Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is more influenced by Mexicans and other Hispanics?
California 81 38.76%
Texas 128 61.24%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 11:16 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Voter turnout is generally weak in Texas, especially among the Hispanic population. Also many of the congressional districts have been excessively gerrymandered to reduce any influence of groups who might be voting strongly towards the Democratic Party.
Yeah demographically it should already be a blue state, women, Blacks, Latinos, Asians, and the younger population go for the D by a longshot (70% nationwide) and all of those groups TX has a rich quantity of. Looking at the politics map, the number of registered voters in TX is very low for a state of its size, meaning most folks just dont even go out and vote.

Female 12,933,519

Hispanics
TX 9,791,628

Black/AA
TX 3,223,055

Asian
TX 1,155,009

Other race
TX 1,935,347

Age 1-24
TX 7,24,860

TX should have gone blue in 2008 with these numbers, 60% of your states population fits the profile of a Democrat voter... are they doing anything to get more folks to go and vote?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 09:39 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
When comparing my life in Houston vs my life in Southern Cal, I can say that SoCal has a lot more Mexican influence in general. Even non-Mexicans are quite familiar with Mexican culture, even the upper middle class white kids like myself. In Houston I don't see that as much. One major difference between Houston and LA is that even though both cities are equally diverse, Houston is certainly much more segregated than LA. Houston probably has more in common with Atlanta than El Paso.
However, the Mexican influence is not as strong in NorCal, while even places as far north as Dallas have a fair amount of Chicano influence. As well, most restaurants in Texas have at least a few Mexican dishes, even if the place is not exclusive that cuisine. You don't see that as much in California.
That might be becuase the Black influence and Southern influence in Houston supercedes the Mexican influence in some parts of Houston, whereas there's not many places in LA where the Mexican influence is superceded.

Last edited by polo89; 02-02-2013 at 11:01 AM..

Old 02-02-2013, 09:56 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
I feel also like there are two types of Hispanic cities:

1) Historically and culturally Hispanic
2) Cities that have very few cultural ties to Latin American countries, but managed to conjure up huge Hispanic communities

I feel like good examples of category number one would be Los Angeles, El Paso, and San Antonio. These cities all have historical and cultural ties to Mexico. These cities have many Hispanics that have been there for generations. The Hispanic influence has been there for just as long.

The best examples of number category number two are Dallas and Chicago. Despite being in Texas, Dallas doesnt have much of a history with Mexico and Chicago has even less of one. Both were white/black cities. Yet, in the last 25 years or so, they have become two of the largest centers of Latin American immigration in the US.

Im not sure where Houston and San Francisco would belong.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:59 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post

2) Cities that have very few cultural ties to Latin American countries, but managed to conjure up huge Hispanic communities

I feel like good examples of category number one would be Los Angeles, El Paso, and San Antonio. These cities all have historical and cultural ties to Mexico. These cities have many Hispanics that have been there for generations. The Hispanic influence has been there for just as long.

The best examples of number category number two are Dallas and Chicago. Despite being in Texas, Dallas doesnt have much of a history with Mexico and Chicago has even less of one. Both were white/black cities. Yet, in the last 25 years or so, they have become two of the largest centers of Latin American immigration in the US.

Houston is in the same category as Dallas, obviously.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:00 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post

Yep. I'd put Houston in the Chicago/Dallas territory.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:29 PM

85 posts, read 160,721 times
California

Old 04-17-2014, 09:18 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
However, the Mexican influence is not as strong in NorCal, while even places as far north as Dallas have a fair amount of Chicano influence. As well, most restaurants in Texas have at least a few Mexican dishes, even if the place is not exclusive that cuisine. You don't see that as much in California.
I'd say that the Metroplex and the San Francisco Bay Area have equivalent Hispanic influence.

As for this thread, splitting hairs. You can make an argument for either.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:12 PM

515 posts, read 1,058,720 times
I would say Texas. Texas had a more sizable mexican popluation when it was annexed by the states and had an established identity and culture..Tejano culture. While California was sparsely populated with the Mexican government having minimal presence until Mexican immigrants began to pour in later. But Mexican influence is part of the overall Texas idenity..it is the major area where many Mexican traditions and language borrowings entered into the American culture from Cowboys to Tex Mex cuisine.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:46 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior6 View Post
I would say Texas. Texas had a more sizable mexican popluation when it was annexed by the states and had an established identity and culture..Tejano culture. While California was sparsely populated with the Mexican government having minimal presence until Mexican immigrants began to pour in later. But Mexican influence is part of the overall Texas idenity..it is the major area where many Mexican traditions and language borrowings entered into the American culture from Cowboys to Tex Mex cuisine.
Texas seems to have been lightly populated until American settlers poured into the 1830s though. Not to mention that immigration from Mexico seems to have really started in both states in the early-mid 20th century.

Not to mention that California has 14 million Hispanics while Texas has 10 million. That should be taken to account as well.

Sheer numbers + percentage of the population made me lean more toward California.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:10 PM

592 posts, read 827,882 times
very interesting question. I grew up in California but lived in Houston for 6 months for work. I really can't say which is more influenced by hispanics. Hispanics in Texas seemed to be a bit more integrated while Whites and Hispanics seem more divided in California. But we're also dealing with huge states with tons of diversity. Hispanic culture is more prominent in Southern California than in the Bay Area, which is almost as Asian as it is Hispanic.

As far as food is concerned, I do find Mexican food in California to be more authentic. It's true that most "Mexican" restaurants in Texas are heavily influenced with the local Texas flavor. Mexican food in California is pretty comparable to what you'd find in Baja California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City