Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you Prefer? Philadelphia or Pittsburgh?
Philadelphia 145 51.06%
Pittsburgh 101 35.56%
Both 38 13.38%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 11:27 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I think its tough to compare a place like Oakland to the KOP corrider - functionally so different. And depending on where you set the goal posts KOP (area) would be bigger or smaller

Good news for PA is we have two thriving and growing science and med job centers in Oakland and UCity

We should probably all be cheerleaders for both cities as they both help the state and in turn help the residents
That's exactly what I'm saying. Honestly they two places are very similar, I live in Oakland, and I've been through UC many times. Although I don't agree with Summers about everything, I think we have two of the greatest secondary business districts in our cities, anywhere in the country. But I also don't like to see someone saying Oakland is stagnant, because clearly, its not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 12:14 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Answer to your first question ^
You did say the corridor, but if you count the whole county, 800000 people is a lot more than just 300000. Plus the land area is much larger. I'm not here to nit pick, but personally everything I read puts both cities near the top when it comes to jobs. Read this guy
That was in a response to Blackbeauty (as you can tell by the aggravated tone). The Route 202 Corridor is more like a bunch of employment nodes bunched together, and although it is a huge economic/employment center for the Philadelphia metro, I would never consider it a CBD. The third largest CBD in the Philadelphia area would be Atlantic City or Wilmington, DE. But they are both outside of the state of PA so that is a moot point.

Quote:
As for the new construction in Oakland that I see everyday:
Quote:

New Large Dorm built by Pitt
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images...5e8ed19b0.jpeg

New Large Addition to Dental School
https://www.google.com/search?q=nord...%3B3072%3B2304

Addition to Chevron Building
http://www.nicholsonconstruction.com...enceCenter.jpg
https://www.google.com/search?q=nord...er%3B602%3B317

Public Health Building Addition
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...blicHealth.jpg

8 Story building, 5 story Parking Garage
Office, hotel complex proposed for Oakland - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

New Large Apartment Complex on Fifth Avenue
https://www.google.com/search?q=nord...44%3B450%3B299

Huge Project Being Designed, May take a few years to get off the ground, but MANY new large apartment and office buildings
http://www.pfaffmann.com/documents/O...0Plan_2002.pdf
The Oakland Portal project looks great! That could be a great project. Looks similar to the plans around 30th Street station. UPenn, Drexel, Amtrak and Brandywine Realty Trust are all working together to redevelop the area. This plan could take a few years as well.

Here is Drexel's plan when it was just them
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.dmg&cad=rja

Now everyone has joined in on the redevelopment of the area:
Making plans for 30th Street Station - Philly.com

Old 10-17-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
That's exactly what I'm saying. Honestly they two places are very similar, I live in Oakland, and I've been through UC many times. Although I don't agree with Summers about everything, I think we have two of the greatest secondary business districts in our cities, anywhere in the country. But I also don't like to see someone saying Oakland is stagnant, because clearly, its not.
I never said Oakland was stagnant. I even said I'm sure Oakland was growing. It just seems, from my perspective, that UCity is growing faster. It is growing by nearly 30% in jobs a decade and the sheer amount of new construction in UCity is evident that the trend is continuing through to this decade. The projects under construction NOW will create 300 or so jobs which will put UCity literally right behind Oakland. If Cira South gets off the ground that will create another couple hundred jobs. If FMC signs on with Cira South (which it's looking more and more likely), than that will be another 600 jobs in UCity.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:12 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post

I don't know exact job growth rates but I'm willing to bet, with all the new construction in University City and virtually no new construction in Oakland

That's what I took from the statement here.

Quote:
I never said Oakland was stagnant. I even said I'm sure Oakland was growing. It just seems, from my perspective, that UCity is growing faster. It is growing by nearly 30% in jobs a decade and the sheer amount of new construction in UCity is evident that the trend is continuing through to this decade. The projects under construction NOW will create 300 or so jobs which will put UCity literally right behind Oakland. If Cira South gets off the ground that will create another couple hundred jobs. If FMC signs on with Cira South (which it's looking more and more likely), than that will be another 600 jobs in UCity.

All I'm saying is Oakland is growing and expanding too, just like University City is. With two universities in its midst, its very very similar. At the moment I don't have a job growth percentage over the last decade for Oakland, but I'm sure it may not be as high as 30%. But I'd venture to say its quite high; "UPMC has added an average of 2,000 to 2,500 jobs per year over the past few years" -http://triblive.com/business/headlines/4053451-74/upmc-jobs-nuance#axzz2i0YQq8mO (Although the article does say it may have much closer to a net jobs of 0 to 500 this year.)
Assuming 5 years adding 2000 per year, that's 10,000 jobs, which alone would account for 14.3% growth from 70,000 in 2000.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
All I'm saying is Oakland is growing and expanding too, just like University City is. With two universities in its midst, its very very similar. At the moment I don't have a job growth percentage over the last decade for Oakland, but I'm sure it may not be as high as 30%. But I'd venture to say its quite high; "UPMC has added an average of 2,000 to 2,500 jobs per year over the past few years" -http://triblive.com/business/headlines/4053451-74/upmc-jobs-nuance#axzz2i0YQq8mO (Although the article does say it may have much closer to a net jobs of 0 to 500 this year.)
Assuming 5 years adding 2000 per year, that's 10,000 jobs, which alone would account for 14.3% growth from 70,000 in 2000.
Well these numbers are 2010 numbers

1. Center City, Philadelphia- 288,227 jobs
2. Downtown, Pittsburgh- 153,224 jobs
3. Oakland, Pittsburgh- 79,896
4. University City, Philadelphia- 79,368

http://definingdowntown.org/wp-conte...townReport.pdf

Old 10-17-2013, 03:49 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Oakland and University City are definitely comparable overall, but there are some differences, IMO, that lean more heavily in University City's favor. Oakland mostly caters to a "state school crowd." University City caters to an "Ivy League crowd." Both have their pluses and minuses. As an undergraduate, the "state school crowd" was more my speed. As a grad student, I appreciate that University City has more to offer in the upscale and sophisticated department. I have no qualms conceding that crime is more of a persistent issue in University City, along with Philadelphia in general.

Right now, University City has a lot more upscale construction projects than Oakland. University City also has more going on for non-college students. Oakland's version of Baltimore Avenue is Craig street, which is nice and all, but has a sub-business district that only stretches two blocks.

The biggest advantage University City has, though, is that it's linked so closely with Center City. Historically, the first couple blocks over the Schuylkill were a bit of a dead zone, but with all the new projects going up, the two are bound to become more closely linked than ever. Oakland is separated from Downtown (which, like most American downtowns, is far more workday-focused than Philly's) by the Bluff, though that part of town does have potential.

Philadelphia and Pittsburgh both offer a lot of the same positive things. Philly tends to have more in most metrics by virtue of its size. The difference is noticeable, but generally not overwhelming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I would disagree. Both are cities, thats it, There is no comparing of Philly to NY in any way unless using outlying neighborhoods like the Bronx for the comparison. NYC has gentrified to a level filthy Philly will never, ever be able to touch due to politics, sprawling infrastructure and many other issues. If you like Philly, fine, but it's not realistic to say it match's NYC in most areas that make cities desirable.
Yes, Ive lived and worked in both

To stay on topic, I would gladly move back to Pittsburgh, never again, Philly
Hey there Lion-O, Philly's changed a lot since 1992, *snarf* *snarf*. I don't think Philly will ever be New York either, given that among American cities, New York is inherently in a league of its own. Don't pretend that New York isn't dirty though. Don't get me wrong, the place has a lot of upsides, but cleanliness, even in its nice neighborhoods, isn't one of them.

Interestingly enough, the creator of ThunderCats was a Pittsburgh native.

Quote:
Well these numbers are 2010 numbers

1. Center City, Philadelphia- 288,227 jobs
2. Downtown, Pittsburgh- 153,224 jobs
3. Oakland, Pittsburgh- 79,896
4. University City, Philadelphia- 79,368

http://definingdowntown.org/wp-conte...townReport.pdf
I figured Oakland and University City were pretty much head and head. Philly's job base is more spread out than Pittsburgh's, but that isn't necessarily a terrible, horrible thing. IIRC, corporate/white-collar jobs in the Chicago metro are even more scettered, although it would obviously be nice if Center City continued to augment its business presence (which it's certainly been doing).

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 10-17-2013 at 04:25 PM..

Old 08-06-2014, 12:58 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Philly is just way too far East for me. On my Rand McNally Road Atlas, Philly looks like its pretty much evolved into a suburb of New York City.

I believe I'd have to go with Pittsburgh with all its grit, grease, grime and glory.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:42 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Philly is just way too far East for me. On my Rand McNally Road Atlas, Philly looks like its pretty much evolved into a suburb of New York City.

I believe I'd have to go with Pittsburgh with all its grit, grease, grime and glory.
That's fine if you prefer Pittsburgh, but Philadelphia is in no way, shape, or form a suburb of NYC.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:45 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,264,181 times
Better football franchise, better hockey and baseball. And of course better Beer IC!

Old 08-06-2014, 07:04 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
That's fine if you prefer Pittsburgh, but Philadelphia is in no way, shape, or form a suburb of NYC.
Only amongst a few peple on CD does it seem like people like to think this idea. People I know from Philly do not venture to NYC as much as some on here give the impression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City