Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is overall better?
Montreal, QC 180 59.60%
San Francisco, CA 122 40.40%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 07:55 AM

137 posts, read 220,145 times

Advertisements

He's baaack

Old 10-23-2013, 01:17 PM

124 posts, read 122,754 times
Climate: MTL
Quality of life: MTL
Crime: MTL safer
Stores/Shopping: Tie
School/College: Tie
Entertainment/Things to do: MTL
Diversity: SF
Economy: SF
Culture: MTL
Food: MTL
History: MTL
Overall beauty: MTL

Where would you rather live? MTL
Where would you rather visit as first timer? MTL

Old 10-26-2013, 05:03 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,604,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambados View Post
Climate: MTL
Quality of life: MTL
Crime: MTL safer
Stores/Shopping: Tie
School/College: Tie
Entertainment/Things to do: MTL
Diversity: SF
Economy: SF
Culture: MTL
Food: MTL
History: MTL
Overall beauty: MTL

Where would you rather live? MTL
Where would you rather visit as first timer? MTL
Pretty much what I would say as well except I'll give shopping to SFO
and college to MTL (McGill is an amazing school, the Canadian Harvard)

Old 10-26-2013, 08:52 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
Pretty much what I would say as well except I'll give...college to MTL (McGill is an amazing school, the Canadian Harvard)
Except the Bay Area is home to Stanford, UC Berkeley and UC San Francisco which all place in the world's top 20 universities as far as quality of faculty, students and alumni.

2013 Academic Ranking of World Universities
1 Harvard
2 Stanford
3 UC Berkeley

4 MIT
5 Cambridge(UK)
6 Cal Tech
7 Princeton
8 Columbia
9 U Chicago
10 Oxford(UK)
11 Yale
12 UC Los Angeles
13 Cornell
14 UC San Diego
15 U Pennsylvania
16 U Washington
17 Johns Hopkins
18 UC San Francisco
19 U Wisconsin-Madison
20 Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich(Switzerland)
21 The University of Tokyo(Japan)
22 University College London(UK)
23 U Michigan-Ann Arbor
24 The Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine(UK)
25 U Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Their methodology in creating this ranking is the most impressive I know of.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:06 AM

312 posts, read 494,145 times
WOW I've never been to Montreal but it must be amazing if it can beat God Francisco.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:17 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
^^ That ranking is good, but only relevant for STEM fields. If somebody is looking to get a PhD in Psychology or go to Law School or even have a well rounded liberal arts undergraduate education in preparation for an advanced degree, it's useless.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:56 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,769 times
Agreed, that ranking is more for grad students in the sciences than anything. It ranks relatively minor criteria, like research output, ahead of educational quality.

I mean, UCSF doesn't even do anything outside of grad sciences. It wouldn't even receive a ranking in a traditional survey of universities.

And then places like Berkeley, while obviously excellent, wouldn't be ranked above places like Yale, Columbia, Princeton, MIT, or Caltech, if we looked at schools as a whole.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:51 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen View Post
WOW I've never been to Montreal but it must be amazing if it can beat God Francisco.
Yes, Montreal is a really great city.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:41 PM

15 posts, read 81,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I'm beginning to believe that Bay Area is very different from everywhere else in North America as far as cities with crime and the concept of 'ghetto'. We don't really have any city that is totally void of decent to really nice areas(except East Palo Alto according to a long discussion we had in the SF forum). Anyway, Oakland(Pop 400,000) and Richmond(Pop 100,000) are not 'vicious ghettos'. They are cities with areas that have high crime and some poverty, but much of these cities is quite nice, even very desirable.

This Richmond home sold for 4 million dollars. Doesn't exactly scream 'vicious ghetto'. LOL

The Richmond Country Club isn't really a gang infested war zone either.

As far as Oakland, I could go on and on about great neighborhoods, the foodie and arts mecca Oakland has become, the artist, yuppie and hipster magnet Oakland has become, etc.

But long before the current infusion of culture, artists and yuppies, Oakland already had extremely well established and top tier neighborhoods.

Oakland

Oakland

And that's exactly my impression of Montreal from the jump. I was anticipating much more based on the hype I had heard in New York about how people dress up there, but I attended a society gala in Montreal and trust me, San Franciscans put the Montreal crowd to absolute shame, no contest.

There isn't even a stand alone Chanel store in Montreal-Instead it's a vendor inside of a department store(Holt Renfrew), I found that ironic and a bit embarrassing if you ask me. I mean, since Montreal has a much more intimate connection with France and Paris.

And quite frankly it says a lot about the market's ability, or rather inability, to sustain a store like that.

I hear retail space rentals need a bit of a nudge these days in downtown Oakland...

http://www.nationaljournal.com/next-...-come-20131011

Old 10-26-2013, 07:10 PM

124 posts, read 122,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen View Post
I'm dying to live in Montreal... So amazing!

Where do you live? You should really visit MTL especially in the summer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City