Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who makes the best chesesteak
NYC 27 16.98%
Philly 132 83.02%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 12:05 PM

79 posts, read 42,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I ended up trying Oh Brother Philly and Cleavers and I thought both were tasty as hell. The best cheesesteaks I ever had.
Well, I'm glad you enjoyed the feast. Come again! We do have so many others. I know where, Oh Brother is, it's down the street from Primos, one of the best locally franchised hoagie spots. But, I tried Oh Brother for the first time from grub hub, and I gotta say, though it's not my favorite, but for it to be "rib-eye" steak it wasn't too bad. The roll was nice and soft, and the cheese was melted like glaze, however, I prefer sirloin because that's what make cheesesteaks so unique in taste. I don't like big meat chunks. But, it wasn't overdone like, Pats or Geno's. They would've had husky cuts of beef jerky on a roll, talking about, "wiz wit or wit out?".

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I am not aware of any Wawa in NYC. They never had one in NYC for longest time until maybe a few years ago with one in Hackensack.
Oh no! Which borough is that?

Quote:
I never even heard of chopped cheese until maybe a year or two ago. I am positive it is some hipster viral marketing strategy by Boars Head. They probably have low sales of thinly sliced beef and needed to off load. Just come up with name to differentiate from cheesesteaks, put out some YT vids showcasing it and see who bites. Boars Head has monopoly over all the bodegas in NYC.
I never heard of chopped cheese either. Sounds like a knock off version. If it's thinly slice beef, they ARE NOT IT, next. I wanna a cheesesteak, not a roast beef sandwich. Lmao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2021, 09:17 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaM n.p. View Post

Oh no! Which borough is that?

I never heard of chopped cheese either. Sounds like a knock off version. If it's thinly slice beef, they ARE NOT IT, next. I wanna a cheesesteak, not a roast beef sandwich. Lmao
Hackensack in in NNJ. I meant to say there wasnt one in NNJ and NYC both.

From what I can tell is the chop cheese is cheesesteak except they mince it more on the flat top so there are no thin slices just mince meat.

Old 08-09-2021, 04:27 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
I never even heard of chopped cheese until maybe a year or two ago. I am positive it is some hipster viral marketing strategy by Boars Head. They probably have low sales of thinly sliced beef and needed to off load. Just come up with name to differentiate from cheesesteaks, put out some YT vids showcasing it and see who bites. Boars Head has monopoly over all the bodegas in NYC.
You could start a whole 'nother Philly-vs.-NYC thread on Boar's Head vs. Dietz & Watson.

Both companies now distribute their deli meats and cheeses across the country, and both stress their superior quality.

D&W actually ran an ad about five years ago in which they gave New Yorkers sandwiches made with each company's products and asked them which tasted better; of course, the New Yorkers in the ads said D&W was better. (I think they were offered the sandwiches blind, that is, they didn't know which was which.)

I will have to surrender my Philly credentials for saying I actually prefer Boar's Head in most product lines. But Dietz & Watson ain't chopped liver.

Old 08-09-2021, 11:10 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
You could start a whole 'nother Philly-vs.-NYC thread on Boar's Head vs. Dietz & Watson.

Both companies now distribute their deli meats and cheeses across the country, and both stress their superior quality.

D&W actually ran an ad about five years ago in which they gave New Yorkers sandwiches made with each company's products and asked them which tasted better; of course, the New Yorkers in the ads said D&W was better. (I think they were offered the sandwiches blind, that is, they didn't know which was which.)

I will have to surrender my Philly credentials for saying I actually prefer Boar's Head in most product lines. But Dietz & Watson ain't chopped liver.
I have literally never seen Dietz and Watson in any supermarket deli counter around the country. I see it sometimes in the packages like Oscar Meyer, but never at the counter where they make sandwiches. I know some restaurants use DW though. None of the bodegas/cornershops in NYC nor NNJ or LI carry D&W.

There is a small town north of Philly called Hazleton, and there is an eatery called Jimmy's Lunch. They have the best hotdogs I have ever tasted from D&W of course.

Old 08-09-2021, 04:56 PM

79 posts, read 42,948 times
Quote:
Hackensack in in NNJ. I meant to say there wasnt one in NNJ and NYC both.

From what I can tell is the chop cheese is cheesesteak except they mince it more on the flat top so there are no thin slices just mince meat.
Oh okay. I was gonna say. I already know they're all over south Jersey. Let the NNJ invasion begin.
Quote:
There is a small town north of Philly called Hazleton, and there is an eatery called Jimmy's Lunch. They have the best hotdogs I have ever tasted from D&W of course.
Interesting about that hot dog place. I gotta soft spot for Gray's Papaya in NYc.

Old 08-10-2021, 03:10 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
I have literally never seen Dietz and Watson in any supermarket deli counter around the country. I see it sometimes in the packages like Oscar Meyer, but never at the counter where they make sandwiches. I know some restaurants use DW though. None of the bodegas/cornershops in NYC nor NNJ or LI carry D&W.

I'm going to wager that the further you get from the Northeast, the more likely that the Boar's Head products you find are prepackaged as well. But I'm going to make a mental note to visit a supermarket in Johnson County, Kan., on my next trip Back Home to test this theory. (Hen House stores in the KC area carry Boar's Head, and all of those are in the more affluent parts of the metropolitan area. Unlike D&W, Boar's Head doesn't tell you what products a given store carries. And D&W doesn't tell you whether a store carries its service deli line either; only packaged products show up on the "where to buy" directory for several local supermarkets that I know carry D&W in their delis. Dirty little secret: I've generally found that you can buy D&W deli meats and cheeses for less at your corner deli or neighborhood grocer than at your supermarket.)

D&W does make damned good hot dogs. But you haven't lived until you've tried a genuine Chicago hot dog made with Vienna Beef franks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City