Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is overall better?
Montreal, QC 180 59.60%
San Francisco, CA 122 40.40%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 08:38 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sure, you can claim that I'm trolling, but I'm pretty sure you'll get a lot of people who've been to both places who will back me on this.
Yawns.

World's Most Stylish Cities - Forbes.com

Quote:
The first thing most people notice when they go to Montreal from the states is how well put together everyone seems to be.
Funny Ive only ever heard that on C-D.

Quote:
Have you been to Montreal before?
Yes and they have a bunch of hipsters just like SF--that doesnt equal fashionable.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:37 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yawns.

World's Most Stylish Cities - Forbes.com

Funny Ive only ever heard that on C-D.

Yes and they have a bunch of hipsters just like SF--that doesnt equal fashionable.
I'm not saying SF is super dowdy though there are a lot of people in SF that seemed pretty frumpy. Also, you realize your link cites the industrial design firms in the Bay Area as the reason why it's stylish right? There's likely a loose correlation there, but it's not quite the same thing. I do think Apple products have a nice build to them though the skeumorphisms in the guis are a misstep and sort of chintzy. In terms of what people are wearing and look like, I haven't heard anyone ever put SF as having particularly stylish or attractive people.

Oh, I don't mean hipsters though they exist. I mean in general people including older people and all seem to put a lot more effort or funding or whatever into how they dress and look. It's not just something that's on city-data. Have you really been to Montreal before?

Old 02-14-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm not saying SF is super dowdy though there are a lot of people in SF that seemed pretty frumpy. Also, you realize your link cites the industrial design firms in the Bay Area as the reason why it's stylish right? There's likely a loose correlation there, but it's not quite the same thing. I do think Apple products have a nice build to them though the skeumorphisms in the guis are a misstep and sort of chintzy. In terms of what people are wearing and look like, I haven't heard anyone ever put SF as having particularly stylish or attractive people.

Oh, I don't mean hipsters though they exist. I mean in general people including older people and all seem to put a lot more effort or funding or whatever into how they dress and look. It's not just something that's on city-data. Have you really been to Montreal before?
Yes, I have been to Montreal but I dont recall being enamored by how people dress.

Only on C-D have I seen this.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:02 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Yes, I have been to Montreal but I dont recall being enamored by how people dress.

Only on C-D have I seen this.
Alright, sounds good. I've definitely heard it elsewhere (even in real life!) and it was self-evident to me having been to both places but if you disagree what am I going to do? Nothing!

I do like Montreal a lot. I really want them to build a giant greenhouse for the winter somewhere in the city and accessible via metro without having to get out. Those rooftop farms are nice, but you can't just mosey in when you're cold. Well, there is this.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 02-14-2013 at 11:10 AM..

Old 02-14-2013, 06:27 PM

734 posts, read 483,934 times
It's common sense that Montreal is a chicer city than SF. In fact, it is the best-dressed city in North America, imho, even better than NYC.

Women in Montreal shave - they're North American. And even if some French women don't keep on shaving under the arms at times, they still look ultra feminine compared to many women in SF (no offense...just calling it how it is).

Old 02-14-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancaisDeutsch View Post
It's common sense that Montreal is a chicer city than SF. In fact, it is the best-dressed city in North America, imho, even better than NYC.

Women in Montreal shave - they're North American. And even if some French women don't keep on shaving under the arms at times, they still look ultra feminine compared to many women in SF (no offense...just calling it how it is).
Sorry but the whole hairy pits thing just grosses me out too much to accept anymore of your hollow bragging and failed attempts at snobbery...this is like a pauper bragging to Bill Gates about having 20 dollars.

SFs socialites really are not matched by any group in Montreal when it comes to style, I came there from NYCspecifically for a gala and people were severly outclassed by what Im used to in SF. Frankly. So yeah.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:20 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
Quote:
SFs socialites really are not matched by any group in Montreal when it comes to style, I came there from NYCspecifically for a gala and people were severly outclassed by what Im used to in SF. Frankly. So yeah.
I dunno about socialites but I would say that the avg real person you see in Montreal would exude more style than the avg San Franciscan - it's a cultural thing.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I dunno about socialites but I would say that the avg real person you see in Montreal would exude more style than the avg San Franciscan - it's a cultural thing.
Hey I dont see it but your entitled to your opinion.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:26 PM

477 posts, read 802,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancaisDeutsch View Post

Had to rep you, I agree totally.

It's common knowledge that Montreal women are the best dressed, most in style
women in north america. It's been that way for many years, 50+ years at least.
And yes they do shave their arm pits

Old 02-14-2013, 07:28 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
Yes I guess we all are lol

Quote:
Hey I dont see it but your entitled to your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City