Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:04 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,668,599 times

Advertisements

I 'd like to entertain an outside the box thought. Lets suppose you were an African American in a city where you were out numbered over 100 to one. If every where you went you were the only African American you saw and you felt comfortable being surrounded by non-Blacks. Lets say you could relocated at anytime so nothing was really forcing you to stay. would that be a city that was good for blacks?
Its a given that cities with large African American populations are attractive ,but how do you know that a city with a small population of African Americans is a city that is good (or Bad) for African Americans?

Last edited by thriftylefty; 04-30-2012 at 08:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 08:07 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I 'd like to entertain an outside the box thought. Lets suppose you were an African American in a city where you were out numbered over 100 to one. If every where you went you were the only African American you saw and you felt comfortable being surrounded by non-Blacks. Lets say you could relocated at anytime so nothing was really forcing you to stay. would that be a city that was good for blacks?
Its a given that cities with large African American populations are attractive ,but how do you know that a city with a small population of African Americans is a city that is good for African Americans?
Nice post

Old 04-30-2012, 08:44 PM

637 posts, read 1,014,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
Hate between blacks and hispanics, wow im black and hispanic and im not in a stupid gang or selling drugs!
Yeah, its a pretty huge problem in Los Angeles. It may be the case in other areas of the country, but LA is pretty much known for it.

However, in NYC, DC, Philadelphia, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Chicago, etc. its not a huge issue.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:47 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Doesn't Indiana have more KKK member than anywhere in the country?
nope.
Gotta love it when people pull the Indiana KKK 1920s Sterotype card.
The year is 2012 not 1925 the KKK has long been chased out of Indiana
Racism isnt an issue in Indiana and heck Indy is the most Racially Intergrated City in the midwest.
25% of Blacks and Whites live within a city block.
Heck i once talked to a southern person that relocated to Indy and they were very surprised by the lack of racism of Indy especially compared to the south.
Hence why if i were black i would choose Indy over Atlanta/the south anyday.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:05 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
nope.
Gotta love it when people pull the Indiana KKK 1920s Sterotype card.
The year is 2012 not 1925 the KKK has long been chased out of Indiana
But you pull out the South 1950's stereotype card and that's somehow okay????

Quote:
Heck i once talked to a southern person that relocated to Indy and they were very surprised by the lack of racism of Indy especially compared to the south.
Hence why if i were black i would choose Indy over Atlanta/the south anyday.
First of all, the South isn't monolithic. You don't get the same experiences across the entire region. You think Indy is representative of the entire Midwest??? Secondly, how many Black mayors has Indianapolis had? Black police chiefs? Fire chiefs? HBCUs? What's the educational attainment rate for Blacks? Entrepreneurship? What media outlets that cater to Blacks are based there? Sorry dude, but when it comes to these things, Indy can't come close to touching a city like Atlanta. I'm not saying that all of those things are necessary in order for Blacks to have a good life in a particular city, but by just about any objective measure, Atlanta has been more relevant to African American life, culture, and achievement than Indy. I have no problems with someone choosing Indy over Atlanta, but don't do it based on delusions because you clearly have no facts to back up your implication that Atlanta is more racist towards Blacks than Indy.

Sorry, but your ramblings are completely nonsensical and idiotic.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:12 PM

85 posts, read 318,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Its a given that cities with large African American populations are attractive ,but how do you know that a city with a small population of African Americans is a city that is good (or Bad) for African Americans?
Agreed!

Old 04-30-2012, 09:32 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Yeah, just like the huge racial conflict between Blacks and Latinos in Houston and Dallas.....

OH WAIT! There is NO huge racial conflict between Blacks and Latinos in Houston and Dallas even though Latinos in both areas are mostly immigrant as well! Even better is the fact that the Black population of Houston and Dallas are nearly the same size of LA.

No, there is something about LA and California itself that sets race relations. Its the combination of racists from the Midwest and South (the Whites are mostly from the rural areas of those regions are the ones who moved to LA en masse, while the Whites in Northern California seem more to be more from the Northeast) in control with help of the people of highly racialized Mexico and Central America along with the unfamiliarity toward Blacks from Asians.

Sounds more like what's really going on.
Actually By city Houston Has more Blacks than LA although Houston is half the size ( Houston 515K to LA's 402K) By Metro both Houston and DFW are passed LA with all three around the 1M range.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:00 PM

637 posts, read 1,014,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Actually By city Houston Has more Blacks than LA although Houston is half the size ( Houston 515K to LA's 402K) By Metro both Houston and DFW are passed LA with all three around the 1M range.
Yep!

As noted earlier, Greater London (with only 7.7 million people in 607 square miles) has nearly as many Black people (around 800k-900k unofficially as of 2009) as LA, with having a much higher percentage of Blacks than LA (more than 10% in London, as opposed to a little more than 6% in LA)

To be fair to LA MSA though, many of the Blacks of LA MSA are simply moving to San Bernardino-Riverside MSA. However, even by CSA, DFW and Houston are about to pass LA CSA as well.

I do hope that the Hispanic population of DFW and Houston don't start pulling the same thing they did in LA once the Latino population becomes extremely dominant.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:03 PM

422 posts, read 815,395 times
For me, the best cities for blacks (or any American) is the larger metros with a diversified work force, high quality of living and access to cultural offerings and a top flight education.

NY, DC, SF, Chi, Bos and Atl would be my top 6.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:15 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
out of these I'll Say Charlotte. Actually most of the metro areas in North Carolina have a very visible black middle class. The difference between these areas and places like D.C. and ATL is that there aren't any majority BLACK middle class or upper class neighborhoods. Everything is pretty mixed (which is good IMO)

mas23
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City