Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 08:17 AM

9,855 posts, read 6,570,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BLT View Post
Both of Curry's parents are black, and his four grandparents are black.
Curry’s parents are also mixed race. Further proves my point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2024, 08:54 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,481,561 times
There are five main regions in the US that are overwhelmingly American Born white:

1) New England outside the Boston and Hartford/Springfield Areas Area
2) Appalachia
3) The Northern Plains
4) The Mountain West outside parts of the Denver Area
5) The PNW outside the Seattle Area

It also depends on what kind of white were talking about. WASP? German?

Old 01-05-2024, 08:56 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Curry’s parents are also mixed race. Further proves my point
Just about all African-Americans, Foundational Black Americans, are “mixed race.”

The genetics, genotypes, and phenotypes of this beautiful ethnic group manifest in a variety of wondrous ways.

Old 01-05-2024, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent_of_old View Post
this is not random
please do not flame here nor give me a list of criticisms
i am a long time poster here and i am looking for real answers/understandings/experiences

i am looking for cities that have (all) 4 things

1-hardly any black people (85+% white? just guessing)

2-upper middle class living and/or values are the majority (i.e. philly is working class)

3-is tolerant of, doesnt think anything of, or embraces interracial couples

4-a city where people act as if they get their needs met, or tend to repor a high quality of life. (i.e. rochester ny or philly are perfect examples of he opposite. people are threatened by the idea of someone other than them succeeding in ANYTHING)

i would expect said cities to be clean and probably smaller, and fewer of them on the east coast. we'll see
thats all
thanks so much
*Capital…

Old 01-05-2024, 08:59 AM

69 posts, read 44,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
It also depends on what kind of white were talking about. WASP? German?
"White" means "of European descent", as this is how modern society views Whiteness. WASP and Germans are both White

Old 01-05-2024, 09:00 AM

9,855 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Just about all African-Americans, Foundational Black Americans, are “mixed race.”

The genetics, genotypes, and phenotypes of this beautiful ethnic group manifest in a variety of wondrous ways.
I agree. What I’m saying is that America standards are that mixed race is black rather than white (even though characteristics of both are shown). I’m not saying this is a good or bad thing, just that this is the standard.

Old 01-05-2024, 09:07 AM

69 posts, read 44,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
To be a capital you have to be a place with a large population base, that also influences the country at large. Some place like Boise or Salt Lake are very white but can't be viewed as "capitals"...
True, Boise and Salt Lake City make no sense, they're too small and not influential. The only true White capitals that come to mind due to their sheer size and cultural influence are Portland, Seattle, and Denver. Seattle is interesting because it's quickly losing this status as it diversifies at a rapid pace, whereas Portland and Denver are getting Whiter every census.

Old 01-05-2024, 09:46 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,860,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshadow914 View Post
True, Boise and Salt Lake City make no sense, they're too small and not influential. The only true White capitals that come to mind due to their sheer size and cultural influence are Portland, Seattle, and Denver. Seattle is interesting because it's quickly losing this status as it diversifies at a rapid pace, whereas Portland and Denver are getting Whiter every census.
This is true for Denver, but not Portland, which diversified at roughly the same rate as Seattle between 2010 and 2020.

Old 01-05-2024, 10:03 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,481,561 times
If Im thinking of what a "white capital" is, Im thinking also about where does white culture dominate? What city's cultural exports cater mostly to the white community? Boston, Austin, Denver, and Portland are the ones that leap to mind. Demographically, Austin isn't all that white compared to other major cities and Boston is very ethnically diverse, but those are the places whose cultural exports are almost all tailored to white people.

Old 01-05-2024, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I agree. What I’m saying is that America standards are that mixed race is black rather than white (even though characteristics of both are shown). I’m not saying this is a good or bad thing, just that this is the standard.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front...d/onedrop.html

It should now be apparent that the definition of a black person as one with any trace at all of black African ancestry is inextricably woven into the history of the United States. It incorporates beliefs once used to justify slavery and later used to buttress the castelike Jim Crow system of segregation. Developed in the South, the definition of "Negro" (now black) spread and became the nation's social and legal definition. Because [b]lacks are defined according to the one-drop rule, they are a socially constructed category in which there is wide variation in racial traits and therefore not a race group in the scientific sense. However, because that category has a definite status position in the society it has become a self-conscious social group with an ethnic identity.

We must first distinguish racial traits from cultural traits, since they are so often confused with each other. As defined in physical anthropology and biology, races are categories of human beings based on average differences in physical traits that are transmitted by the genes not by blood. Culture is a shared pattern of behavior and beliefs that are learned and transmitted through social communication. An ethnic group is a group with a sense of cultural identity, such as Czech or Jewish Americans, but it may also be a racially distinctive group. A group that is racially distinctive in society may be an ethnic group as well, but not necessarily. Although racially mixed, most blacks in the United States are physically distinguishable from whites, but they are also an ethnic group because of the distinctive culture they have developed within the general American framework.

Why Biracial Means Black
https://www.theroot.com/why-biracial...ack-1790881968
https://www.npr.org/2010/12/17/13213...al-means-black

We must also pay attention to the terms "mulatto" and "colored." The term "mulatto" was originally used to mean the offspring of a "pure African Negro" and a "pure white." Although the root meaning of mulatto, in Spanish, is "hybrid," "mulatto" came to include the children of unions between whites and so-called "mixed Negroes." For example, Booker T. Washington and Frederick Douglass, with slave mothers and white fathers, were referred to as mulattoes. To whatever extent their mothers were part white, these men were more than half white. Douglass was evidently part Indian as well, and he looked it. Washington had reddish hair and gray eyes. At the time of the American Revolution, many of the founding fathers had some very light slaves, including some who appeared to be white. The term "colored" seemed for a time to refer only to mulattoes, especially lighter ones, but later it became a euphemism for darker Negroes, even including unmixed blacks. With widespread racial mixture, "Negro" came to mean any slave or descendant of a slave, no matter how much mixed. Eventually in the United States, the terms mulatto, colored, Negro, black, and African American all came to mean people with any known black African ancestry. Mulattoes are racially mixed, to whatever degree, while the terms black, Negro, African American, and colored include both mulattoes and unmixed blacks. As we shall see, these terms have quite different meanings in other countries.

Whites in the United States need some help envisioning the American black experience with ancestral fractions. At the beginning of miscegenation between two populations presumed to be racially pure, quadroons appear in the second generation of continuing mixing with whites, and octoroons in the third. A quadroon is one-fourth African black and thus easily classed as black in the United States, yet three of this person's four grandparents are white. An octoroon has seven white great-grandparents out of eight and usually looks white or almost so. Most parents of black American children in recent decades have themselves been racially mixed, but often the fractions get complicated because the earlier details of the mixing were obscured generations ago. Like so many white Americans, black people are forced to speculate about some of the fractions-- one-eighth this, three-sixteenths that, and so on...

Last edited by aries4118; 01-05-2024 at 11:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City