Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Capital of Hispanic America?
Dallas 4 1.70%
Denver 4 1.70%
Houston 16 6.81%
LA 109 46.38%
Miami 115 48.94%
San Antonio 25 10.64%
San Diego 10 4.26%
Other 18 7.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 03:48 PM

68 posts, read 163,871 times

Advertisements

I think L.A. wins this. L.A. is right north of Mexico and Latin America.

As for NYC being the capital of White America, give me a break. NYC is extremely ethnically and racially diverse.

Boston or Portland might be contenders for White America's capital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 06:29 PM

248 posts, read 288,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiIj View Post
I think L.A. wins this. L.A. is right north of Mexico and Latin America.

As for NYC being the capital of White America, give me a break. NYC is extremely ethnically and racially diverse.

Boston or Portland might be contenders for White America's capital.
New York has many groups including Jews, Puertoricans, Poles, Greeks, Koreans that are grossly overepresented here compared to the rest of the country which makes it a great place to live but poor representation of ethnic break up of the country.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
I agree but that makes no sense because it's a double-edged sword. You either overepresent the largest group (LA) or you overepresent one of the smallest groups (NYC). If you want to go by that logic than go by that logic for ALL groups and cities. You just can't choose to be precise on the largest group with LA and then be way linient on the smaller ones with NYC/Miami.

1.39 is closer to 1.06 than 30. Do you disagree? That's Los Angeles percentage of Puerto Ricans versus New York's.

1.39 is closer to 3.05 than 50. Do you agree? That's Los Angeles percentage of Cubans versus Miami's.

I don't know what the Dominican population is but I'm sure it's less than 1% which is closer to 2.69 than 25. Do You agree? That's Los Angeles percentage of Dominicans versus New York's.

You're confusing the numbers.

1.39% and 3.05% are the numbers for Cubans as a percentage of the total population. 50% is the percentage of Cubans out of the Hispanic population. The same holds true for Puerto Ricans in NYC.

NYC is something like 9% Puerto Rican, and 29% Hispanic, so Puerto Ricans make up roughly 30% of the total Hispanic population, but only 10% of the total population.

Miami is something like 34% Cuban, and 70% Hispanic, so Cubans make up roughly half of the total Hispanic population, but only 1/3 of the total population.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:42 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,789,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
You're confusing the numbers.

1.39% and 3.05% are the numbers for Cubans as a percentage of the total population. 50% is the percentage of Cubans out of the Hispanic population. The same holds true for Puerto Ricans in NYC.

NYC is something like 9% Puerto Rican, and 29% Hispanic, so Puerto Ricans make up roughly 30% of the total Hispanic population, but only 10% of the total population.

Miami is something like 34% Cuban, and 70% Hispanic, so Cubans make up roughly half of the total Hispanic population, but only 1/3 of the total population.
No your misunderstanding me. BajanYankee and I are comparing the percentage of a city's population (out of hispanics) to the total population of Hispanic America (the Spanish speaking Americas). 1.39% is the percentage of Cubans out of the total Hispanic population in Los Angeles. The Cuban percentage of the total population in Los Angeles is 0.4%. Same with Puerto Ricans.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:54 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,044,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristann View Post
Puertoricans do not speak Spanish. Its more of a slang not easily understandable in the rest of Latin America. Also true for Cubans. Its like Jamaican English to Americans.

Again. NYC is not typical as Puertoricans are a majority here. Its not Miami with Puertorican and Cuban majority which in general US Hispanic population are far from that.

What does diversity has to do with anything? Just think, should the capital of Black America be Atlanta or Miami just because the latter has more Black diversity with huge Haitian and Black Brasilian populations?

Again since Mexucans clearly dominate Hispanic culture in the US (and on the continent) Hispanic capitol should be a city reflecting that situation: LA, San Antonio or some other city in Texas or Arizona.

If you would think of Hispanic capitol in general it would be Mexico City and not Havana or San Juan - as a matter of fact both cities are marginal to Hispanic culture.
Haha and you think Mexican's speak better spanish? I can't understand that crap they speak. Give me a break. Mexicans are not felt on the east coast, so why the hell should LA have any relevance in terms of Hispanic culture to someone living in NYC?

'orale guey quieres ver un karnalllll" LMAO

"ahorita me voy a juntar con mi viejaaaa"

Old 04-21-2012, 11:49 AM

248 posts, read 288,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Haha and you think Mexican's speak better spanish? I can't understand that crap they speak. Give me a break. Mexicans are not felt on the east coast, so why the hell should LA have any relevance in terms of Hispanic culture to someone living in NYC?

'orale guey quieres ver un karnalllll" LMAO

"ahorita me voy a juntar con mi viejaaaa"
Lol. Mexicans are felt all over Latin America: the largest country, the largest economy and cuture influencing all of the continent not just the East East. You watch Telemundo, dont you?

Old 04-21-2012, 12:02 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
because when people say white America they mean WASPs they don't think of "Ethnic Whites" as whites. There are around 2,000,000 ethnic whites in NYC (Jews, Italians, Irish, Russians, Greek, Polish, Albanians, Arabs ext.). (for that matter they also don't think of hipsters, yuppis and other such groups)
You missed the joke. But I'll indulge you.

About all of the ethnic groups you listed are considered "white" at this point in American history by most people. Arabs aren't and Albanians might not be--but the Irish, Russians, Greeks, Polish, and Italians have all moved up to "white " status in American culture. My point--and it was more a satire of CityData than anything else--is that New York has the largest(population wise) and one of the most, if not the most diverse "white" population by ethnicity of any city in the United States. When it comes to Latin Americans or Asians on here, it's always brought up that New York has the most in raw numbers of these ethnic groupings(as it should, it's by far the largest city in the US). As far as New York vs. a place like Portland or Seattle or Boston for the title of "White America", there's more people of English, Irish, German, and other Northern European descent in New York City than there are total people in Portland or Seattle or Boston. So it's the same argument as the rest of the "What's the most Asian/Hispanic threads".

As far as what the real capital of "Hispanic America" or "White America"--I don't believe there really is one place that stands above all others. This country has one capital--Washington DC. But it's not as if whites or Hispanics are somehow so unified in thought or culture that you one city you can identify as the capital. A Mexican living in the border region of Texas doesn't have much in common with a Puerto Rican living in the Bronx or a middle class Cuban Republican living in a South Florida Suburb. Just like a white southerner in South Carolina has little in common with an Italian guy in New York or a guy who loves hockey living outside the Twin Cities.

New York has the largest and most diverse Hispanic population in some ways, Miami is a media/cultural mecca and is the most Hispanic-dominated city and the closest to most of Latin America, while LA could be a contender for the capital of Mex-America(the largest Hispanic ethnic group)--but you can argue all day in night and not get anywhere about what's the sole #1 "Capital of Hispanic America"...

Old 04-21-2012, 07:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
No your misunderstanding me. BajanYankee and I are comparing the percentage of a city's population (out of hispanics) to the total population of Hispanic America (the Spanish speaking Americas). 1.39% is the percentage of Cubans out of the total Hispanic population in Los Angeles. The Cuban percentage of the total population in Los Angeles is 0.4%. Same with Puerto Ricans.
So where does 3.05% come into play? Is that the Cuban population (out of total Hispanics) of the U.S. overall, because it seems awfully small.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:13 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,789,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
So where does 3.05% come into play? Is that the Cuban population (out of total Hispanics) of the U.S. overall, because it seems awfully small.
It's the Cuban population of Hispanic America (Spanish speaking Americas).

Old 04-23-2012, 01:39 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,201,654 times
My guess would be Miami.

But the top Hispanic Influenced cities would be

Miami
Chicago
Phoenix
L.A.
Dallas
Orlando
Houston
San Antonio
San Diego
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City