Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is better?
Pacific Northwest 50 70.42%
Deep South 21 29.58%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 04:22 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,380,397 times

Advertisements

The Appalachian South is usually not considered a part of the Deep South.

If we're just going by the five states the OP offered, then that area counts, but those states do not solidly entail what is the real Deep South.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:28 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,784,913 times
Considering I moved from the South to the Pacific Northwest, and haven't missed it for one millisecond, not a single facet of it, I think my answer should be pretty obvious.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:30 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,074,667 times
of course why am I not surprised that another City-Data thread has less to do with the discussion and more to do with how the original question is wrong and that we have to decide on regions. Use whatever definition you want, I was just reminded why I took a long hiatus from this board. I'm out.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:35 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,380,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
of course why am I not surprised that another City-Data thread has less to do with the discussion and more to do with how the original question is wrong and that we have to decide on regions. Use whatever definition you want, I was just reminded why I took a long hiatus from this board. I'm out.
Okey dokey.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:50 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,768,289 times
PNW overall is probably a better region overall but New Orleans alone has more soul and character than the entire Pacific NW combined imo.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:00 PM

27,732 posts, read 28,848,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
PNW overall is probably a better region overall but New Orleans alone has more soul and character than the entire Pacific NW combined imo.
Interesting that you say this. New Orleans and the surrounding part of Louisiana is the only place I've been to in all of these states.

BTW, here are a couple of stats:

Population of Pacific Northwest states/province = 16.7 million

Population of Deep South states = 26.9 million

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 06-21-2012 at 06:12 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 06:11 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,775,118 times
If this was high school, the Pacific Northwest would be the geeks and the Deep South would be the jocks.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:31 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,571,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
If this was high school, the Pacific Northwest would be the geeks and the Deep South would be the jocks.
Maybe.

But at the same time once you get outside of the main urban metros(Portland, Seattle) or a few other college towns(Eugene, Bellingham), much of the Pacific Northwest is rural country populated by gun-loving rednecks who love to hunt and fish and love their trucks(sort of like much of the rural South). Once you get east of the Cascades you're basically in cowboy country that resembles Nevada or Wyoming more than Western Oregon. Once you get to Idaho, you're either in the Old West or you're in Mormon country that's closer in feel to Utah.

Just as fairly liberal cities like Atlanta and New Orleans aren't representative of the whole Deep South region in some ways, Portland and Seattle don't represent the entirety of the Pacific Northwest--although they often do in the popular mindset.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:44 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,784,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Maybe.

But at the same time once you get outside of the main urban metros(Portland, Seattle) or a few other college towns(Eugene, Bellingham), much of the Pacific Northwest is rural country populated by gun-loving rednecks who love to hunt and fish and love their trucks(sort of like much of the rural South). Once you get east of the Cascades you're basically in cowboy country that resembles Nevada or Wyoming more than Western Oregon. Once you get to Idaho, you're either in the Old West or you're in Mormon country that's closer in feel to Utah.

Just as fairly liberal cities like Atlanta and New Orleans aren't representative of the whole Deep South region in some ways, Portland and Seattle don't represent the entirety of the Pacific Northwest--although they often do in the popular mindset.
This is definitely true. A couple of months ago I was up near Birch Bay on a bike ride, and I stopped for a break at a gas station during rush hour. I had to keep reminding myself that I wasn't back in Tennessee, what with all the lifted diesel trucks with no mufflers. Actually, I think there might have been more lifted trucks than back in the south!

Old 06-21-2012, 06:52 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,571,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
This is definitely true. A couple of months ago I was up near Birch Bay on a bike ride, and I stopped for a break at a gas station during rush hour. I had to keep reminding myself that I wasn't back in Tennessee, what with all the lifted diesel trucks with no mufflers. Actually, I think there might have been more lifted trucks than back in the south!
Yup...

Hell, there's ads all over in the Portland suburbs over the last month for two huge rodeos on 4th of July weekend featuring , just 40 minutes to the south of downtown Portland in St. Paul and Mollala featuring bull riding and plenty of country music. Once you get out of a certain range of Seattle or Portland, the Northwest urban liberal stereotypes dissipate rather quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City