Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 06:27 AM

43 posts, read 52,516 times

Advertisements

Toronto would be no bigger than Buffalo if it were in the US. Smaller even.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2024, 09:00 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxfordguy View Post
Toronto would be no bigger than Buffalo if it were in the US. Smaller even.
This makes no sense at all.
Like saying "Los Angeles would be no bigger than Tijuana if it were in Mexico."

Toronto is not in the US. There is no "if it were."

Old 01-08-2024, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

But since we've been discussing quality vs. quantity: The Chicago Transit Authority has rebounded smartly from the mess it was in the 1990s, but the Toronto Transit Commission has provided what I would say is the highest quality of service in all of North America (yes, better even than the New York MTA) for many years, maybe even ever since Canada's first subway line opened under Yonge Street in 1954.
I'd give that honor to Montreal personally. The metro trains are some of the smoothest riding trains out there, and the coverage and scheduling is very good. The recent REM (light rail) going out to the suburbs is nothing short of impressive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A...%A9tropolitain

Old 01-08-2024, 12:11 PM

14,012 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
THEY HAVE A CAR.

Car ownership per household is roughly the same in Toronto as it is in Chicago. ~28%

Are you debating with yourself?
Illinois has a ~8% higher car household ownership rate than Ontario. So regionally it does shake out they way. Plus if be willing to bet cars/capita pull in Chicagos direction (in fact based on what I can find, Chicago has ~300,000 more cars)

Old 01-08-2024, 09:06 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I'd give that honor to Montreal personally. The metro trains are some of the smoothest riding trains out there, and the coverage and scheduling is very good. The recent REM (light rail) going out to the suburbs is nothing short of impressive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A...%A9tropolitain
Funny: I was watching Not Just Bikes' hour-long video examining Montréal earlier today. He devoted the first half hour to its strengths and the second half hour to its weaknesses.

He too had high praise for the STM Metro and the REM but was highly critical of the buses (and the way the city was laced with freeways and stroads that both hamper the buses and diminish the effectiveness of the metro network, in his view; he is on the whole highly critical of North American cities, including Canada's, and he had plenty critical to say about Montréal as well even as he agreed that it is probably the best city in North America from a walkable urbanist perspective).

Toronto's bus service, or at least what I experienced on a visit there in the late 1970s, is quite good — and we tend to sell the buses short.

Old 01-08-2024, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Funny: I was watching Not Just Bikes' hour-long video examining Montréal earlier today. He devoted the first half hour to its strengths and the second half hour to its weaknesses.

He too had high praise for the STM Metro and the REM but was highly critical of the buses (and the way the city was laced with freeways and stroads that both hamper the buses and diminish the effectiveness of the metro network, in his view; he is on the whole highly critical of North American cities, including Canada's, and he had plenty critical to say about Montréal as well even as he agreed that it is probably the best city in North America from a walkable urbanist perspective).

Toronto's bus service, or at least what I experienced on a visit there in the late 1970s, is quite good — and we tend to sell the buses short.
I agree, North American cities tend to be quite poorly built in terms of urban form, and after having spent time in even smaller Japanese cities, it is quite apparent that we have a major issue with giant expressways cutting through cities. I find lots of parts of Montreal to be similar to Manhattan and Brooklyn in that they are somewhat outliers, but the problems still exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City