Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 03:00 PM

686 posts, read 1,167,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
And all the other areas of BK and Queens that are on the ocean and not lower bay?

Look I agree Houston coastal but more like a Philly and less like a Miami, LA, Boston, NYC Houston the main city (loop) and population are by and large inland. The metro and activities go to the coast but the city and bulk of the population is 15 to 50 miles inland. Why I think the comparison in coastal alignment is more similar to a place like Philly. Coastal but not on the coast if that makes sense
NO, if people want to be "Technical, neither NY or Houston is Coastal because both are in Bay's. Can't have it one way for one city, and another way for another city. However, I do get your point, I never made the argument that NY wasn't coastal. This was for the folks saying Houston wasn't coastal and comparing it to the likes of Orlando. Apples and Oranges. While a small part of Houston proper is coastal, Houston is considered a Coastal Metropolitan area.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 03:09 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
NO, if people want to be "Technical, neither NY or Houston is Coastal because both are in Bay's. Can't have it one way for one city, and another way for another city. However, I do get your point, I never made the argument that NY wasn't coastal. This was for the folks saying Houston wasn't coastal and comparing it to the likes of Orlando. Apples and Oranges. While a small part of Houston proper is coastal, Houston is considered a Coastal Metropolitan area.

Are Queens and BK not part of NYC? Bost are on the Atlntic Ocean; it is clear from your map, no manhttan is not but vastly closer than the DT of Houston

I am in your camp on Houston being coastal, but the city itself is a different form of coastal

Your map clearly show parts of NYC on the Atlantic; are you denying this?

Queens, NY - Google Maps

Sure as heck looks like Queens and the Atlantic Ocean to me

Old 05-01-2012, 03:13 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
While yes coastal Houston is not as close or as integrated, but agree with you the general metro/city is coastal, But Houston is not on the coast like NYC

Same scale below
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=New+Yo...+York&t=m&z=11

Houston, TX - Google Maps

Old 05-01-2012, 03:19 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,243,218 times
New Orleans not in there?????

Old 05-01-2012, 03:23 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,705,221 times
Quote:

Like I said, Coney Island is in New York Lower Bay. Facts are not debatable my friend ;-)
Coney Island is just 1 NYC beach, it is not the longest nor the best, just famous and historical. There are beaches in NYC city limits that are directly on Atlantic Ocean, not the Bay. Google Rockaway Beach.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:50 PM

200 posts, read 294,745 times
Quote:
If there was a scale from 1 to 10 of how coastal a city/metro is, I would probably rate Houston at an 8. 1 would be cities like Denver/Phoenix/Atlanta with no ties to any water at all while a 10 would be cities like Miami/San Diego/San Francisco. Although DT Houston is over 20 miles from the coast and a lot of the metro resides in the western half, having access to the coast/gulf still plays a huge part of the Houston economy. As mentioned by you and others, we still have a part of the population living near or on the coast and there are destinations that are popular for daytrips by the locals, which is why I would give it an 8. If DT Houston was located 20 miles to the SE, it would no doubt be between a 9 and 10.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:45 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:

Like I said, Coney Island is in New York Lower Bay. Facts are not debatable my friend ;-)
How did you miss the entire Rockaways?

Old 05-01-2012, 08:49 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlady Z View Post
If there was a scale from 1 to 10 of how coastal a city/metro is, I would probably rate Houston at an 8. 1 would be cities like Denver/Phoenix/Atlanta with no ties to any water at all while a 10 would be cities like Miami/San Diego/San Francisco. Although DT Houston is over 20 miles from the coast and a lot of the metro resides in the western half, having access to the coast/gulf still plays a huge part of the Houston economy. As mentioned by you and others, we still have a part of the population living near or on the coast and there are destinations that are popular for daytrips by the locals, which is why I would give it an 8. If DT Houston was located 20 miles to the SE, it would no doubt be between a 9 and 10.
well stated, you can tell when people say crap like Houston is not coastal that they have no clue about the area

Old 05-01-2012, 08:55 PM

686 posts, read 1,167,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Are Queens and BK not part of NYC? Bost are on the Atlntic Ocean; it is clear from your map, no manhttan is not but vastly closer than the DT of Houston

I am in your camp on Houston being coastal, but the city itself is a different form of coastal

Your map clearly show parts of NYC on the Atlantic; are you denying this?

Queens, NY - Google Maps

Sure as heck looks like Queens and the Atlantic Ocean to me
You are Right, I didn't realize that the sliver of land on that Peninsula was also apart of Queens. So technically it does, but the vast majority of NY is in the Bays and Rivers...So point taken.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:57 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
You are Right, I didn't realize that the sliver of land on that Peninsula was also apart of Queens. So technically it does, but the vast majority of NY is in the Bays and Rivers...So point taken.
The exact same thing he says for Houston. I dunno when its a majority for Houston its a problem but when its someplace else its okay.

Yeah right. Both NY and Houston city limits touch the coast in SOME area,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City