Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is exhibiting the most progressive revitalization of it's city centre?
Cleveland 8 11.59%
Detroit 2 2.90%
Buffalo 1 1.45%
Philadelphia 20 28.99%
Pittsburgh 14 20.29%
St. Louis 6 8.70%
Other city ( Name it ) 18 26.09%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:01 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,256,379 times

Advertisements

I thought this would be an interesting thread ... with this particular thread "pertaining solely to the revitalization of downtown areas or the city centre" of once thriving cities. Especially those cities that have suffered from de-industrialization, and have sustained the severe throes of population losses.

There's a long list of such cities that have seen a flurry of mass redevelopment and new development moving in, transforming these once decaying corridors that have suffered the ravages of neglect for far too long.

Several years ago, in Cleveland, the monumental "Euclid Ave Corridor Project" began, thus resulting in a complete and uplifting transformation of this cities "Main Street" ... stretching from Public Square in the heart of the city centre, all the way out to the renowned University Circle district ... itself, a haven of world renowned healthcare and revered museums.

Within the first two years of this huge project, an astounding $4.3 BILLION in new investments was brought into Cleveland ... quite
an impressive sum of money for a city that many had "written off" as dead many years ago.

So, let's all FOCUS ON THE CITY CENTRE and the DOWNTOWNS of other US cities.
Provide pictures, links and commentaries on these other cities ... it's refreshing to see NEW LIFE bringing renewed vitality to many of these once dormant downtown areas.

It doesn't have to just evolve around major cities like Cleveland, Detroit or Philadelphia ... this thread could also encompass medium sized cities such as Fresno or Stockton in California ... really any city that has seen a major revitalization in it's city core.

I look forward to reading more about the renaissance that is occuring in your cities central core.

I'll start with a few videos / links that demonstrate the AMAZING TRANSFORMATIONS that are forever changing the face of Cleveland's city centre ...

YouTube - Downtown Cleveland Is Moving

YouTube - Greater Cleveland Partnership "Turning the Corner"

Last edited by JohnDBaumgardner; 04-12-2011 at 07:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 07:09 PM

818 posts, read 1,389,052 times
LA, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Oakland, Seattle, Austin, Denver, and Atlanta

Old 04-12-2011, 07:17 PM

769 posts, read 1,731,803 times
Most of them... I don't know why you only included Rust Belt cities. Unless you meant declining cities or hard-hit by the economy? In that case, I say Cleveland does make a pretty good case. Pittsburgh too

Old 04-12-2011, 07:21 PM

Dallas has really impressed me with some of the major projects that have helped to revitalize the city centre, especially after dusk ... bringing or keeping people downtown after the end of normal business hours.

Denver has not seen the level of neglect that I was referring to ... I was thinking more of really hard hit cities such as Detroit, Buffalo and even Fresno ...

Still, I once lived in Denver, and their city centre is amazing ... full of vitality, excellent restaurants and entertainment venues.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
Most of them... I don't know why you only included Rust Belt cities. There is already a very similar thread.
I said "any city" that has seen a renaissance of it's core or city centre ... even using Stockton and Fresno in California as examples ...

Old 04-12-2011, 07:25 PM

769 posts, read 1,731,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
I said "any city" that has seen a renaissance of it's core or city centre ... even using Stockton and Fresno in California as examples ...

Yes I know I didn't read correctly the first time, sorry. I said Cleveland is looking pretty good right now. Come to think of it, Baltimore is not so bad either.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
Yes I know I didn't read correctly the first time, sorry. I said Cleveland is looking pretty good right now. Come to think of it, Baltimore is not so bad either.
Yes, Baltimore is making strides forward, as are cities like St. Louis and even Detroit ...

There are sections of Detroit's city centre that are beginning to experience alot of re-investment ... luxury lofts and businesses are
starting to fill once vacant landmark towers.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:37 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,314,641 times
Some good cities on this list. Though smaller, I'd say Providence is a good one in this category too. The change there in the past 10-15 years is amazing.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:47 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,882,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
LA, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Oakland, Seattle, Austin, Denver, and Atlanta
Seattle, Denver, and Austin never experienced a downfall, and hence don't really apply here. The way I read the OP's post, I feel that we're talking about cities that were once prominant, but were then hit hard at one point or another, and are now revitalizing again.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Seattle, Denver, and Austin never experienced a downfall, and hence don't really apply here. The way I read the OP's post, I feel that we're talking about cities that were once prominant, but were then hit hard at one point or another, and are now revitalizing again.
West 336, you are correct. I don't see Dallas, Austin or Denver as examples that can or should be included in this conversation.
None of the aforementioned cities really fit the established criteria of this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City