Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 08:15 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
so, you're telling me europe is more informed about Seattle over DC
Yes, from what I could see. I think at, as kids in geography classes, they learned of DC first, for its being the capital...and they know something about our political system, but little about the city of DC. In fact, if they're short on time, they'll catch a "super save" to NYC and then go home.

With the web, they have access to more "hip" knowledge. They know that Seattle is a place that young Americans aspire to move to, that it was the home of grunge music, and that it's scenic, much the way we know that Prague is now a "cool" European destination...fifteen years ago, not as much.

This is what I notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 08:35 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,662,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Yes, from what I could see. I think at, as kids in geography classes, they learned of DC first, for its being the capital...and they know something about our political system, but little about the city of DC. In fact, if they're short on time, they'll catch a "super save" to NYC and then go home.

With the web, they have access to more "hip" knowledge. They know that Seattle is a place that young Americans aspire to move to, that it was the home of grunge music, and that it's scenic, much the way we know that Prague is now a "cool" European destination...fifteen years ago, not as much.

This is what I notice.
Very true. Washington DC is well know to Europeans. Washington State is more interesting to foreigners. Trust me on this, Washington attracts tourists from Europe and Asia that have "been there, done that" with D.C.
They want more, and Washington State, as well as the entire West Coast attract many from both areas greatly. I would go as far as saying foreigners have more interest in the west coast than most U.S. easterners. That could be a whole other thread.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:36 AM

669 posts, read 1,273,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
We are talking about two different things here. I'm talking about billions of people holding an opinion. There are many people that don't have any opinion of NYC. It doesn't effect many people's everyday life. DC however is in the news everyday on every television in the country and many televisions worldwide too.
What are you talking about NY is way more famous than DC, and important to everyday Americans what happens on Wall street and in these fortune 500 companies in Midtown directly effect the rest of the country.

Not to mention NY is the media capital the majority of the time when ppl turn on their national news their in NY, after LA it's the entertainment capital, fashion capital, art, business, etc

In reality NY is the most important city in this country and it is way more stereotyped than DC.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:06 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
LA
NY
SF
MIA
DC
Boston
Chicago

Old 04-27-2012, 06:53 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
LA
NY
SF
MIA
DC
Boston
Chicago
I think you've got it right, and in that order. Just take out DC altogether. It is rarely discussed.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:12 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,857,456 times
Quote:
...it is?

I feel like Seattle was... 15-20 years ago. Seattle's current music scene is stagnant, grunge is dead - even with the grunge-influenced fashion comeback that's trickling in, the music has moved on - and it seems like Portland and Austin are more the hip, artsy towns du jour.

I worked at a hotel in Seattle for awhile and I'd say that about 90% of our clientele was American. There are definitely European tourists that come there, but not to the same degree as other cities I've lived in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72
Very true. Washington DC is well know to Europeans. Washington State is more interesting to foreigners. Trust me on this, Washington attracts tourists from Europe and Asia that have "been there, done that" with D.C.
They want more, and Washington State, as well as the entire West Coast attract many from both areas greatly. I would go as far as saying foreigners have more interest in the west coast than most U.S. easterners. That could be a whole other thread.
When I worked in hotels in LA and SF, there were way more European tourists, many of whom had been to the East Coast multiple times over many years but had never been out west. A lot of them would rent cars and do a big LA-SF-LV, or any mix thereof, loop over the course of a couple weeks. Most of them really seemed to enjoy it and were shocked at how different the culture out here was versus other parts of the US.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:26 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,405,781 times
Quote:

This is what I notice.
DC is a place where news is made with the strong influence of this country internationally through military action too often. In the US, many of us view DC is a place supported by the taxes paid by the rest of us. Its not a city that produces anything but laws to goven the behavior of those of us who pay the salaries and cost of buildings etc in DC. So its economy isnt like any other in he country where you have to make things people want that make their life better. When the country needs jobs and DC and NVa have a great economy because of our taxes and the deficit spending prop its economy up pardon me if I dont care to see it or view it is a city with a real economic impact that is beneficial. Its a figment of the imagination our founding fathers perverted by a disconnect between what it takes to earn a dollar of taxes and the value of that dollar to those spending it and pretending anything less than a Billion is chump change.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:33 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
What are you talking about NY is way more famous than DC, and important to everyday Americans what happens on Wall street and in these fortune 500 companies in Midtown directly effect the rest of the country.

Not to mention NY is the media capital the majority of the time when ppl turn on their national news their in NY, after LA it's the entertainment capital, fashion capital, art, business, etc

In reality NY is the most important city in this country and it is way more stereotyped than DC.
Hate to break this to ya..... but outside of NY and NJ...... uhhhh.... nobody really thinks about NYC.... or really cares

I only thought about it because you brought it up, and I felt it was my duty to tell you the truth

Sorry to hurt your feelings

Anyways, the most stereotyped city has got to be Los Angeles

Old 04-30-2012, 05:28 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,823 times
When it comes to negative or exaggerated stereotypes my guess would be that Los Angeles draws the most. It's amazing the **** you hear people say about that place that is always so negative. LA really isn't that bad.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:34 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,043 times
San Francisco, Los Angeles, Memphis, St. Louis, and Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City