Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is closer to a perfect metro?
NYC & Chicago 116 69.05%
SF & LA 52 30.95%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 03:39 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,503,403 times

Advertisements

lol ScrantiX. There's no "surrendering". People have opinions. Nothing of anybody's opinion is factual, it's all subjective. The only reason the poll was made was to see what the majority of people think. Nothing has to be proven to anyone, anyone's opinion is anyone's opinion, your opinion isn't greater than anyones, just like others' aren't greater than yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 03:50 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Name calling? Yet I'm clueless and the only one posting any FACTS here is me. Every word of your post has been an opinion trying to disprove that LA.

Typical people from inferior places resort to these things. Why don't you argue with facts and dispute my walkscore claim instead of kissing grapico for making your points for you? How about you define what density you think is the cutoff for "urban".
Yes I am from an inferior place. You got me chief.

I don't need to define anything and I don't give a flying f*k about your walkscores. I have been to LA 4 times and saw it with my own eyes. Most of it looked pretty slow and lifeless by 10m+ urban area standards. Heck even by 1m urban area standards almost anywhere outside the US. Even the car traffic was weak compared to what i am used to back home. Not to mention pedestrian traffic. There are pockets of decent to pretty good urbanity but precious little world class urbanity.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:56 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
There are pockets of decent to pretty good urbanity but precious little world class urbanity.
Ok so here's another approach. What corridors from other 10M+ metros around the world do you consider vibrant and "world class" urban? If you've traveled through Europe, preferably use the corridors from their 10M+ metros to answer your question, if not NYC and Chicago are ok to use.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Ok so here's another approach. What corridors from other 10M+ metros around the world do you consider vibrant and "world class" urban? If you've traveled through Europe, preferably use the corridors from their 10M+ metros to answer your question, if not NYC and Chicago are ok to use.
You still barking? Tell you what... First you explain to me why your super walkable, super urban LA has the same number of cabs as that paragon of urbanity called Houston and lower subway ridership than that other paragon of urbanity called Atlanta, and then I'll give you examples of world class urbanity.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:31 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
You still barking? Tell you what... First you explain to me why your super walkable, super urban LA has the same number of cabs as that paragon of urbanity called Houston and lower subway ridership than that other paragon of urbanity called Atlanta, and then I'll give you examples of world class urbanity.
Have you gone completely mad man?

I don't even remember mentioning cabs or a subway at all. Where do you easties get your logic. Don't ever compare Houston and Atlanta to LA again, they're not even on the same planet as LA. You're stalling for your posse to show up. You haven't answered any of my questions, that in itself is your answer. Thanks kiddo.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Have you gone completely mad man?

I don't even remember mentioning cabs or a subway at all. Where do you easties get your logic. Don't ever compare Houston and Atlanta to LA again, they're not even on the same planet as LA. You're stalling for your posse to show up. You haven't answered any of my questions, that in itself is your answer. Thanks kiddo.
I know you didn't mention it. I mentioned it! It's much easier for you to show meaningless aerial photos than to deal with some inconvenient facts.

Yeah, of course, Houston and Atlanta are not on the same planet with LA, and yet LA can barely match the taxi demand in Houston or the subway ridership in Atlanta... cities with a fraction of LA's population. That's some world class urbanity you've got there...

Old 06-03-2012, 09:10 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
From the website:
pronunciation - Difference in meaning and prononciation of urbane and urban - English Language and Usage

I encounter these two words pretty often, both orally and in writing. What is the difference between two, and how to pronounce, say in USA?

Urbane has a more subjective meaning. Urban means something that relates to the city, while urbane describes a level of sophistication and elegance that supposedly would be typical for city folk.

urban means posh and well developed, of course, talking about a city while urbane has more to do with his mannerisms- reflecting sophistication and class.

Archie Bunker from All in the Family (1970s) or even Doug Heffernan from King of Queens (2000s) are good examples that just because one lives an urban existence, does not live an URBANE one.

Although these are TV shows, one must remember that they are technically set in New York City. I think it would be hard to set those in San Francisco or LA. They just wouldn't be believable.

The Napa, Sonoma wine country, is the complete antithesis of urban. It is obviously rural, yet it is urbane. California cities may not be as urban, but they are more urbane outside the core urban areas.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:47 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,680 times
The top 5 most walkable cities in the country ar NYC, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, then followed by Philadelphia.

Los Angeles isn't even in the top 10.

even Miami is more walkable than Los Angeles.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:53 AM

229 posts, read 468,760 times
Can't find this in L.A

Chicago skyline, from Lincoln Park at Fullerton - YouTube

Lollapalooza right in downtown chicago

Lollapalooza 2011 - YouTube

Old 06-03-2012, 10:59 AM

430 posts, read 1,650,522 times
Why do people in Chicago think that there lake is a beach? I never understood that.

Beaches are relative to the Ocean, not giant lake that resembles an ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City