Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you Prefer? Philadelphia or Pittsburgh?
Philadelphia 145 51.06%
Pittsburgh 101 35.56%
Both 38 13.38%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 03:19 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLondoner View Post
Sadly for Pittsburgh, due to Philly and New York's cultural and historical similarities as well as their neighboring proximity, there's actually more to compare and contrast than Philly to Pittsburgh. And that's a fact.

Summersm and KidPhilly--this guy is a troll--I wouldn't waste your breath on it.
I would disagree. Both are cities, thats it, There is no comparing of Philly to NY in any way unless using outlying neighborhoods like the Bronx for the comparison. NYC has gentrified to a level filthy Philly will never, ever be able to touch due to politics, sprawling infrastructure and many other issues. If you like Philly, fine, but it's not realistic to say it match's NYC in most areas that make cities desirable.
Yes, Ive lived and worked in both

To stay on topic, I would gladly move back to Pittsburgh, never again, Philly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 05:50 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
LOL! Actually there are significant metrics about Pittsburgh (Not that I expect Philly homers that's never been west of I-81 to know anything about this) is more comparable to NYC than Philadelphia to NYC....Compare business climates of both cities for one, check out Class A office occupancy as another..check out job density as another...I'll just leave it at that.

You Philly homers are laughable joke.

Again I'll believe U City passes Oakland when the data proves it....until then, whatever! It's just silly Boosterism.

Pittsburgh = is an Over Performing for a city of its size

Philadelphia = is an Under Performing for a city of its size

Which is why the 2 cities have can comparable metrics and one out performs the other in some cases. Regardless of what the Population total may suggest should be non-comparables.
Yes, the city of Philadelphia under-performs for it's size and yes the city of Pittsburgh over-performs. This is just comparing cities and not metros though. Although Center City is still the largest employment hub in the state, Montgomery County actually has the most jobs in the state. Most of Philly's business moved to the suburbs between the 50s-90s but they are starting to move back now and that's why we're excited. The city is seeing a renaissance and the entire core (not just Center City) has never been so vibrant. Neighborhoods like Fairmount, Spring Garden, Northern Liberties, Hawthorne, Graduate Hospital, Templetown are seeing full scale neighborhood changing redevelopment. Walk down blocks in these neighborhoods and literally the entire block is being rebuilt. That's what is exciting about Philly. It's only a matter of time before it gets to where it should be and it's growing pretty quickly.

UCity 10 years ago was half of what Oakland is, but it is now neck and neck with Oakland in employment, there is more being built in UCity than Oakland, and UCity has nearly triple the population of Oakland. UCity is growing much faster than Oakland and will surpass it easily in the next few years.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I was just over in West Philly 3 weeks ago, passed through U City myself.....I don't see U City passing Oakland anytime soon... I mean Oakland is the 3 largest CBD in the state, or are you going to keep denying that fact as well?

Google Maps my friend.
You're using Google Maps as your metric for comparing size? Center City is BY FAR the largest employment node in the state. We'll give Pittsburgh second even though the Route 202 corridor in Montgomery County easily surpasses Downtown Pittsburgh, we won't consider it a CBD.

For Central Business Districts:

1. Center City, Philadelphia- 288,227 jobs
2. Downtown, Pittsburgh- 153,224 jobs
3. Oakland, Pittsburgh- 79,896
4. University City, Philadelphia- 79,368

Not as big of a difference as Pitt residents suggest. Just 10 years ago UCity had 64,000 jobs.

Total Jobs per acre:

1. Center City, Philadelphia- 203
2. Oakland, Pittsburgh- 134
3. University City, Philadelphia- 85
4. Downtown, Pittsburgh- 66

http://definingdowntown.org/wp-conte...townReport.pdf

Population:

1. Center City, Philadelphia- 92,000
2. University City, Philadelphia- 48,589
3. Oakland, Pittsburgh- 22,210
4. Downtown, Pittsburgh- 7,796

CC- Center City District / Central Philadelphia Development Corporation Of Philadelphia
UC- State of University City | University City District
DP- http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...rwO7HanRlucUA&
sig2=kwrcmLFC_gFXqcgqosrc2A&bvm=bv.54176721,d.aWc& cad=rja
OP- http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.aWc&cad=rja

Here is info on population change and employment change for Philly. Can anyone find it for Pittsburgh and provide a link?

Center City
Change in population 2000-2010: 16.3%
Change in total jobs 2000-2010: 7.4%

University City
Change in population 2000-2010: 5%
Change in total jobs 2000-2010: 29.8%

Old 10-16-2013, 07:44 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
You're using Google Maps as your metric for comparing size? Center City is BY FAR the largest employment node in the state. We'll give Pittsburgh second even though the Route 202 corridor in Montgomery County easily surpasses Downtown Pittsburgh, we won't consider it a CBD.

For Central Business Districts:

1. Center City, Philadelphia- 288,227 jobs
2. Downtown, Pittsburgh- 153,224 jobs
3. Oakland, Pittsburgh- 79,896
4. University City, Philadelphia- 79,368

Not as big of a difference as Pitt residents suggest. Just 10 years ago UCity had 64,000 jobs.

Total Jobs per acre:

1. Center City, Philadelphia- 203
2. Oakland, Pittsburgh- 134
3. University City, Philadelphia- 85
4. Downtown, Pittsburgh- 66

Population:

1. Center City, Philadelphia- 92,000
2. University City, Philadelphia- 48,589
3. Oakland, Pittsburgh- 22,210
4. Downtown, Pittsburgh- 7,796

CC- Center City District / Central Philadelphia Development Corporation Of Philadelphia
UC- State of University City | University City District
DP- http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...rwO7HanRlucUA&
sig2=kwrcmLFC_gFXqcgqosrc2A&bvm=bv.54176721,d.aWc& cad=rja
OP- http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.aWc&cad=rja

Here is info on population change and employment change for Philly. Can anyone find it for Pittsburgh and provide a link?

Center City
Change in population 2000-2010: 16.3%
Change in total jobs 2000-2010: 7.4%

University City
Change in population 2000-2010: 5%
Change in total jobs 2000-2010: 29.8%

You clearly would have a hissy fit if I dissed anything about Philadelphia but you clearly stated earlier in this thread without facts that university city and king of Prussia has more jobs than both downtown Pittsburgh and Oakland. Since I found a website that disproved that you changed your opinion to now its growing faster and will soon pass. Stick to one point.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
You clearly would have a hissy fit if I dissed anything about Philadelphia but you clearly stated earlier in this thread without facts that university city and king of Prussia has more jobs than both downtown Pittsburgh and Oakland. Since I found a website that disproved that you changed your opinion to now its growing faster and will soon pass. Stick to one point.
Can you pull up that exact statement of mine? I remember saying that the KOP area or the Route 202 corridor had more jobs than Downtown Pittsburgh (which it does), but that is not a Central Business District it's more of an employment node or multiple ones all connected along Route 202. Then I said University City had more jobs than Oakland. I was close, it only has a couple hundred less, and is growing at out 30% a decade. If I remember correctly, Pittsburgh has one of the slowest job growth rates in the country. I don't know exact job growth rates but I'm willing to bet, with all the new construction in University City and virtually no new construction in Oakland, than that means University is growing much faster.

I am certainly willing to admit when I'm wrong and I even just said that Pittsburgh over performs for a city it's size and Philadelphia under performs for a city it's size since Philadelphia's employment has been spread far and wide across the metro area (Center City, University City, King of Prussia (Route 202 Corridor), Cherry Hill, Wilmington, etc. etc.)

Last edited by RightonWalnut; 10-16-2013 at 08:12 PM..

Old 10-16-2013, 09:25 PM

Tallest Buildings

Oakland, Pittsburgh
1. Cathedral of Learning- 535 ft
2. Litchfield Tower B- 262 ft
3. Heinz Chapel- 253 ft
4. UPMC Presbyterian Hospital- 235 ft
5. Litchfield Tower A- 226 ft
6. Thomas Detre Hall- 214 ft
7. Thomas E. Starzl Biomedical Science Tower- 203 ft

University City, Philadelphia
1. Cira Centre South- 600+ ft- not yet built- approved- will start construction within months
2. Cira Centre- 437 ft
3. The Evo- 407 ft- construction
4. 3601 Market- 320 ft- pre construction
5. Harrison College House- 299 ft
6. Hamilton College House- 299 ft
7. Harnwell College House- 299 ft
8. Beurger Center For Pediatric Care- 292 ft- construction
9. Smilow Center for Translational Research- 290 ft
10. Lancaster Square- 279 ft- pre construction
11. 38th and Chestnut- 278 ft- pre construction
12. Sansom Place East- 264 ft
13. Sheraton University City- 263 ft
14. 3535 Market- 250 ft
15. Penn Medicine Biomedical Research Building- 247 ft
16. Penn Tower- 241 ft
17. Abramson Pediatric Research Center- 219 ft
18. University Square- 218 ft
19. Penn Steller-Chance Laboratories- 215 ft
20. University Crossings- 213 ft
21. Drexel LeBow Hall- 212 ft
22. Chestnut Square- 210 ft
23. 3737 Market- 205 ft- construction
24. Blockley Hall- 204 ft

Old 10-17-2013, 11:08 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
You have provided no numbers what so ever on Oaklands total employment. At least I tried. I don't have time to keep looking up nonsense.

Also, seriously?! KOP and Montgomery County are one of the largest economic engines in the states. The Route 30 and Route 202 corridors employee more people and have more companies than the entire city of Pittsburgh. You have GOT to be kidding me.

The mall employes something like 7,000 employees. So take out the mall and you still have a significant amount of employees in KOP and this is not including the surrounding areas. You are missing all the businesses based in KOP and all the office buildings and office parks in KOP and the surrounding area. You are too funny.

Lastly, I tried finding GDP statistics before for specific areas and specific business districts. They just simply do not exist. But since KOP area and UCITY have more employees and more companies than Oakland, I would assume KOP and UCITY have higher GDPs
Answer to your first question ^
You did say the corridor, but if you count the whole county, 800000 people is a lot more than just 300000. Plus the land area is much larger. I'm not here to nit pick, but personally everything I read puts both cities near the top when it comes to jobs. Read this guy

http://www.pittsburghtoday.org/speci...orrow_2013.pdf

Quote:
Can you pull up that exact statement of mine? I remember saying that the KOP area or the Route 202 corridor had more jobs than Downtown Pittsburgh (which it does), but that is not a Central Business District it's more of an employment node or multiple ones all connected along Route 202. Then I said University City had more jobs than Oakland. I was close, it only has a couple hundred less, and is growing at out 30% a decade. If I remember correctly, Pittsburgh has one of the slowest job growth rates in the country. I don't know exact job growth rates but I'm willing to bet, with all the new construction in University City and virtually no new construction in Oakland, than that means University is growing much faster.

I am certainly willing to admit when I'm wrong and I even just said that Pittsburgh over performs for a city it's size and Philadelphia under performs for a city it's size since Philadelphia's employment has been spread far and wide across the metro area (Center City, University City, King of Prussia (Route 202 Corridor), Cherry Hill, Wilmington, etc. etc.)
Pittsburgh's job growth was slow for the beginning of this year, but has since gone way up, butt also you have to consider one major thing. The Delaware Valley is gaining more residents than the Pittsburgh region is (Pittsburgh is gaining a few thousand per year, wheras the Del Valley is gaining I'd venture to say 10,000+ per year). This means more jobs are available here than there, hypothetically. Also, Pittsburgh's current amount of jobs is at an all time high.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Job Growth | Department of Numbers

^Ah, finally can use government subsidized websites again

As for the new construction in Oakland that I see everyday:

New Large Dorm built by Pitt
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images...5e8ed19b0.jpeg

New Large Addition to Dental School
https://www.google.com/search?q=nord...%3B3072%3B2304

Addition to Chevron Building
http://www.nicholsonconstruction.com...enceCenter.jpg
https://www.google.com/search?q=nord...er%3B602%3B317

Public Health Building Addition
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...blicHealth.jpg

8 Story building, 5 story Parking Garage
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...akland-676105/

New Large Apartment Complex on Fifth Avenue
https://www.google.com/search?q=nord...44%3B450%3B299

Huge Project Being Designed, May take a few years to get off the ground, but MANY new large apartment and office buildings
http://www.pfaffmann.com/documents/O...0Plan_2002.pdf

Last edited by speagles84; 10-17-2013 at 11:19 AM..

Old 10-17-2013, 11:16 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
I think its tough to compare a place like Oakland to the KOP corrider - functionally so different. And depending on where you set the goal posts KOP (area) would be bigger or smaller

Good news for PA is we have two thriving and growing science and med job centers in Oakland and UCity

We should probably all be cheerleaders for both cities as they both help the state and in turn help the residents

Old 10-17-2013, 11:18 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
I like both about equally.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:24 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I would disagree. Both are cities, thats it, There is no comparing of Philly to NY in any way unless using outlying neighborhoods like the Bronx for the comparison. NYC has gentrified to a level filthy Philly will never, ever be able to touch due to politics, sprawling infrastructure and many other issues. If you like Philly, fine, but it's not realistic to say it match's NYC in most areas that make cities desirable.
Yes, Ive lived and worked in both
The "Old Guard" is dying off in Philly -- nothing stays the same forever.

And it would be in Philly's best interest not to gentrify in the same manner as NYC. Housing costs there are prohibitively expensive for normal people, unless you think you are able to live next to someone in the Trump family.

As shocked as you may be to hear it, the city continues to revitalize itself. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to see the city's assets, although some people let some litter cloud their judgement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City