Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is overall better?
Montreal, QC 180 59.60%
San Francisco, CA 122 40.40%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:31 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,179,672 times

Advertisements

I was born in San Francisco but I still say Montreal. Canadian cities are amazing in general, and the fact Montreal is French puts it one step up.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:10 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
I was born in San Francisco but I still say Montreal. Canadian cities are amazing in general, and the fact Montreal is French puts it one step up.
Analogous logic.

I was born in Los Angeles, know San Francisco well, but I still say Montreal, too.

Canadian cities are fascinating (I don't know why), but Montreal is the jewel in the crown.

I only wish I knew McGill was an option, such that I could have used it as a "base" for making Montreal home.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:22 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I don't know about this. Finding parking in Montreal is MUCH easier. Even a little bit of driving around Centre-Ville and you will find a meter. Not so easy to do in any commercial part of San Francisco.
There might be something with montreal being the downtown of a much smaller metro, the significantly lower vehicles per capita of Canada compared to the US (didn't look into the stats between SF/SF's metro and Montreal/Montreal's metro), and much better Montreal mass transit system.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:23 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I don't know about this. Finding parking in Montreal is MUCH easier. Even a little bit of driving around Centre-Ville and you will find a meter. Not so easy to do in any commercial part of San Francisco.
I would agree with the downtown vs. downtown comparison, but I always have a MUCH easier time parking just outside of downtown San Francisco (even overnight) than I do in Montreal.

I think one big difference is that SOOO much of San Francisco's activity takes place in our just outside the downtown area. Montreal's downtown area (with the exception, of course, of St. Catherine... but even then, that's active outside of the downtown area) is not quite as active as San Francisco's, but I find that there's a lot more going on outside of downtown Montreal than there is in SF's outer neighborhoods (except the Castro or the tourist mecca of Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39/Ghiradelli Square). If you visited Montreal and really didn't leave Centre Ville and Vieux Montreal, you may find Montreal to be a bit... tame. If you visited San Francisco and didn't leave downtown (I'm including edge neighborhoods like Chinatown, Tenderloin, North Beach, etc) or the Embarcadero, you'd probably find quite a bit more activity than in Montreal. To really get a feel for Montreal's pulse, you need to leave downtown.

Overall, I much prefer San Francisco which to me feels quite a bit larger than Montreal.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:04 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Montreal is unusually appealing to me, for some reason. Plus, I prefer the eastern half of North America.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:31 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I would agree with the downtown vs. downtown comparison, but I always have a MUCH easier time parking just outside of downtown San Francisco (even overnight) than I do in Montreal.

I think one big difference is that SOOO much of San Francisco's activity takes place in our just outside the downtown area. Montreal's downtown area (with the exception, of course, of St. Catherine... but even then, that's active outside of the downtown area) is not quite as active as San Francisco's, but I find that there's a lot more going on outside of downtown Montreal than there is in SF's outer neighborhoods (except the Castro or the tourist mecca of Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39/Ghiradelli Square). If you visited Montreal and really didn't leave Centre Ville and Vieux Montreal, you may find Montreal to be a bit... tame. If you visited San Francisco and didn't leave downtown (I'm including edge neighborhoods like Chinatown, Tenderloin, North Beach, etc) or the Embarcadero, you'd probably find quite a bit more activity than in Montreal. To really get a feel for Montreal's pulse, you need to leave downtown.

Overall, I much prefer San Francisco which to me feels quite a bit larger than Montreal.
I don't know about that - parking in the Mission, Haight/Ashbury, Lower Haight, the Marina District, hell even the outer Richmond area (areas that are most definitely NOT part of downtown) can be an absolute nightmare. I once spent an hour looking for a spot in Lower Haight on a Wednesday night before I finally gave up and parked in an outer area and took a cab.

Overall, I'd say virtually anywhere in SF city limits, save a few areas, is terrible for parking.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:08 PM

311 posts, read 605,470 times
Love to see Montreal winning

Old 06-14-2012, 08:45 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
Love to see Montreal winning
It's called City-Data's North-American east-coast bias. This is proven by the fact that objectively speaking, SF beats Montreal in most categories (for example: climate, geography, population, diversity, GDP, skyline, density).

Old 06-14-2012, 09:22 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
It's called City-Data's North-American east-coast bias. This is proven by the fact that objectively speaking, SF beats Montreal in most categories (for example: climate, geography, population, diversity, GDP, skyline, density).
It's not that. When they rank cities on annual polls, it's a weighing of factors. The end result is mathematically determined. It's completely "head before heart." Sure, San Francisco is great to visit and when an Angeleno get his or her license, they drive "the triangle" at the first opportunity...that is, LA to Tahoe to San Francisco and down the coast to LA.

San Francisco, to me, has always seemed to be cocooned in one of those little glass half domes that you shake and snow or glitter falls. It's too "cute," expensive and pretentious...like it ought to be cordoned off, or something.

Toronto is in the east and more ethnically diverse than Montreal, and I don't care for it, so it's not an east/west thing. Montreal has a unique place in this world: a Francophone city that looks like it could be over the border in the US yet has palpably European sensibilities. It's immediately apparent. OTOH, Toronto doesn't feel much different from Chicago. Also, once you get out of Centre-Ville and some bolted-on neighborhoods, the neighborhoods further out are very salt-of-the-earth, affordable, diverse, and reached by transit, including the South Shore, Laval and the predominately Anglophone West Island.

I don't mind getting on the plane to leave San Francisco. Leaving Montreal is harder.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 06-14-2012 at 10:25 PM..

Old 06-14-2012, 11:13 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Montreal is a pretty remarkable and distinct city within Northern America, so I wouldn't be surprised if personal inclinations have people leaning towards Montreal. It really is a great city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City