Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 06:58 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,323 times

Advertisements

CSAs are a minimum measurement of 15% commuter rating from one core community of one metro to another core community of another. 15% is a pretty significant number and does indicate a strong interaction between two MSAs. Many of the CSAs will see commuter rates just below the 25% rate. Like Omaha-Fremont was almost 23% in 2000. It now sits at 31% and Fremont will be a part of the Omaha MSA in 2013 which should put the Omaha-Council Bluffs-Fremont MSA between 922,000 to 927,000 next year. It may not be as strong as an MSA but it is signficant none of the less.

Here's an interesting note:

Omaha MSA is now the 58th largest, but had the 45th largest numerical gain.
Lincoln MSA is now the 154th largest, but had the 98th largest numerical gain.
Combined would be 47th largest with the 39th largest numerical gain. This will be, in fact, a single msa at some point. less than twenty-five miles of empty space with almost all of Omaha's growth aiming right at lincoln. I'm guessing in the next ten to twenty years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 10:45 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,055,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
True Some of those places are adding tons of people with terrible economies. Some of those places with economies that's better than the national average is not gaining much or even losing people(Cleveland). Not sure how that is even possible. Vegas dropped off the cliff though.
No one said people were smart. A lot of people doing this move have zero jobs lined up.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:20 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,511,556 times
I'm not really convinced at these numbers either. I'm in Atlanta, so I know what kind of situation we're in job wise. I refuse to believe that we had 90k people move here last year. Also refuse to believe that they counted us correctly during the census. You don't incorrectly count 120k people. That sounds ridiculous.

Miami is worse off than Atlanta and some how it managed to gain more people? I would like to know where all these newbies found their jobs at. I have two family members with MBA's and don't have jobs in metro Atlanta.

I don't doubt that Houston or Dallas grew faster than anywhere else, they are in the state with the healthiest economy. Even still, Texas ain't doing that well to be relocating that many people. The only metropolitan area that isn't standing on precarious ground is Washington D.C.

Before Atlanta adds one more person, we need to come together and pass this transportation initiative. My honest guess is that Atlanta is right around 5.5 million. We're not going to be able to drive if we hit 6 million and in the same transportation debacle.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:31 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,511,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlady Z View Post
Census Estimates Show New Patterns of Growth Nationwide

The 10 Metro Areas with the Largest Numeric Increase from April 1, 2010, to July 1, 2011

1. Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, Texas: 154,774
2. Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, Texas: 139,699
3. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, D.C.-Va.-Md.-W.Va: 121,911
4. New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, N.Y.-N.J.-Pa: 118,791
5. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, Calif: 115,964
6. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, Fla: 105,490
7. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, Ga: 90,345
8. Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, Calif: 80,146
9. Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale, Ariz: 70,349
10. Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos, Texas: 67,230

The press release didn't release much else, hence the absence of large metros such as Philadelphia, Boston, or San Francisco. The Census Bureau will release all of the 2011 data including city population, county population, and demographics in the coming months (Probably July?).
2011 Population Estimates Show Gains in South, West

Here is the county population map. You can click on each individual county and get the population.

Gwinnett County added the most people in metro Atlanta. Gwinnett is sealing it's own fate. If that county hits a million people it's going to be over. They couldn't even manage the county by the time it hit 700k in 2005. A million? I-85 can't handle all that.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:38 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
I always laugh at these outright dismissals of CSAs as if they are intended to inflate some cities and demote others. lol

Its as if 2 MSAs accidentally happen to be next to each other and just by happenstance send 1 in 7 workers to each other coincidentally snarling traffic, and that just happens to mean billions of dollars in earned income in some cases, and they happen to share a media market, they happen to share a sense of regionalism, but really all of that shouldnt really count for anything because its all an unrelated coincidence.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:44 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,511,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
It's pretty clear that you don't, so is there a need to comment? Does every single forum have to be a place for you to air your grievances about Chicago...?
your comments arent needed ive talked to Chicagoans on a cruise and they called it Crook County.
Need i say more?

Old 04-07-2012, 12:44 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty
I'm not really convinced at these numbers either. I'm in Atlanta, so I know what kind of situation we're in job wise. I refuse to believe that we had 90k people move here last year. Also refuse to believe that they counted us correctly during the census. You don't incorrectly count 120k people. That sounds ridiculous.

Miami is worse off than Atlanta and some how it managed to gain more people? I would like to know where all these newbies found their jobs at. I have two family members with MBA's and don't have jobs in metro Atlanta.

I don't doubt that Houston or Dallas grew faster than anywhere else, they are in the state with the healthiest economy. Even still, Texas ain't doing that well to be relocating that many people. The only metropolitan area that isn't standing on precarious ground is Washington D.C.

Before Atlanta adds one more person, we need to come together and pass this transportation initiative. My honest guess is that Atlanta is right around 5.5 million. We're not going to be able to drive if we hit 6 million and in the same transportation debacle.

The Census Bureau MUST KNOW by now that their estimates tend to be wayyyy off from actual census numbers so why do they continue to release these exaggerated interim estimates? They need to do us all a favor and stop.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:55 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The Census Bureau MUST KNOW by now that their estimates tend to be wayyyy off from actual census numbers so why do they continue to release these exaggerated interim estimates? They need to do us all a favor and stop.
I thought they had said for stability purposes they were only going to release updates every 5 years?being off by tens of thousands isn't all that but metros like ATL and DFW were off by 200k-300k plus.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:59 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
2) CSAs are an incredibly poor way of measuring a metropolitan area. MSAs are better, urbanised areas the best (although, as I've stated before, I think that 1,000 people per square mile isn't necessarily "urban" and thus misleading).
I tend to disagree, as all metropolitan regions are not built the same. CSAs are particularly useful for regions that have more than one primary city.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:00 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I thought they had said for stability purposes they were only going to release updates every 5 years?being off by tens of thousands isn't all that but metros like ATL and DFW were off by 200k-300k plus.
I didnt look at the numbers for ATL, but for whatever reason the overestimations for DFW were entirely from its white residents. The Asian, Hispanic, and (especially) the black populations of DFW were underestimated:

US2010
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City