Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2023, 09:35 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,003,499 times

Advertisements

Any place that is still 85% white in america won’t be that way for long. If a place is too white then people of color will be sent there, whether it is through government incentives or whether it is a local church or something trying to get refugees there. Go to Minnesota. Somalis everywhere. Etc.

If you really want to live around white people just move to Europe. America is not a white country anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2023, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
As someone born and raised in Nashville, I'm really offended by this post. It's more integrated than most cities in this country and is home to four legacy HBCUs. It's important to go outside and touch grass.
The south is far more integrated than the north in general. Anybody answering a southern city to this answer is nuts. There is no southern city that is even more than 70% white unless it’s in like Appalachia.

Old 10-23-2023, 11:43 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
As someone born and raised in Nashville, I'm really offended by this post. It's more integrated than most cities in this country and is home to four legacy HBCUs. It's important to go outside and touch grass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
The south is far more integrated than the north in general. Anybody answering a southern city to this answer is nuts. There is no southern city that is even more than 70% white unless it’s in like Appalachia.
Reading comprehension really isn't a thing anymore, is it? This is what I said:

Capital of White America =/= overwhelmingly white demographics

Why is this so hard to understand? I've never said anything about non-white people not being in Nashville. I said that Nashville is the undisputed capital of country music, and country music, probably more than any other type of music, is associated with white people. Ergo, white people nationwide would have a greater affinity for Nashville based on its association with country music than they might have for other cities that are not so clearly associated with something that many of them really like.

Old 10-23-2023, 11:55 AM

Sure, that makes sense. I wasn’t trying to single anybody out either, just a general observation.

Old 10-23-2023, 02:27 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,396,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
This. It's tough to call any major city the "white capitol" (sic) because major cities are pretty much all fairly diverse, even when they are in otherwise non-diverse regions.

However, looking at regions, New England, the Pacific Northwest, and the Midwest are jarringly white compared to the south and southwest. Overall I have a really hard time seeing a city in one of the latter two regions being the answer to this question.

Honestly something I think the northerners on here struggle with is that they have internally normalized the very segregated black inner city, white suburbs and rural areas pattern that exists in the north. Then they go to places in the south where society is more integrated everywhere and they are surprised by seeing white people in the city core. Nevermind that the overall region is actually much less white than you see in the north...

Last edited by whereiend; 10-23-2023 at 03:14 PM..

Old 10-23-2023, 02:48 PM

8,857 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Capital, not capitol. This is about the city, not one building.

Old 10-23-2023, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
This. It's tough to call any major city the "white capitol" (sic) because major cities are pretty much all fairly diverse, even when they are in otherwise non-diverse regions.

However, looking at regions, New England, the Pacific Northwest, and the Midwest are jarringly white compared to the south and southwest. Overall I have a really hard time seeing a city in one of the latter two regions being the answer to this question.

Honestly something I think the northerners on here struggle with is that they have internally normalized the very segregated black inner city, white suburbs and rural areas pattern that exists in the north. Then they go to places in the south where society is more integrated everywhere and they are surprised by seeing white people in the city core. Nevermind that the overall region is actually much less white than you see in the north...
Well said

Old 10-23-2023, 03:40 PM

1,348 posts, read 879,604 times
To me a white capital would be a city that appeals to white people more than the average city regardless of whether the city is mostly white or not. I think of Phoenix, Nashville, Denver, and maybe Tampa or Orlando.

Old 10-25-2023, 08:42 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,578,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
To me a white capital would be a city that appeals to white people more than the average city regardless of whether the city is mostly white or not. I think of Phoenix, Nashville, Denver, and maybe Tampa or Orlando.
Not sure I understand what you are saying. Why would these cities be more or less appealing to any particular "racial" group?

Old 10-30-2023, 02:45 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,475,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Oobanks, the point that I believe Borntoolate85 is trying to make, and the one that I tried to make upthread, is not that Nashville is a demographically lily-white city. But rather, it stands as a symbol of a lifestyle that is especially appealing to a sizable segment of white people. It is the answer (or, at least, one of the main answers) to the following two questions. (1) What do white people like? (2) What place is most closely associated with these things? Country music, the Bible Belt, and MAGA-ism is widely associated with white people, and these things are widely associated with Nashville. (And yes, I'm aware that Davidson County went Blue. But the overall metro area is Red, and besides, I'm talking perception.)

Earlier on, I stated my opinion that Nashville is the capital of white America. Or, at the very least, it is in strong contention for that title. I stand by that opinion, for the reasons stated -- and regardless of the fact that white people hold only a fairly slim majority within the actual City of Nashville itself.

Wow!!! One thing i do know, MAGA-ism as you call it isn't very popular here in the city of Nashville...Maybe further out in outlaying Tennessee that may be true... They didn't even want the republican convention here because of all the drama... Nashville is way more progressive, integrated and different than your perception or you may think, but i get your thought process. It may be the capital of Country Music but not the capital of White America..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City