 year career (works out to be 1 HR per every 14 ABs) and doesn't play in the shoebox that is CBP

So there is a slight - very slight - HR edge to Howard and that arguably could be explained by home stadium difference

From there the comparisons go way down hill

Pujols career BA .328 / Howard .275

Pujols career OPS 1.037 / Howard .928

Pujols career BB/PA .131 / Howard .122

Pujols career BB/K 1.39 / Howard .45

In 1,027 games played and 3,794 ABs Howard has struck out 1,207 times

In 1,705 games played and 6,315 ABs Pujols has struck out 704 times

Howard has a nice bat - but he isn't close to Pujols as a hitter

Old 03-29-2012, 10:44 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,991 times
Quote:
If you guys have been paying attention to the thread instead of personally attacking me, it's in response to the whole "Bay Area shouldn't count as one" idea because each of the teams play in a different city despite being in the same media market.
It's your own fault for not titling the thread "Best sports media market in the West". Instead you said city, and every option is a city except for the Bay Area, which has three cities with their own teams and sports identities, to an extent at least - with some crossover, of course. Surely you can see why some have protested.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
It's your own fault for not titling the thread "Best sports media market in the West". Instead you said city, and every option is a city except for the Bay Area, which has three cities with their own teams and sports identities, to an extent at least - with some crossover, of course. Surely you can see why some have protested.
I actually only see 2 people protesting it, and I actually agree with you, but the Bay Area posters wouldn't. So in their interest, I don't want to cause a protracted flame war over something ancillary to the topic at hand.

And ADMIT or DENY that Glendale, AZ is not Phoenix, AZ, since at least half of pro teams in that region are in Glendale, AZ.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:30 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,217,194 times
no - glendale is phoenix

tempe is phoenix

scottsdale is scottsdale - but it's still phoenix

chandler is phoenix

mesa is phoenix

peoria is phoenix

It's all phoenix .... not a matter of media market, but it's the same metro area

I work in phoenix but frequently have lunch in glendale (and live in a different city altogether) ..... it's all phoenix though

Oakland & SF are a little bit like that (a little more difficult because they do have a physical barrier between them, where in phoenix you can just walk down the street and the only thing that changes is the sign/mailing address) .... but SJ isn't

SJ would be like phoenix & casa grande, if casa grande had anything going for it

not part of the city, but still part of the metro area

although you can't ignore all the development on the bay, the dotting on the cities on the bay and how they are all very tied to each other

Old 03-29-2012, 11:35 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
you forgot one:
the los angeles rams won the 1951 nfl championship, which was the only one of their three titles that was captured while the team was based in LA.
If you were to extend out to revenue-generating college sports, USC football and UCLA hoops have 11 each.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:35 AM

171 posts, read 325,359 times
Quote:
I actually only see 2 people protesting it, and I actually agree with you, but the Bay Area posters wouldn't. So in their interest, I don't want to cause a protracted flame war over something ancillary to the topic at hand.

And ADMIT or DENY that Glendale, AZ is not Phoenix, AZ, since at least half of pro teams in that region are in Glendale, AZ.

Make that 3

Old 03-29-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
no - glendale is phoenix

tempe is phoenix

scottsdale is scottsdale - but it's still phoenix

chandler is phoenix

mesa is phoenix

peoria is phoenix

It's all phoenix .... not a matter of media market, but it's the same metro area

I work in phoenix but frequently have lunch in glendale (and live in a different city altogether) ..... it's all phoenix though

Oakland & SF are a little bit like that (a little more difficult because they do have a physical barrier between them, where in phoenix you can just walk down the street and the only thing that changes is the sign/mailing address) .... but SJ isn't

SJ would be like phoenix & casa grande, if casa grande had anything going for it

not part of the city, but still part of the metro area

although you can't ignore all the development on the bay, the dotting on the cities on the bay and how they are all very tied to each other
Bottom line is that there is a sentiment amongst some of the posters that the Bay Area media market shouldn't count as one because some of the sports teams are located in different municipalities, while also claiming that the city of Phoenix has all 4 teams.

Technically that isn't true. I hear what you're saying though, I'm just pointing out how the same logic could be used on other cities/metro areas and shows a lack of creativity IMO.

East Rutherford, New Jersey isn't New York City. Hell, its a totally different state than New York City, but that doesn't stop it from hosting the Giants and Jets. Santa Clara, California, which is right next to San Jose, is where the new 49er stadium is gonna be built, but they're keeping the 49er name.

Technicalities are overlooked in the real world, but they still exist, whether we like it or not.

Quote:
Make that 3
Articulate it, and I'm sure this will turn into 200 pages of questioning whether or not the Bay Area is a real metro area. I think we are all sick of that already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City