Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 01:00 PM

8,488 posts, read 15,030,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
That's not true. It might not buy the lap of luxury, but all of those cities have listings for condos well under $500,000. And some of the more outlying sections of Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston, and DC will have single family homes for about that or not much more. Housing is expensive in these cities, but mostly what is meant by this is that you are buying something smaller on less land. It doesn't mean there isn't anything that's affordable.
I didn't say you couldn't find anything for that price, I said not much. You might get lucky, but chances are you'll either be getting a really old (and not in the good way) house/building or a tiny place. As for the stuff on the friges as you say, that is true, but a lot of those houses are mid-20th century ranches and such. If you are going to buy one of those, why not just move to the burbs where it's cheaper?

Also, "nice" in my book doesn't necessarily mean luxurious.

As for spending $500k for something "nice" in Boston, DC, SF or LA....FORGETABOUTIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
yes many available

here is 450-550 seacrh

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...-450000-550000
It wasn't until to page 12 that I found the sub-$500k ones. Of those there were a lot of nice ones, but not $500k nice for the most part. If they were ~$300k or less, we could talk.

But as I qualified before, I think this exercise would be more successful in Philadelphia than the in the other cities in the thread.

*DISCLAIMER* The posts in the thread by Waronxmas are based on his personal preferences and are peppered by the last few months of house shopping in a few different cities that has turned his brain to mush.

Last edited by waronxmas; 06-13-2012 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 01:04 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,890,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Damn, those seem like some pretty nice places for those prices. The # of bedrooms/baths and square footage you can get in the city is really good. And the amount of land you get in the suburbs is a lot imo. My standards have clearly been lowered by living in overpriced CA. If all my family and childhood friends weren't here I'd easily choose Philly or Chicago if I had $500K to buy.
I would imagine that Philly gives you the most "bang for your buck".

In LA, If I'm looking to make some money off of the place, I would choose a condo/SFH/Duplex in either East Hollywood or Mid-City as they are both primed for gentrification.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...bile-home/pg-1

Old 06-13-2012, 01:19 PM

22,378 posts, read 39,009,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I didn't couldn't find anything for that price, I said not much. You might get lucky, but chances are you'll either be getting either a really old (and not in the good way) house/building or a tiny place. As for the stuff on the friges as you say, that is true, but a lot of those houses are mid-20th century ranches and such. If you are going to buy one of those, why not just move to the burbs where it's cheaper?

Also, "nice" in my book doesn't necessarily mean luxurious.

As for spending $500k for something "nice" in Boston, DC, SF or LA....FORGETABOTUIT

It wasn't until to page 12 that I found the sub-$500k ones. Of those there were a lot of nice ones, but not $500k nice for the most part. If they were ~$300k or less, we could talk.

But as I qualified before, I think this exercise would be more successful in Philadelphia than the in the other cities in the thread.

*DISCLAIMER* The posts in the thread by Waronxmas are based on his personal preferences and are peppered by the last few months of house shopping in a few different cities that has turned his brain to mush.
Fair enough; for me though would probably live in the below search zips

limited to 450-500K

To Sav - you definately get more in Philly (having lived in DC, NYC, SF I can attest - assume Chciago would be similar to Philly)

And you can get a decent home, city or burbs for 500K the more/most desireable area no unless you probably lower the expectations/amentities but compared to SF, absolutely cheaper

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...-450000-500000

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...bile-home/pg-1

above all CC or Queen Village or Bella Vista (many in the 19147 I may not look at, probably anything south of Christian to me at this point would be a no)

And this last zip in Chestnut hill

outside the city too many to list but this would be the 450-500 of interest to me personally in Philly

Old 06-13-2012, 01:22 PM

32,154 posts, read 34,833,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I would imagine that Philly gives you the most "bang for your buck".
Yes and no. The desirable areas of Philly are cheaper than those of some other cities, but there are fewer desirable areas overall. $500K might get you a nice 2-BR condo in the heart of Center City, but is that necessarily better than a Victorian off the rapidly gentrifying H Street corridor in DC?

\
http://dc.urbanturf.com/images/blog/...trinidad_2.jpg

Old 06-13-2012, 01:44 PM

Two bedroom condo/2 bath condo in the heart of Adams-Morgan.

Prince of Petworth Real Estate - Condominium - 1810 Kalorama Road Northwest, Kalorama

Here's the Google streetview:

1810 kalorama road northwest - Google Maps

I hate the exterior architecture, but the interior looks pretty nice. It's a prime location for someone who's in their late 20s/early 30s, and not yet tired of the non-stop party action.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:15 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,890,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yes and no. The desirable areas of Philly are cheaper than those of some other cities, but there are fewer desirable areas overall. $500K might get you a nice 2-BR condo in the heart of Center City, but is that necessarily better than a Victorian off the rapidly gentrifying H Street corridor in DC?

\
http://dc.urbanturf.com/images/blog/...trinidad_2.jpg
I didn't see DC in the "headline" - it would certainly provide some pretty great options (as evidenced by your post above).

Old 06-13-2012, 02:32 PM

27,676 posts, read 28,781,386 times
Well, I live in a Silver Spring home that was valued at $500,000 when I bought it. But I wouldn't get enough space for what I want if I moved into Northwest DC or even some places like Bethesda or Arlington.

Now, if you're talking about a $500,000 downpayment, then that gives some more options.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:19 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,998,260 times
Only thing Phily has going for it is that its cheap compared to LA or San Francisco. If you ask most people they would pick the California cities even though its out of their budget but people want what they cant afford.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:41 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,732,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Only thing Phily has going for it is that its cheap compared to LA or San Francisco. If you ask most people they would pick the California cities even though its out of their budget but people want what they cant afford.
Most probably would pick CA cities based on their image and popularity but that doesn't mean the only thing Philly offers is a lower cost of living.

Philly is close to DC and NYC, which are both great cities. LA is close to SD and SF is not close to anything. Plus rail transit connecting the whole Northeast Corridor, making it way easier to get places without a car than CA. They also have this thing called a "beach season" which doesn't really exist in Northern CA where you can enjoy yourself within an hour or two outside the city at a beach you can actually swim in, LA obviously does have that though. Those are some significant advantages Philly has over CA cities imo.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:51 PM

But if you're buying, are you really going to be concerned about what other cities are nearby? Or the beach? My main concern is the quality of housing and the quality of neighborhood I get for my money. I would rather own a very nice house 500 miles from the nearest beach than a mediocre house 1,000 feet from the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City