Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2024, 10:38 AM

17,154 posts, read 15,366,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No, the median Toronto literally has ~Seattle level housing and ~Buffalo level wages. They have less money after Housing than a Chicagoan. So the Cost benefit analysis leans towards taking the bus for more people. Especially since driving per mile is in absolute terms more expensive, let alone owning a car.
The high transit ridership in Canadian cities has everything to do with proper urban planning. People with money are also using the transit systems. Why would anyone want to sit in gridlocked traffic on the 401 during their daily commutes when they can ride a train that gets to their destination in significantly less time, and without the stress?
You do know where the busiest highway in North America is, right?

Also, the rest of the world also has high transit ridership, including wealthy nations. The US is just far behind in most cities.

And where are you getting this info about "Buffalo level wages?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2024, 10:49 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
The high transit ridership in Canadian cities has everything to do with proper urban planning. People with money are also using the transit systems. Why would anyone want to sit in gridlocked traffic on the 401 during their daily commutes when they can ride a train that gets to their destination in significantly less time, and without the stress?
You do know where the busiest highway in North America is, right?

Also, the rest of the world also has high transit ridership, including wealthy nations. The US is just far behind in most cities.
The United States is richer than every major European country.

https://data.oecd.org/hha/household-...ble-income.htm

Adjusting for social transfer (Eg: healthcare, pensions etc) Americans have an extra $20k a year to spend than Canadians, Brits and French, and 10k above and beyond the Germans.

You’re the crazy one of you think giving Canadians $20k /year wouldn’t cause a lot of them to go “cool I’m buying a car”

People hate traffic but the “taking the bus to the movies on Sunday” or “in to town for the game Thursday night” is the kind of trip wealthy people tend not to take on transit because traffic isn’t a concern.

In fact it’s a pretty well established explanation LA had the best recovery of major systems cayse they had the least choice riders to begin with.

The middle class in Toronto look at their income, cost of a car, cost of their apartment and, Traffic, transit options and say “well I’m better off on TTC.

And compared to Chicago all 5 factors favor Transit more strongly but TTC is in charge of 1. And well ODOT one other

Old 01-02-2024, 12:15 PM

444 posts, read 282,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Considering how they're not even connected to the city, I'd say most probably would much prefer Central Park.

How many people wake up and just go for a quick jog on the Toronto Islands? Or during lunch break from work?
There is no way the people of Toronto would choose to give up the Toronto Islands for Central Park.
Central parks also doesn't have beaches, including a nude beach, amusement park or boat racing.
Having to take a boat to get there is one of the many reasons why they are awesome and why Toronto has not built a bridge to the park.

Toronto has plenty of parks for people to run including nearly the entire 46 km waterfront of the city being parkland.

Last edited by Trojan1982; 01-02-2024 at 12:26 PM..

Old 01-02-2024, 01:22 PM

424 posts, read 465,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
There is no way the people of Toronto would choose to give up the Toronto Islands for Central Park.
Central parks also doesn't have beaches, including a nude beach, amusement park or boat racing.
Having to take a boat to get there is one of the many reasons why they are awesome and why Toronto has not built a bridge to the park.

Toronto has plenty of parks for people to run including nearly the entire 46 km waterfront of the city being parkland.
Hmm I don't know, isn't there a bunch of private development on the islands? I think I read that 700 people live on the islands.
You would not see that in Central Park or the Chicago lakefront.

Old 01-02-2024, 01:53 PM

1,542 posts, read 868,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...z&opi=89978449

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...J&opi=89978449

Lets be honest, its gonna happen sooner or later. Chicago has like what, 4 skyscrapers U/C, meanwhile Toronto has 100+ skyscrapers under construction with hundreds more proposed. The writing is on the wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
Chicago only feels bigger in the downtown area. Once you leave downtown out, Toronto feels way bigger and its not close.
Please be more elaborate. Chicago's skyline is way bigger from any view. And how many skyscrapers are being built each year in Toronto?

Old 01-02-2024, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
Hmm I don't know, isn't there a bunch of private development on the islands? I think I read that 700 people live on the islands.
You would not see that in Central Park or the Chicago lakefront.
650 people live on the islands well on 2 of the islands on the eastern edge and the neighbourhoods is a highlight of visiting the islands because it's North America's largest car free community, has an interesting history and the homes are rustic in which you feel like you are in a small village while being 10 minutes away from the downtown of the largest city in the country.

Last edited by Trojan1982; 01-02-2024 at 02:44 PM..

Old 01-02-2024, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
Please be more elaborate. Chicago's skyline is way bigger from any view. And how many skyscrapers are being built each year in Toronto?
What he means is that Toronto has over 1,500 more highrises than Chicago and feels bigger throughout the city because there there are high-rises and highrises clusters everywhere, not just downtown

here is the number of built and under construction highrises in both cities

Chicago 1,252 https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=103682183
Toronto 2,855 https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=103682180

The highrises don't stop at the city of Toronto border either and the entire region is filled with highrises. I don't think the US any region like Toronto. Miami might be the closest but all it's high-rises clusters are near the water while in Toronto they are in all directions.

Last edited by Trojan1982; 01-02-2024 at 03:06 PM..

Old 01-02-2024, 03:15 PM

424 posts, read 465,808 times
Quote:
650 people live on the islands well on 2 of the islands on the eastern edge and the neighbourhoods is a highlight of visiting the islands because it's North America's largest car free community, has an interesting history and the homes are rustic in which you feel like you are in a small village while being 10 minutes away from the downtown of the largest city in the country.

Hmm in principle I don't think that it is a good thing to have an exclusive private development on what should be open land. I see it as detracting from the appeal of the Toronto Islands. So what if this development is walkable or car-free? You and I don't live there? We can't enjoy it as a public space. Only the property owners and their circle of friends and family have it. It's a private take over of what should be one of the city's premier parks. This is how I feel about the Lake Point Tower in Chicago as well.

Last edited by sf_arkitect; 01-02-2024 at 03:48 PM..

Old 01-02-2024, 03:19 PM

17,154 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
The highrises don't stop at the city of Toronto border either and the entire region is filled with highrises. I don't think the US any region like Toronto. Miami might be the closest but all it's high-rises clusters are near the water while in Toronto they are in all directions.
You mean "aside from NYC," right?

Old 01-02-2024, 03:21 PM

441 posts, read 228,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post

Alot. Way more than Chicago. There's plethora articles out there of Toronto's bonkers construction boom. There were probably more construction permits permitted in a single month in Toronto than Chicago had all year. There's 100+ cranes all over the city. Their population is skyrocketing. Toronto is a great lakes city that is experiencing sunbelt/Texas level growth. Meanwhile Chicago's population has been stagnant for decades
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City